Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-20-2019, 03:20 AM   #1
Andrew Makely

What I did with Makoa's barrel

I dont know how many people on spearboard bought a barrel from him but I thought it would be fun to start a thread for the different ways we built guns and what we thought about them. I am not very good about posting pics or even taking them but I will try.

My basic idea- build the best euro standard gun I can.
With my own ideas of what should work. Without a huge outlay of cash. So basically using what i have around a buying some other interesting pieces.

If I did this right my muzzle pick should be attached.

Pathos Dangelo 1 handle
ermes sub mech
120 cm carbon barrel
apnea muzzle
aussie reel

many parts will be modified in one way or another

Last edited by Andrew Makely; 11-20-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 AM   #2
Andrew Makely

Re: What I did with Makoa's barrel

I think this worked. Apnea muzzle. I threaded one hole and inserted a stainless bolt which I ground down to a small shark spike. Also will try to use a line guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muzzle 1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	244493  

Last edited by Andrew Makely; 11-20-2019 at 03:43 AM. Reason: I cant spell
Old 11-20-2019, 03:44 AM   #3
Andrew Makely

Gun is built and will go in the water for the first time tomorrow. I will take more pics and post them.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
musubi

I also bought a barrel from him. I thought of the idea to build another invert roller, but one that was geared more towards pelagics. The following is the setup you see in the pictures below:

- MVD Handle
- 120 cuttled barrel, gloss finish carbon
- MVD RAM invert muzzle
- 160 cm RA drop barb shaft

In the picture I had only one set of bands, but as it sits today, there's 4 sets. This gun is to be used with a bungee to float setup, no reel.

I hopped in the water several weeks ago to test the gun out on my target. It shot terrible shooting really low, but consistent.

I went back to the drawing board and did the following:

- I changed the shooting line from the aussie line (dyneema?) to mono. The aussie line was fraying quite a bit with the tight fit in the mech (RA notched shafts only have the rear hole attachment) and I was thinking the aussie line was maybe hanging up someplace.

- I fabricated another, longer, line release since the existing line release on the mech couldn't nicely hold my 400 lb mono without slipping off.

- Finally, I drilled another hole in the shaft, outside of the mech loading area. I'll later find out that this didn't work.

With all this done, I was momentarily happy. I loaded the spear, with the new mono placement, and slid the shaft along the carbon track. I immediately realized a problem, that the mono through the shaft was hitting the rail, because the rail sides were so tall. This is the same thing that was apparently happening to the aussie line attached at the back and one reason for the shaft dive. My only option with the shaft was to try and drill two more holes vertically to pin in a line hold. Long story short, I couldn't drill the holes because of the RA steel and ended up trashing my shaft.

Currently, I don't have an appropriate shaft for the gun and I'm not sure what to do. Obviously, get a shark fin shaft, but I'm having trouble deciding the thickness and brand.

Anyway, I'd love to see pictures of your gun!
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
popgun pete

As a quick and dirty you could try laying some old skool dymo tape in the track groove to lift the shaft up and see if then clearing the track sides with the line loop ends improves the situation.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #6
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I also bought a barrel from him. I thought of the idea to build another invert roller, but one that was geared more towards pelagics. The following is the setup you see in the pictures below:

- MVD Handle
- 120 cuttled barrel, gloss finish carbon
- MVD RAM invert muzzle
- 160 cm RA drop barb shaft

In the picture I had only one set of bands, but as it sits today, there's 4 sets. This gun is to be used with a bungee to float setup, no reel.

I hopped in the water several weeks ago to test the gun out on my target. It shot terrible shooting really low, but consistent.

I went back to the drawing board and did the following:

- I changed the shooting line from the aussie line (dyneema?) to mono. The aussie line was fraying quite a bit with the tight fit in the mech (RA notched shafts only have the rear hole attachment) and I was thinking the aussie line was maybe hanging up someplace.

- I fabricated another, longer, line release since the existing line release on the mech couldn't nicely hold my 400 lb mono without slipping off.

- Finally, I drilled another hole in the shaft, outside of the mech loading area. I'll later find out that this didn't work.

With all this done, I was momentarily happy. I loaded the spear, with the new mono placement, and slid the shaft along the carbon track. I immediately realized a problem, that the mono through the shaft was hitting the rail, because the rail sides were so tall. This is the same thing that was apparently happening to the aussie line attached at the back and one reason for the shaft dive. My only option with the shaft was to try and drill two more holes vertically to pin in a line hold. Long story short, I couldn't drill the holes because of the RA steel and ended up trashing my shaft.

Currently, I don't have an appropriate shaft for the gun and I'm not sure what to do. Obviously, get a shark fin shaft, but I'm having trouble deciding the thickness and brand.

