Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Knip

First Post

Hello everyone. Relatively new to the sport, but after several pole spear outings I’m seriously considering pulling the trigger on an entry level gun. I will primarily be hunting SoCal inshore reefs and kelp beds, so from the research I’ve done and the budget I have, I think I’m going with a 100 cm, open muzzle Mako Predator. Am I right in thinking the 100 is a good size, or do more people go with the 90 for the environment I’ll be in? I don’t want to start a big debate, but I’ve read mixed opinions on other threads so I’m a little confused. Also, I noticed on the Mako website that I have the option to go with either a blue or green camo paint job for an extra 35.00$. Do you guys feel like this is worth the extra cash? Does it actually make a difference? Finally, I think I’m gonna go with two 16mm bands, but apparently I have the choice of 21”, 22”, or 25” length. I want to minimize recoil and have a relatively easy time loading it, but I don’t want it underpowered either. Suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Knip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Re: First Post

For a first gun id get a 90 with a single 20mm band, as for the camo it's just for looks I'd save the money
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
ChrisH

Hey. Also new to the sport. I too am looking at Mako guns. I'm near the LA/Ventura county line. If you're nearby and need a partner, let me know.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knip View Post
Hello everyone. Relatively new to the sport, but after several pole spear outings I’m seriously considering pulling the trigger on an entry level gun. I will primarily be hunting SoCal inshore reefs and kelp beds, so from the research I’ve done and the budget I have, I think I’m going with a 100 cm, open muzzle Mako Predator. Am I right in thinking the 100 is a good size, or do more people go with the 90 for the environment I’ll be in? I don’t want to start a big debate, but I’ve read mixed opinions on other threads so I’m a little confused. Also, I noticed on the Mako website that I have the option to go with either a blue or green camo paint job for an extra 35.00$. Do you guys feel like this is worth the extra cash? Does it actually make a difference? Finally, I think I’m gonna go with two 16mm bands, but apparently I have the choice of 21”, 22”, or 25” length. I want to minimize recoil and have a relatively easy time loading it, but I don’t want it underpowered either. Suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Sounds like a good choice. 100 cm with 2 bands. Slap a reel on it. Camo's up to you. Go 25" if they give you that option, then if it's not enough power cut them down a few inches.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
jfjf

I would get two bands: easier to load, more powerful than a single band, can load one band for shooting under rocks... just a better way for your first gun. The camo paint job is cosmetic only.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Knip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Hey. Also new to the sport. I too am looking at Mako guns. I'm near the LA/Ventura county line. If you're nearby and need a partner, let me know.
I'm down in OC and don't really get up that way much, but I'll shoot you a PM if I do. Feel free to do the same if you ever make your way down here. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Knip

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellc0321 View Post
Sounds like a good choice. 100 cm with 2 bands. Slap a reel on it. Camo's up to you. Go 25" if they give you that option, then if it's not enough power cut them down a few inches.
Thanks for the reply, that's kind of the setup I was leaning towards. One last thing though, would it be a good idea to get 2 bands of different lengths? For example, maybe one 25" for shooting around rocks or in holes and something stronger for open water? And if I used them together, would it screw things up if they're different lengths? Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but honestly the issue of band size/strength has been the most confusing part of the buying process.