Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Sureshotshane

Santa Cruz Island (June 3-8)

Hey Folks, my buddy and I will be making a trip to Santa Cruz Island June 3rd. We are roughing it on his boat for 4 nights. Weather dependent of course. I'm wondering what harbor you all recommend launching from (Ventura CI harbor or Oxnard?) I've only ever been out of Ventura, and I really liked the facility. We will probably start at the East end of the island work our way west. We mostly want to dive but all of our hook and line gear will be onboard. Anyone been out there recently? Any fish? Any squid?

The plan is to dive during the day and hook line the early mornings and at night. Anyone know if there are any squid recently? We want to try our hand at jigging some squid for bait which we've never done.
Sureshotshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Santa Cruz Island (June 3-8)

...At the risk of offending Lompoc and giving away his secret spots, I will share this...Santa Cruz island has been the hot spot for those in the know for the last two weeks....ALL the hook and line guys have known this for over a week, so, I see no harm in sharing the info with fellow divers. Besides, the weather has been so snotty, few are getting over there lately to give it a shot.
...There are some spots of squid but, not a lot insofar as I can determine...Looks like many of the wsb bypassed Catalina (probably due to not much kelp, therefore, few squid stopping to attach their eggs to kelp leaves). If the squid bail, so do the wsb…wsb follow the bait and won't be there forever, so...
...Look for a weather window and go for it..the trick is to find a safe spot between the hook and line weekenders who are better at tying a fish hook; than properly running a boat....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 05-26-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 AM   #3
Sureshotshane

Thanks Bob, I don't live down there so I can't really keep up on it as easy so I really appreciate the information. Hopefully the fish hold for a week or more. Do the squid/fish usually hang out very long? Or completely unpredicatable? We will see I guess!
Old 05-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

After chasing the ghosts for many years, I have come to the conclusion that what I know can be written on the palm of my hand...here today, gone tomorrow, depending on numerous factors....the trick is collecting info to narrow down the factors or...like most, just go out and give it your best shot...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Lompoc Local
Errin

Yes, please stay off my spotz, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you very much

While the H&L guys have been getting some fish, it is by no means wide open and divers have had a much more difficult time locating fish.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
aus
squid

No squid backside of Cruz, Most all the seabass being caught at Cruz are coming off of big clumps of red crab, find lots of red crab and toss the closest thing that acts like a red crab at it. Squid is up at rosa and that’s where the fishing has been consistent. Halibut has been good intight at Cruz. Dive every bit of kelp that has life, there’s not much of it out there. Good luck have fun!!
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #7
Sureshotshane

Thanks guys! That's good information. I'm going to the island whether or not the fishing is good or bad. You only get so many days of vacation a year, it's all planned so can't control nature. I just like to be on the water. I just hope for some calm seas so I can at least attempt to spear something. Not sure what the plan is going to be if we drive the 650 miles and the ocean won't cooperate.