Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 1st. Annual Costa Rica Blue Water Hunting Open January 19-23, 2009

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #46
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Re: 1st. Annual Costa Rica Blue Water Hunting Open

I'd like to know why you picked Samara? The place has been off the map from tourists for a quite a long time. Now you're attempting to build this annual tournament there and of course all the contestants and organizers will tell their friends how great of a place it is and in turn those friends will tell their friends and the next thing you know Samara has turned into another Jaco.

Why didn't you run it out of Tamarindo, Matapalo, or Mal Pais?
FishDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #47
virgili

Quote:
why you picked Samara?
In my modest opinion, three basic parameters are imperative, if you plan to organize an international bluewater hunting tournament:

The weather, probably the most important/ inescapable concern. I have been observing for the last years how the weather is sunny/ stable in this area during the dry season and how the open sea is very calm every year in January. (I have been doing several spearfishing trips to the Nicoya coast from Dec to April, 2 to 3 times a year). In that case the Pacific blue water is impressive (like a lake) and the visi incredible!

The fish: hunting off an about 100 miles wild coast from Nosara to the south (Cabo Blanco) without any touristic center/ marina... Obviously a lot of fish but also a lot of amazing encounters: whales, giant manta rays, giant turtles and different kind of huge dolphins schools...

The boats: 6 sportfishing boats? this was first hard to find in this isolated place but we made it...

Welcome aboard!
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #48
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgili View Post
In my modest opinion, three basic parameters are imperative, if you plan to organize an international bluewater hunting tournament:

The weather, probably the most important/ inescapable concern. I have been observing for the last years how the weather is sunny/ stable in this area during the dry season and how the open sea is very calm every year in January. (I have been doing several spearfishing trips to the Nicoya coast from Dec to April, 2 to 3 times a year). In that case the Pacific blue water is impressive (like a lake) and the visi incredible!

The fish: hunting off an about 100 miles wild coast from Nosara to the south (Cabo Blanco) without any touristic center/ marina... Obviously a lot of fish but also a lot of amazing encounters: whales, giant manta rays, giant turtles and different kind of huge dolphins schools...

The boats: 6 sportfishing boats? this was first hard to find in this isolated place but we made it...

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for responding.

That weather pattern is prevalent throughout the country during that time of year.

100 miles? Where will you be fueling up 6 boats in Samara to make 100 mile trips? That's a LOT of diesel. Within 40 miles (as a crow flies) to the north your in Tamarindo, a huge fishing center. Within 60 miles west your in Playa Herradura, or better known now as Los Suenos, another huge fishing center. 50 miles west your in Puntarenas, CRs only major shipping port. Amazing encounters? I thought this is about shooting fish, not taking pictures. Regardless, all the species you listed can be found anywhere along the Pacific Coast of CR.

Isolated place. Exactly. It's off the beaten path and hasn't grown into a Jaco or Tamarindo for a reason. Tamarindo, Playa Herradura (Los Suenos), Mal Pais, or even Quepos could've satisfied all the "basic parameters" you listed.

Anyways, I've been visiting CR for over 10 years and Samara has always been a really special place to me and I'd HATE to see it turn into a Los Suenos, Jaco, or Tamarindo. That's the only reason why the chosen location is upsetting to me. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic tournament and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #49
Wahooooo!

Are you serious? You really think a spearfishing competition is going to turn it into a Jaco? and yes I went to CR for the first time in 1990 .

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #50
scubadown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooooo! View Post
Are you serious? You really think a spearfishing competition is going to turn it into a Jaco? and yes I went to CR for the first time in 1990 .
I agree... I always hate it when people start saying that if you hold a spearfishing tournament that the place is going to be over run with thousands of people and the fishing is going to go to shit.... Even if every competitor in this tournament was to do really well and tell their friends I hardly dought that the place would become a tourist attraction. Best of luck to everyone... Dive safe. and Good luck...
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:03 AM   #51
virgili

Hi James!
Good to hear from you!
We got recently 2 new registered divers from CA and FL: one spot left now.
Seems to me that months ago you were interested/ motivated in taking part... You should share your nice personallity and your fighting spirit with spearos from the Blue Planet on a "pura vida" spot!
Welcome aboard!
A pic taken in January 08...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00254.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	85962  
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #52
FishDie
Habitual Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooooo! View Post
Not overnight, of course not. You can't deny that holding touraments and such and then posting pictures and stories all over the internet won't bring more attention to an already off the path town though.

