Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
mlin
Mike M. Lin

New Diver Near LAX

Hello World. My name is Mike. I'm new to freediving and spearfishing. I just made my first trip out with the guys from the Freedive Shop in Hermosa Beach. I managed to take a few sea perch and I loved it. I don't know anyone in the sport, so I'm looking for dive buddies in the area. I live near LAX.

Although new to the sport, I'm very comfortable in the water. I'm also SCUBA certified and was a lifeguard as a teenager. I'm 30 now, and work as a software developer for hire (specializing in Oracle Siebel CRM if you're looking ).

I plan to dive once a month, the next being a shore dive in Malibu on Sunday, Feb 21. If anyone is interested in diving together, send me a note at mike.m.lin@gmail.com.

Dive safe,
Mike
mlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Re: New Diver Near LAX

Go dive Big Dume on the 21st. It usually holds the best conditions and is an ideal place for beginners. Good Luck
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
RacerZF

If you do go to Malibu or more specifically Point Dume. Post a report of the visibility and water temp. I know your new so I understand it may be a little off but it'll start helping you gain respect with a lot of the spearos in here and keep you more aware of the spots you are diving. HAVE FUN!!!
RacerZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Chris Lupin

Welcome to the board. +1 for what Kyle Parker said.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
mlin
Mike M. Lin

Thanks for the replies, Guys. I am planning on Point Dume.

I hear you, RacerZF.

My first dive was on Jan 31--a boat dive off Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro. Went to the outside of the second break water. The water was really calm in the morning, and started to surge a little in the afternoon. 59F. Visibility was crumby at 10-15 feet and there was a lot of crap in the water (e.g. plastic bottles, bags, trash). Washed my mouth out with Listerine when I got home.

Let's call that dive report #1 I know. A little late. But better late then never, right?
mlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
kev the sea dog
cold? wait you'll numb up

Always down to take out a new spearo. PM me and we'll see how the sea feels. Peace.
"You can learn from an ordanary bamboo leaf what ought to happen. It bends lower and lower under the weight of snow. Suddenly the snow slips to the ground without the leaf having stirred. Stay like that at the point of highest tension until the shot falls from you. So, indeed, it is: when the tension is fullfilled, the shot must fall, it must fall from the archer like snow from a bamboo leaf, before he even thinks." The Master
kev the sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
RacerZF

Just talking bout spearing at my favorite spot that will soon be closed and become just a memory, makes me want to go! I have a few school and fraternity obligations this weekend but if I dont have anything before 1pm on Sunday, I might try and jump in with my 3mm (hypothermia pain could be my new thread) and my brand new gun. After a full winter of rod and reel, the water sounds pretty good bout now even if the water quality, marine life, temp and viz sucks lol.
RacerZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
davej

Hey Mike
Welcome to the board and the sport. I am in manhattan beach and always looking for someone local that can go on short notice. I I have a boat and also do scuba for bugs. I am also in a similar line of work. I have a small web/interactive agency. PM me your info I might be going tomorrow but wont know till later today. Might be scuba for lobster though as the season is almost over.
davej is offline   Reply With Quote