Anyway, I'd love to see pictures of your gun!

Once you have it all rigged up again with all the bands, if you have a camera handy, I'd love to see how the bands lie when loaded? Are the clear of the belly or do they rub a tad?
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:48 AM   #7
Andrew Makely

Here is my Gun Built-

Took out today for first time. Definitely needs some tweaking but I am so happy once I pull the trigger. Drives nails right where I think it will. Is surprisingly heavy out of water but in the water needs ballast added to muzzle crazy bad! The line routing works but takes effort to string correctly and quickly. The sight picture is everything I dreamed it would be. The only improvement would be metal wishbones which I may consider but not sure is necessary. Handle shape seems right but need to dive with longer till I try to tweak and then hopefully wrap in carbon fiber and add the friction layer.

Still super happy. Pulled trigger probably 12 times with all kinds off different shots. Close, very far, awkward. Missed only twice and one was because of a Mu and the matrix effect. Got some of his scales though.

Bands came untied at loading point in the water and I had to retie. so if that looks rough that's why. Pictures were taken at end of dive day. Say hello to my trash can!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191120_162857.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	244504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191120_162840.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	244505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191120_162823.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	244506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191120_162817.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	244507   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191120_145721.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	244508  

Old 11-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #8
Andrew Makely

Another detail-

I did foam fill the barrel. Worked exactly like the video. Then sealed with marine sealant to insure that no water would infilltrate the foam. I used 4lb and seems great. Gun is heavy on handle side but muzzle needs weight. we see how it feels once I balance it out.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 AM   #9
Andrew Makely

And thanks for the update musubi! Hopefully it comes together soon!
Old 11-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Once you have it all rigged up again with all the bands, if you have a camera handy, I'd love to see how the bands lie when loaded? Are the clear of the belly or do they rub a tad?
I took videos of me shooting the gun, so I might have a picture still I can nab off of the videos. To answer your question though, the bands rub the belly of the barrel. The bands have the ability to lay nice (in a row without one being on top of the other), but it's rather cumbersome to do in the water. The best is for me to fabricate brackets at the pulleys to spread the bands out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Makely View Post
And thanks for the update musubi! Hopefully it comes together soon!
I have a 7mm RA shaft (wire fin) coming in today. Not sure if my gun will be too powerful for it, but if so, I could adjust back down to 3 sets of bands. I'll post another picture later how it sits now with all of the bands. By the way, do you know which shaft you have? 7mm?

Nice to hear your setup shoots accurately! Nice catch too. Yeah I swear those Mu's jump my shot sometimes. You're over on Maui right? I've been meaning to head there to visit a friend for a dive/deer hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
As a quick and dirty you could try laying some old skool dymo tape in the track groove to lift the shaft up and see if then clearing the track sides with the line loop ends improves the situation.
That's a good idea that I didn't think about. The issue with my setup is I don't have much vertical play in my mech to accommodate much lifting of the shaft. I had to do a lot of sanding and shimming to get the shaft to slide in nice as-is. It wasn't fitting nicely originally. Plus my RA drop barb shaft is literally junk. My mistake. I tried to heat it up so I could drill it. It worked, but the shaft bends super easily now. It's almost funny. Lesson learned.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
popgun pete

You can retemper the shaft by heating it up again and cooling it rapidly by plunging it into water, just make sure it is straight when you do it. Oil is normally used, but water will do as you are only doing the tail. Roll the shaft on a hard flat surface and bash it with a hammer to straighten it.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
Andrew Makely

QUOTE-I have a 7mm RA shaft (wire fin) coming in today. Not sure if my gun will be too powerful for it, but if so, I could adjust back down to 3 sets of bands. I'll post another picture later how it sits now with all of the bands. By the way, do you know which shaft you have? 7mm?

Nice to hear your setup shoots accurately! Nice catch too. Yeah I swear those Mu's jump my shot sometimes. You're over on Maui right? I've been meaning to head there to visit a friend for a dive/deer hunt.

I Have a Sigalsub 160cm x 7.5mm on it right now. Cheap shafts from scubastore, but not really my favorite. I think that a 150cm x 8mm would work good. Not sure if it will fit in the track though. I wish the Rob Allens had the bands slot further back because they are so much tougher than the other shafts I use.

Yes I am here on Maui. Shout at me if you get a chance to come over.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 AM   #13
Andrew Makely

I definately at some piont need to tear the muzzle down and smooth all the metal edges a bit more. I will have to monitor wear on the spectra line anchoring the bands. Would hate to have one side of a loaded band cut free and hit me in the face!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:44 AM   #14
Andrew Makely

Musubi- did you polish that barrel? Its so much prettier than the one I got.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #15
Andrew Makely

I also need to take of the muzzle and polish down the edges more for sure