Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
spearocaleb22

Cobia regulation

Anybody else here that they are moving Cobia from 33' inches up to 38' inches....... Is it just me or is that total garbage
spearocaleb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Re: Cobia regulation

You are correct. According to an email notice from the FWC, 38 inches to the inside of the fork will be the new game. I'm not sure as to the date that it becomes law. I've deleted the email.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/...0/cobia-draft/

" ... Cobia draft changes were approved and will be brought back before the Commission at the September meeting for a final public hearing. These changes are based on species biology, input from stakeholders, and will promote the continued sustainable management of this fishery.
Cobia
Draft rule changes for cobia to be brought back before the Commission in September for a final public hearing include:
Creating a Gulf/Atlantic management boundary defining all state waters north of the Monroe-Collier county line as “Gulf state waters” for purposes of managing cobia.
Increasing the minimum size limit in Gulf state waters from 33 to 38 inches fork length.
Making the recreational and commercial bag limits in Gulf state waters the same by reducing the commercial trip limit from two to one fish per person.
Reducing the recreational and commercial vessel limit in Gulf state waters from six to two per vessel per day... "

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.

The Pope flies to Greece to tell Christians to love Muslims, why doesn't he fly to Iraq and tell Muslims to love Christians?
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
CuzzA

I don't have a problem with the bag limit per se'. One cobia is a lot of meat, but damn, 38" is a big fish. Does anyone have a link to a study where they are basing this size increase on? Is a 33" cobia considered a non-breeding adolescent?
CuzzA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Watergator

I don't know for sure where they came up with 38", but I work in aquaculture and market sized cobia (~33") still display linear growth instead of logarithmic. In fish, this usually means that they are not reproductively mature because growth slows when energy begins going into gonads development. I'm in favor of the shift because I've seen first hand the decline in migrating cobia over the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
Watergator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
Funny how they are now protecting an invasive species like Cobia. Pretty soon there will be rules and regs for Lionfish. Science is awesome.

Please educate me on the invasiveness of cobia to the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/3542

They have been introduced in the eastern pacific through an aquaculture escape, but reproduction has not been confirmed as far as I know.

Watergator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watergator View Post
I don't know for sure where they came up with 38", but I work in aquaculture and market sized cobia (~33") still display linear growth instead of logarithmic. In fish, this usually means that they are not reproductively mature because growth slows when energy begins going into gonads development. I'm in favor of the shift because I've seen first hand the decline in migrating cobia over the last few years.

This A 33" is a peanut juvenile compared to a migrating adult. Ten years ago it was nothing to see Cobia on local wrecks 50+ lbs and up.

These pics were back more than 12 years ago when it was nothing to take home a ling log every weekend. I thought the Gulf was an endless bounty of big fish back then...... I was 100% wrong.

Fishing pressure, techniques, sonar and high definition charts don't leave many places left to hide. Solid management practices (imperfect as some may be) are way better than the free for all that went on for way too long in the Gulf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70 LB COBIA.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	234734   Click image for larger version

Name:	cedar cobias 60 and 40.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	234735  
Old 08-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
Triton