Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
SpearfishingTdy

Polespear only in 2017 (worried spearo)

I am a simple spear fisherman living here in Mexico, I care about the underwater world, I am passionate about our sport of spearing, but I am worried.
Donīt shoot me, these are just my thoughts... Polespear only in 2017.
https://spearfishingtoday.com/news/s...esponsibility/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spearfishing Polespear Power Responsibilty.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	230661  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
PikeInSalt

Re: Polespear only in 2017 (worried spearo)

I agree with you to a certain extent. I see many pictures on IG of guys slaying baby fish by the dozens and it annoys me. I would personally rather work harder to shoot a large snapper instead of the barely legal snapper that swarm you on the bottom. Lets be honest though, does spearfishing in any fashion put a significant dent in fish populations when compared to commercial fishing practices? The bycatch for those operations is ridiculous. I think we should all stop shooting parrotfish and triggers, I've read studies showing they are directly linked to the health of a reef system. And lets be honest, triggers especially are super dumb, no sport whatsoever. I find your attitude commendable, but still think you are pointing out the tiny iceberg while the ship is heading for the cliffs.
PikeInSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

I take it you are one of the Playa Del Carmen guys?
Pike said it perfectly, it is not about what we use, it is only about the stewardship of the resources of this Planet.
~ I like shooting my world class guns, I hunt only for food, I don't kill breeders.
I am really looking forward to meeting you, we could have a great time spearing and cooking.
Even though I am stuck in San Antonio Tx. for most of the year, I know about several VERY good spots up and down the coast.
I have been drifting the Costa Maya reef system for 30 years.
I am glad that you are posting here at Spearboard.
Cheers, Kerry.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
hydroid

If I had to go "pole spear only" may as well take up basket weaving out here. Or maybe start hunting at the local grocery store.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
SpearfishingTdy

@pikeinsalt Thank you! I agree. Work harder for a catch more challenging. We spearos have a great opportunity to choose our fish, we should use it. About the influence on fish population compared to commercial fishing. Short term huge difference. Though... with wrong attitude long term the effects could be similar (numbers, illegal bycatch, etc). I do see here in our area (caribbean part of Mexico) spearos (also charters) that started to sell the catch. We all know people always ask "hey got some fish for me". Sharing is good. Charging money not. Then you entered commercial fishing. And you will hunt for extra $$$. As said I see that happening here to a local charter and the catch went from 1 big permit to 10 a trip. That is very concerning to me.

@Slingshaft THAT is funny Kerry. One of the Playa del Carmen guys, haha. True. Playa del Carmen is one of my locations (we have 6 in this area). I like your attitude. World Class gun with a World Class Attitude. Sounds good to meet one day. I posted my words on my own website last week and then got strongly recommended to take it down or not to spread the word. THAT wont happen. I stand behind my words, I am worried. One does not have to agree with me at all. BTW in 30 years you must have seen a change.

@hydroid Got you. Here not easy either, but.. I will go for it.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Polespearo
Waterman

For a while i used to get or secure my food (first fish) with speargun and then spend the rest of the day with the polespear, now i fish way less often so only use polespear for specific hunts. and use speargun to feed my family and freeze some fish for the weeks i don't spearfish.

I agree with you in many ways, but at the same time and with a different line, i have been more and more in disagreement with separating and splitting categories, in my region, Baja California Sur, more and more they make special laws and management plans to limit spearfishing and leave rod and reel unaffected. out of all that, my take is = it shouldn't matter how you catch it but what you actually catch, so you want to use magic speargun or rod and reel and catch 5 or polespear it should be the same, max number of fish, min and max sizes and NO Bicatch. then it wouldn't matter, we would all be cool with whatever we choose to use, speargun vs polespear vs rod and reel, vs anything

For example, we have a 5 fish limit, if i hit a fish and for some reason if the fish tears or i loose shaft or whatever, i still count it towards my 5 cause even though i didn't end up eating it, i still killed it (no guessing if it will survive or not, shot = dead)

I think is good that you are bringing an important topic to the table and good on you to do your part. On top of what you are doing your most important effort i believe would be to EDUCATE AND GENERATE COUNCIOUSNESS in your clients, cause no good is to save a fish through your actions, but get hundreds of clients per year to thousands of fishes through your business. (hope this doesnt sound like an attack on your business, i emphasize that IF you bring conciousness and generate good habits in your clients, then the more clients that go through your business the better, cause they will leave educated, and i am also not implying that you don't do it, just some ideas)

happy 2017 and if you want to target some species that are not in your area, let me know i will be happy to take you around here.
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
SpearfishingTdy

@polespearo. Hola La Paz! Quintana Too here. Very good point you mention there. I agree that it doesn't not matter how you get your fish. Different methods, same rules. As I mentioned in my article I am proud of my team as we do educate. This means beginners they will start excellent, they start for the right reason and we implant consciousnes. Experienced spearos, well, it is a natural selection. We at SpearfishingToday are very firm in representing spearfishing the way it should be. This is not appreciated by everybody and they will go automatically to other charters that cross lines in many ways. I state that everybody that knows SpearfishingToday and/or me personally will be able to acknowledge that. Feliz aņo nuevo, and we might meet in 2017.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
AaronC
Sponsor

Great idea. I've often thought of doing this. Though, I think there's a time and a place for a speargun, I don't think we need a triple roller on the reef. haha. It is one of my goals to use a sling or polespear more instead of a speargun. As you said, if you start using them more, your forced to become a better hunter.

I think we can all do a little better at preserving our natural resource for future generations. We may not be the main source of the problem, but if we all do our part......

I want my kids to be able to enjoy this awesome sport too.

F.I.I Certified Freedive Level 1 Instructor offering courses in the Tampa Bay area. Private courses also available upon request.
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
SpearfishingTdy

@AaronC Well said! Feliz aņo nuevo!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Spearo_beero

I enjoyed the article and the mindset. I am a new to the sport still so I really got a lot from your article. Thank you for that. I have to agree with some of the others in that I feel its all about educating people on the "code of ethics" that come the sport and not the latest gear. I am going to show this article to my buddies. Thanks again!
Spearo_beero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #11
SpearfishingTdy

@spearo_beero GREAT! Appreciate you spreading the word! Saludos amigo!