Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-25-2004, 07:21 AM   #1
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Question Fat Guy and a Freedive Gun

Now you would think, lucking out with an 8th place pick I had basically the entire table of very expensive scuba gear to pick from and what do I do………..The fat “bubble blower” picks out the longest freedive gun on the rack. My buds looked at me in utter disbelief. I always wanted to try one and I never would have bought one so getting it as a prize made sense. Could I have picked a more expensive prize? Yes, but I’m not one to pick for resale, I pick for what I want and in many cases what I want is generally something I don’t need.

This is where things get difficult. The Rob Allen rail gun is a device of beauty as is any fish killing device that have had a lot of thought put into it. I stared at it all the way home, admiring its’ length and sharp lines awaiting the time when I got home to really get a good look at it………..You know, cocking it and swinging it around,,, pointing it at the cat……Don’t laugh, all of you have done it! When I got home I ran into the bedroom, put on my Speedos and thew that long thing of beauty up on my hip and…………………….HOW THE F#*k DO YOU COCK THIS THING!!??!!.....Now I would like to think that I’m pretty strong and could cock any manufactured speargun on the market but I about blew a nut out trying to get the first band on! I said to myself that SLAYER had this exact gun and although I never actually saw him cock it, he always came up with fish!?! So I sat back and thought about it for awhile……Hmmmmm, I remember seeing one of those fancy freediver wet suits with a “loading pad” in the middle of the chest. Bingo!!! That must be the trick!!!......Shizit! When I put the handle to my chest and stretched out my arms they were a solid 20” from even making contact from to the band!.... This is BULLS@#T!!! Somebody Must be playing a joke on me!......You know that I can not sleep until I cock this thing, so after about 6 attempts at hip loading, with tears running down my cheek I made the first knotch. After 4 more attempts I managed to get the second band piled up on the same knotch as the first……I then devised that I could easily put the butt to my chest and move the last band into place in the back knotch….. Here I stand, holding enough stored energy to enable nuclear fusion!!............Now I’ve slayed quite a few dragons in my time, and all with a single band hornet loaded with a spear twice the diameter of the Rob Allen. What fish could possibly need this much power!! Are these Euro Palagics hiding behind 1972 Lincon town car doors!?! What am I missing here besides all the hair in the middle of my chest that is permanently embedded into the rubberized handle of my new Euro weapon!.........And if you think cocking this thing was hard you should try uncocking!!!! Needless to say I need some advice. So please let me into the inner circle and explain to me exactly how to cock this thing.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

HHmmmnnnnnn..I think the reson that you can't reach the band isn't that your arms are too short or the bands are too short, but rather that your tiny tensy tummy is getting in the way! Damn, thats funny!!!!!!!!!!]
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

LMAO!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Jaizzen
Team HeadHunter

Long Guns

Moose,

I have a freind named Chris who is 5'6" 145lbs who cocks all three bands and shoots one of those damn things (exact same gun you won) all of the time. He wanted to try my hornet, so I let him, we swapped guns for a dive. I'm 5'9" 210lbs and needless to say, I only shot one that damn thing one time, with one band (thats all I could get loaded!).

So my advice is Put it on E-bay, pretend that you never won it and take the money, and buy more freeshafts for your other gun.

The only other thing I was thinking was, maybe just one 3/4" band for that bad boy, I'd imagine it would get a shaft out there quite a distance with plenty of power.

By the way, when we were in the Keys, we were shooting Mango's and Muttons. Couldn't figure out why he needed the 65" bazooka to shoot this type of fish on reefs.

If you want to see something thats too funny. Watch a guy take a gun like that out look for the Pelagics, have the Pelagics not show up, and end up shooting reef fish. Thats not the funny part, the funny part is watching chris trying to thumb shoot mangos in a hole with a 65" bazooka.

Good Luck, Jaizzen
Old 05-25-2004, 07:46 AM   #5
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Grab the middle of the band with your right hand. Then push the gun away from you with your left hand so that the butt rests just under your rib cage and the gun is pinned to you. Reach out and grab the band with your left hand and use both arms to pull the band back towards your chest.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Kite has it. You can attach a mouse pad to your wetsuit with aqua seal for good pad. If you think those 16's are hard, I use a single, shortened 20mm band. I am interested to hear what you think of the gun. Remember that it shoots more like a pistol than a typical speargun in that you just sight down the spear and it goes exactly where you point it.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #7
Griswold
Chad

Dat's sum funny sheet.

Having a hard time getting the mental image out of my head.

Don't know what to tell people who see me laughing. Don't think I want to try to explain Kmoose in a speedo straining to load a speargun.
Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:34 AM   #8
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
lmao...that's funny moose!!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:34 AM   #9
Big Pig
Ken Jones

Moose

I beleive your loading problems may be due to wearing the wrong style of Speedo. When we were in Mexico, I saw a lime green he-back (luckily I didn't go blind). I am sure that if you were properly accessorized you would have no problem loading that gun.
Big Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I've been told a T back speedo is required for cocking the long railguns.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

My mental eye is now blinded
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #12
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thatssomefunny.jpg
Views:	2338
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	8656  
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #13
Slay Ride

OMG!!!! Cracking me up moose!!! I definitely think the speedo with tiny bannana hammock will help you cock that gun!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #14
Steel Shootin'

Moose, that post is GOLDEN! One of the funniest things I have read.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:10 PM   #15
joel mcqueen

YOUR PROBLEM IS YOU ARE NOT A SPEEDO WEARING EURO TRASH GAY ITALIAN SPEARFISHERMAN THOSE GUNS WILL NOT WORK FOR AMERICAN FISH KILLING MOOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
joel mcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote