Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
hau
peskadot

New GoProBlack3+ advise please?

I just bought a new GoProBlack3+ and need advise please
(Some of my use background is that I have a MacBook Pro and hope to use my GPB3+ about 4 hours a day, 2-3 days a week while yak freedive/spearfishing.)
So:
1. What is the BEST card to buy?
2. Should I buy a spare battery?
3. Should I buy a spare card?
4. What external hard drive should I buy and use for my Mac?
5. What editing program would you suggest I use for my GPB3+?
6. What other advise and or suggestions could you offer to help a computer challenged new GoProBlack3+ user, make good videos?

Thank you for help and constructive advise.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: New GoProBlack3+ advise please?

1 sandisk EXTREME 32 gb, ive found that the cards they sell wherever you buy the cameras should work too, but the footage must be on your computer and off your card to work and be viewed properly.
2 yes, and buy the battery backpack as well
3yes, 16gb should do fine, but a 32 is always nice.
4 something that is either usb3.0 or firewire
5 lightroom,imovie, finalcut, or the gopro software(i cant get it to work on my mac but it probably because its old and im stupid)
6 practice practice practice
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Sandisk extreme 32g
Wasabi spare batteries and charger. I found these batteries last just as long as go pros
If you pull the footy off the card every night you only need one card

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
frankt
apneist

ps3 for editing
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
hau
peskadot

Thanks to all here who graciously took the time and effort to help me and others learn how to best operate the Gopro Black 3+
Getting all the components together has been slow for me, but I should have everything together in the next couple of weeks. I am compiling all the information I can before hand. Also all the great help here has helped me to buy the correct stuff (memory cards, batteries, etc).
Thanks everyone
______
Old 12-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hau View Post
I just bought a new GoProBlack3+ and need advise please
(Some of my use background is that I have a MacBook Pro and hope to use my GPB3+ about 4 hours a day, 2-3 days a week while yak freedive/spearfishing.)
So:
1. What is the BEST card to buy?
2. Should I buy a spare battery?
3. Should I buy a spare card?
4. What external hard drive should I buy and use for my Mac?
5. What editing program would you suggest I use for my GPB3+?
6. What other advise and or suggestions could you offer to help a computer challenged new GoProBlack3+ user, make good videos?

Thank you for help and constructive advise.

Hau! Glad to hear from you again old man! Hope everything is going well. I just got a 3+ black as well and found that I go through A LOT more memory than my Hero 2. I would get the sandisk Extreme 64. I burned through a whole 32 the other day and had to change my card about 3/4 of the way through the day.

Definitely buy at least 2 spare batteries. Dont buy the battery backpack because it adds more bulk to the unit. Just change the batteries when they're done. I bought the offbrand ones on amazon that were $20 for 2 batteries with charger.
Amazon.com: Smatree Battery (1200mAh x 2 Packs) and Charger kits for GoPro HD HERO3, HERO3+ and GoPro AHDBT-201, AHDBT-301, AHDBT-302: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Smatree Battery (1200mAh x 2 Packs) and Charger kits for GoPro HD HERO3, HERO3+ and GoPro AHDBT-201, AHDBT-301, AHDBT-302: Camera & Photo

You should definitely buy a spare 32. Especially if you forget to take your footage off the card from one day, you can use the other. Additionally, if you fill up your first card, you can always use a second.

Honestly, you dont need the Extreme card, any Class 10 card will suffice and be considerably cheaper. This is the one I have.
Amazon.com : SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A) : Micro Sd Cards : Electronics Amazon.com : SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A) : Micro Sd Cards : Electronics

I can't comment on Mac Externals, but get something over 2TB because you're going to need it. I filled up 1TB in a year with my Hero 2. I know how much you dive and you'll probably fill up 2 TB this year. I just bought this 4TB External, but idk if it will work with mac.
Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 4 TB 3.0 USB Desktop External Hard Drive (STBV4000100): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 4 TB 3.0 USB Desktop External Hard Drive (STBV4000100): Computers & Accessories

Final Cut Pro is the best software to use for video editing on a mac. It's pretty bad ass.

