Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
freedivemd

Re: Any spearos in the Washington, DC area?

Guys,
I'm always looking for freedive buddies - and it seems kinda rare in our area. We should all keep in touch even if we don't all meet up very often.
I gotta go fix dinner. Hope some of this pans out!
John
freedivemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #17
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivemd View Post
Michael,
Where do you live, how deep is the pool? John
Moving into Charles County, end of the month. The pool is small, but 9ft deep and good for workouts, as long as it's not for straight laps.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Oh, David...we'll get a proper gun in your hands to chase 'hoo and cobia with.
Although, the Gat-Ku polespear is a fav too.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #19
fishyak
Going deeper!

Hey guys,
I'm out of town until the 26th but would love to get together for some apnea work. I did the FII level 2 course with Martin a few years ago.

I've got both free and scuba kit. for playing with fish free is preferred but i'm not a purist

Beers, separately, are good too. I'll make some more ruckus when I get back to see where this thread has gone.

Oh and I have a 40' trawler to play on (currently on kent island). We live aboard and bob around the bay most weekends. Anyone interested in scratching together some gas money for an offshore trip? Sleeps 5, comfortably, but would have to include myself and my girlfriend. There is also floorspace, of course.

"You gotta watch out if you don't know where you're goin', you just might not get there." -Yogi Berra
fishyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #20
freedivemd

David (or anyone)
I'm planning on a pool workout this Thursday 11th, 8-10 pm . You're welcome to come along. Keep in mind that there is a small chance that the Masters will occupy the diving well and we won't get to go deep (13 feet) - but usually the diving well is open. In any case we can practice dynamics and breath holds in shallow lanes.
John
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #21
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Thanks for the invite John! We're still dealing with the escrow stuff, but once settled, it's game on!

Excellent idea keeping everyone in touch with each other. I'll PM more contact info to you, Gabe and David.

Cheers!

Last edited by 'o Cino; 06-10-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #22
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldon View Post
Hey I live down in Pocomoke (just south of Salisbury). I moved out here a year ago from So. Cal. and am looking for dive buddies that I don't have to drive down to NC to dive with. I do have advanced open water and Nitrox, but I prefer to freedive. If you're looking for someone to buddy up with give me a shout.

Jermaine
* I copied Jermaines post from my duplicate thread, which I'll end.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #23
David Lysy

Won't be able to make weekday afternoons due to work, nor generally make it on a Friday at 7pm as we don't get home from work with the kids until after 7pm in Silver Spring. That said, I could plan to bail from work early to meet up with you out in Annapolis for a pool session at some point down the road (would require the wife leaving work early and the kids being pulled from daycare early too).

Regardless, psyched to join up with ya at some point sooner than later.

Quote:
OK. I usually practice Friday evenings 7-9 pm - deep end usually empty then. But not his Friday - out of town.
Also sometimes weekday afternoons 1-4 pm

Last edited by David Lysy; 06-10-2015 at 03:19 PM.
David Lysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #24
David Lysy

It'd be great to meet up and use your pool. I've been limited in what I can do so far due to lack of training partners. I was a lifeguard for 5 years as well (back in high school/early college). I also have wilderness EMT training and used to do swiftwater rescue.

Indeed, pysched to meet more of the tribe. Glad to know that there are at least a few other freedivers/spearos in the DC area.

If you were in Silver Spring trying to get to a cousin's in Georgetown, then I feel for ya. That's lost! We live in Silver Spring and my wife works at Georgetown, so I know the commute between the two very well (twice a day every day). My recommendation -- GPS!

As an aside, Gorgazzo Springs looks ridiculous! Why would you move away from that to dive in the dark and dirty Chesapeake?!? Such is our lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'o Cino View Post
Hey Guys, when we move into our home, it has a pool. I'm a lifeguard, and won't harass anyone for buddy apnea sessions. Super psych'd to meet more of the tribe.

David, I'm in a hotel near Arlington for now. We were lost in Silver Springs last weekend looking for a cousins home in Georgetown! If you have a chance, google Gorgazzo Springs in Italy. It's the last site I dove apnea and scuba.

Last edited by David Lysy; 06-10-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #25
David Lysy

Agreed

Quote:
Guys,
I'm always looking for freedive buddies - and it seems kinda rare in our area. We should all keep in touch even if we don't all meet up very often.
I gotta go fix dinner. Hope some of this pans out!
John
Old 06-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #26
David Lysy

Definitely interested. I'm trying to take the level 1 class with Bo here in DC, but his June and July offering haven't aligned with my schedule. Hoping to take his August offering if it comes to be.

As an aside, I might be able to get in water on June 27th or 28th (next available weekend), but then will be out of pocket until July 18-19. I'll be back in town from RI, but my wife will have my truck up there with the kids, so I'll be vehicleless. I drive them back to DC the weekend of July 25-26. I should be in town most weekends thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyak View Post
Hey guys,
I'm out of town until the 26th but would love to get together for some apnea work. I did the FII level 2 course with Martin a few years ago.

I've got both free and scuba kit. for playing with fish free is preferred but i'm not a purist

Beers, separately, are good too. I'll make some more ruckus when I get back to see where this thread has gone.

Oh and I have a 40' trawler to play on (currently on kent island). We live aboard and bob around the bay most weekends. Anyone interested in scratching together some gas money for an offshore trip? Sleeps 5, comfortably, but would have to include myself and my girlfriend. There is also floorspace, of course.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #27
David Lysy

Thanks for the invite, but I can't make it this time. Normally 8-10pm will be a sweet spot for me, but I've got a fellowship application that I need to finish Thursday night to submit by COB on Friday.

That said, please keep me in mind for any late night sessions. I normally go to the climbing gym from 9-11pm after my kids go to bed. Don't know how late your pool is open, or how late you like to be there, but from my end the later the better.

Thanks,
d

Quote:
David (or anyone)
I'm planning on a pool workout this Thursday 11th, 8-10 pm . You're welcome to come along. Keep in mind that there is a small chance that the Masters will occupy the diving well and we won't get to go deep (13 feet) - but usually the diving well is open. In any case we can practice dynamics and breath holds in shallow lanes.
John
Old 06-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #28
freedivemd

Hi David,
I understand about the schedule with kids - I've got two of my own.

The Arundel Olympic Swim Center hours:

Mon-Thurs - closes at 10pm, risk of bumping into Masters, but shallow lanes always open

Friday - closes at 9pm, 7-9pm usually is almost empty, best time to practice

Sat closes at 4pm- crowded, high risk of springboard divers keeping us from deep water

Sun closes at 6pm - better than Sat, but not much

Looks like Mon-Thurs evenings is best for you - and that's fine with me also. Masters clear out at 9:30 so even if they have been in the deep end, at least we can have it for the last half an hour.

I took Bos class, great guy.

John
Old 06-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #29
spearomedic

Late to this thread but am always looking for a few guys to dive with and learn from. I do most of my diving in NJ but live up in Harford Co. Let me know if you guys want to get together
spearomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #30
freedivemd

spearomedic - I'm always in need of pool training buddies. I usually go at least once a week here in Annapolis - going tonight 8-10 pm. I know it's probably too far, but you are welcome to join me.
John