Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver
Oregon Hole gun

Hey folks,

Spent the past few days building this gun using spare parts and some leftover wood from a custom home build my folks did.

She's still in need of epoxy coating and a butt pad but otherwise she's ready to go.

Out here we have pretty crappy vis and often times find fish in holes so short maneuverable spearguns are desirable most days. This one should do well even on those great days with 20' of vis when the fish are out in the water column.

We'll say 35" mid handle minus with four vertical laminates, Tin Man's AR handle, neptonics reef mech, Riffe shaft, Mako reel, and some home made line guides.

I wanted to test out some ideas I had on making line guides with SS bolts one can easily pick up at home depot. I am happy with the result as they save money and are just one more thing a guy can build himself without paying a machinist or spearfishing company. I used a drill, a dremel, and some files to profile the pins.

Thanks for looking. I've got a few more "serious" gun builds coming down the pipeline so this was a warm up of sorts.

- Casey

Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Coos-spearo

Re: Oregon Hole gun

Looks perfect. I have often thought the Koah would be great but it has an enclosed track. The Riffe metal tech makes a small mid handle, however, I think wood guns have soul. I hate the giant shark fins as they ruin a lot of meat and they are a pain in the ass to rethread through the fish. I am actually thinking about grinding them down on a 5/16" Riffe shaft i use on the Euro 55 for Oregon. You are always welcome in Coos Bay if you come my way to test it.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Xylophone

I dig that line guide hardware. I made a muzzle line guide for my 32" hole gun with a bent up ss pop rivet.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Devildiver
Casey H.

Thanks gents! I have used bent SS rod in the past as well but thought a shaped bolt might look good and be easily obtainable.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Xylophone

Probably doesn't matter too much, but I would recess the ar grip plate before doing the epoxy.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylophone View Post
Probably doesn't matter too much, but I would recess the ar grip plate before doing the epoxy.
Agree. It would raise your hand higher resulting in less muzzle rise when you fire.

Beautiful work!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
Straits

Hi Devildiver,
Nice gun.
Few questions if you don't mind.

Whats the SS metal lip in the 3rd picture? Looks like it is on the bottom? of the gun but can't see in other pics?

Is the short spear overhang like that because it is for short dirty work? Does it affect accuracy? Does it matter?

Do you have an pics of the SS bolts pre drilling and dremel'ing? How are they fixed in position? Screwed? Glued?

Cheers
Straits
Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
Devildiver
Casey H.

Thanks for the input gents. I've been away and not able to post much online.

Straits:

The SS metal lip is the SS bolt cut down. It originally had a line anchor above the contoured lip you see but I decided to get rid of that feature.

The short spear is because in our murky waters, accuracy isn't much of a concern but maximizing band stretch to penetrated a large ling cod is. I'd guess that the longest shot I've taken on a fish out here is 8-10'.

I don't have any more pics of the bolt but the threaded portion is buried in the stock and will be epoxied in place. Given that there will be no axial force trying to pull the bolt out I could probably get the pins to work just fine with wood glue or loctite or even chewing gum!