Play with the settings on your Go Pro, I shoot in 1080 at 60fps with protune on. The high FPS on the black 3+ make a world of difference when you're doing slow mo effects on videos!

Feel free to call me and talk about it. would love to catch up with you!

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
hau
peskadot

Wow fishingdude--thanks for taking the time to write all that great advise. Much appreciated sir
I would love to be able to make great videos like yours. You have been shooting some beautiful fish.
Thanks Ben
Old 12-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Adelito

HAU,

good to see you back....I have undergone a temporary retirement as well..... I'm sure the reef needed a break! Hopefully I'll see you around, still got that blue hobie?

p.s. I'm holding off until February before I even think of buying a new gopro, something tells me the rush will be over, prices will be a lot better......
Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hau View Post
Wow fishingdude--thanks for taking the time to write all that great advise. Much appreciated sir
I would love to be able to make great videos like yours. You have been shooting some beautiful fish.
Thanks Ben
No problem! It's the least I can do after all the things you've shown me about Spearfishing! Have you been out spearing a lot? Or still doing the triathlons? Would love to catch up with you this week while I'm in town. Hit me up I still have the same number.

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
hau
peskadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
HAU,

good to see you back....I have undergone a temporary retirement as well..... I'm sure the reef needed a break! Hopefully I'll see you around, still got that blue hobie?

p.s. I'm holding off until February before I even think of buying a new gopro, something tells me the rush will be over, prices will be a lot better......
Adelito--Yep, I'm STILL out there.
The reefs HAVE gotten a break since you have been gone. You always produced fish every time you went out
The blue hobie has been gone for a while now, I sold it to finance 2 more scupper pros
Thank you for the kind words sir
Old 12-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
hau
peskadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingdude View Post
No problem! It's the least I can do after all the things you've shown me about Spearfishing! Have you been out spearing a lot? Or still doing the triathlons? Would love to catch up with you this week while I'm in town. Hit me up I still have the same number.
Thanks for the kind words fishingdude
I'm STILL spearin
I'm STILL doing triathlons
I show all my friends your videos and proudly tell them that I knew you way back when you were a new spearo
You have a PM sir
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #12
hau
peskadot

ANOTHER GoPro3+ question
Gopro.com says that the GoPro3+WiFi remote is waterproof. I looked at many youtube videos of people putting their GoPro3+ WiFi in the water but I still am unclear.
Question 1. Can I use my WiFi remote in the water while freedive spearfishing to say 100fsw to control my GoPro or will it flood/malfunction/not connect?
Question 2. Has / does any other spearos use the Wifi underwater while spearing?
Thanks for all your help
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #13
daramos13

according to the package on the GoPro 3+ Black the remote is only waterproof 10'.
daramos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
hau
peskadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daramos13 View Post
according to the package on the GoPro 3+ Black the remote is only waterproof 10'.
daramos---duuuuh, you are WAY smarter than me bro. YOU read the instructions and I DID NOT Thank you sir for helping me.

All---NOW, what would happen if I put my remote in a small clear soft dry pack like this phone case from www.drycase.com
Would my remote connect and control my GoPro while in the DryCase?
Thanks again
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
daramos13

well i most have misread your original questions where you stated that you were aware the wifi remote can go underwater ?????
anyways to answer your question wireless signal of 2.4 gHz which is what gopro uses has difficulty traveling underwater (think microwave which cooks uses approx 2.45 ghz freq.) While a goPro wifi signal can only travel a few inches underwater this would decrease in salt water and even more so at depth do to higher density of water at increseing depths... no one as far as i could tell has made this experiment but you the remote may work at VERY close range (few inches)
daramos13 is offline   Reply With Quote