Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
vamforce

Shore dives around Cairns

Hi Guys,

I’ll be in Cairns around end of May and plan to bring by gears with me. At this stage it looks like I will not be able to take a full day boat trips. Is it possible and productive to do shore dives? Here in Auckland, boat trips are usually more productive, as we venture to quite remote places. How about shore dives near Cairns? A quick look at the marine charts does give a simple answer: not much rocks or pinnacles, quite shallow and marine parks almost everywhere.
Please suggest where to start or perhaps a local spearfishing shop to contact.

Thanks and safe diving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cairns.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	150647  
vamforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
rtdean
Saltybones1

Send a message via AIM to rtdean
Re: Shore dives around Cairns

Since no one has jumped in yet, I'll give it a go....when I was in Cairns in 1996, we dove off the GBR, way offshore....nice, clear water...but when we walked along the beach in Cairns though, seemed to be a fear of box jellyfish along the shore areas....the "stinger" nets were out for swimmer's protection, plus the water seemed dirty and no viz...don't know if it was just that particular day, or that way a lot of the time....hopefully, someone from that area will chime in and give more accurate accounts of the area....we were there in April, I think and it was HOT!

Rick

www.saltybones.com - Hardcore Diving & Fishing Apparel
rtdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
vamforce

Thanks for that. I will post a report if I go there. I am now thinking towards other place. May be Fraser. Not going alone so have to make a balanced decision.
vamforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
BlackTeam

Heya,

Shorediving up north can be okay but off shore on the reef is much better. I 've done a fair bit of shore diving up townsville way (south of cairns) and its not nearly as good as on the reef. find a boat / get onto spearoz to see who is around.

cheers.
BlackTeam is offline   Reply With Quote