You've seen the changes that have taken place down there if you've been traveling there since 90, they're not good.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 AM   #53
Wahooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDie View Post
Not overnight, of course not. You can't deny that holding touraments and such and then posting pictures and stories all over the internet won't bring more attention to an already off the path town though.

You've seen the changes that have taken place down there if you've been traveling there since 90, they're not good.
You're right, I've seen the changes and that is why I don't go anymore. There is very little about CR that is "off the path". It is a beautiful place with friendly locals and awesome ocean activities but the truth is they have been receiving more than a million tourists a year for the last ten years. I just dont think a spearfishing tournament, with maybe a few hundred people that will participate or hear about it, will make any difference in a country that receives 1,000,000 + tourists a year.

If I had the money in time I would love to participate in this tournament. To meet world class divers in a beautiful place with the chance at world class fish.

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #54
BTSpearfishing
Matt MD

Anybody needing a Blue Water Speargun for this event please contact us. We are having a sale on the Blue Water Models. In Tommy Botha's photo that is our Andre Speargun Gold 160 next to that prize fish.

Blue Tuna Spearfishing
sales@bluetunaspearfishing.com
www.BlueTunaSpearfishing.com
BTSpearfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #55
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSpearfishing View Post
Anybody needing a Blue Water Speargun for this event please contact us. We are having a sale on the Blue Water Models. In Tommy Botha's photo that is our Andre Speargun Gold 160 next to that prize fish.
Ummm, I don't think so! I have been with Tommy a lot, handled that gun often, and that gun is his own manufactured gun with which he has taken some 80 tuna off Cape Town. But I do acknowledge that the Tommy Botha guns and the Andre guns are almost identical...apart from a few minor differences.

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #56
scubadown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgili View Post
Hi James!
Good to hear from you!
We got recently 2 new registered divers from CA and FL: one spot left now.
Seems to me that months ago you were interested/ motivated in taking part... You should share your nice personallity and your fighting spirit with spearos from the Blue Planet on a "pura vida" spot!
Welcome aboard!
A pic taken in January 08...
I have always been interested in going... But with this bad economy and cost of everything going up. I just can't make both Your tournament as well as Dennis Hausslers in La Paz... So I am having to give up some of my travels and pick more carefully the trips I take... Sorry.... I would love to make this and participate... Maybe you would like to sponsor a friend??? I wish all the participants a safe and fun trip...

James Hardesty
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #57
virgili

Quote:
to sponsor a friend...
I planned to help a spearo colleague at the moment the Open recruiting began.. That I did in helping a Cuban colleague (and friend), one of the best spearo on the place, in taking part to the Open. As an experienced sportfishing boat Captain he earns probably about 30$ per month... a one day skiper tip in Costa Rica.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will get the authorization to travel out of Cuba!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #58
AJRABIE
Cape Town, South Africa

Tommy BOtha makes his own guns, I also know him and he shoots with his own range of guns. Very similar gun, tommy's is just less bling!
Cheers
Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #59
virgili

Quote:
Tommy BOtha makes his own guns
I brought back from SA this tuna gun made by T. Botha. I don't have obviously any complaint about this speargun...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T Botha gun.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	86370  
Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #60
kill em all

If at any point during this event you do here heat from anyone about a harvest of billfish just send those fellas over to Martec in Quepos and show them what any longline boats bring back to the dock everyday. While sport fishermen are using circle hooks and releasing fish safely local longliners will bring 200-300 sailfish and marlin back to the dock to be sold to Sams Mart and Costco in the States as whatever. JUST WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE FACTORY SHIPS FROM TAIWAN WITH 2 CHOPPERS SETTING A PURSE SEINE WITH A 5 MILE DIAMETER KILLING EVERY YELLOWFIN TUNA, BILLFISH, AND SPINNER DOLPHIN THAT EXIST. And anytime you here pura vida it pretty much means F-YOU. Kill what you want - Anything goes in the third world - have fun and wish you guys the best in this event. - Albie
kill em all is offline   Reply With Quote