Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
sandyhook

Smile Starting Slowly

I want to say hi to everyone and thank you for all the previous posts I've been reading. They have provided me with valuable information and encouragement and for that I thank you all.

I have lived most of my life in NJ and even fished as a kid in the Hudson , near Hoboken when played hookie from school but it never occurred to me that spearfishing was possible in our waters. I always thought of it being a tropical reef thing. Your posts and comments have been encouraging me to take on the sport in some form. I have seen your videos and although thrilling and exciting the waters off our coast seem a bit intimidating. It looks like a dark dangerous menacing place. At the same time the dark unfamiliar environment is a challenge. I have great respect for the water but I also know that the more I know about it the easier it will be on my nerves.

My goal is to start slowly. I will not ask anyone for any special spots. I will find my own in time but I need to start somewhere. I probably would like to become familiar and comfortable with just free diving before attempting to even think about spearing a fish. I do think about the thrill to finally be able to do it. I have also read most of the posts and feel good about the equipment choices I am making, thanks to many of you. I am a big Sandyhook fan as a sunbather but outside of that, I am clueless about where to even enter the water.

If you have any suggestions or advice I will appreciate it. I have already walked away with lots. I plan to hit some of the shops for advice but the biggest hurdle will be to jump in that cold dark water fearing what's under it. That's not very brave of me but I was wondering for those of you who are new to the sport, how did you go about starting. Any local clubs where we could share additional information while enjoying a beer or two? How long are these guys in the videos holding their breath under water?

I am currently searching for decent books on the subject but I don't know how much information will be applicable to NJ diving.

Again, thank you for the open exchange of information. I have benefited and hope to return the favor some day.

Rome
sandyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
njdiver

Re: Starting Slowly

Try this out:

http://www.atlanticspearandscuba.com...-spear-nj.html
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
sandyhook

Thank you NJdiver... going to pay them a visit.
sandyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
lifreediver

hey sandyhook
try a terry mass book or two
stay away from watching videos and looking at dive times
most videos out there are from advanced guys who have a long breathe holds and should not tryed to be copyed

also the long boring rest interval is never filmed and thats the important part the proper breathe up and the length of the breathe up is more important than dive times
also you realy cant find ya own spots there are no secret spots and all the good spots are easy to find at high tide around slack they will have a few divers there
you have a long way before the season starts take a freediver course there are some in a pool in newyork city i think dana is the womans name and of course performance freediver in florida there are other places also that have freedive courses
this is a very dangerous sport and if you dont have a good mentor and or a dive buddy its tough to get into
also training in pools is dangerous shallow water blackout from long breath holds or short breathe ups happens in pools also
it looks like you just joined the list in december and there are not a lot of post or info this month so i wonder what have you been reading
there is a under water rugby or hockey team by your area this might be a good place to start i might be able to find them if you cant
Dave
lifreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
nilsonov

Dave, if you know of an active UW hockey team in NJ, please let me know. All the sources I've seen online are no longer active.

Sandy, once spring comes around, start diving the jetties by you. Any jetty will do as you can work your way from waste deep to 20 ft.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
FLETCHOSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsonov View Post
Dave, if you know of an active UW hockey team in NJ, please let me know. All the sources I've seen online are no longer active
Jersey hammerheads!
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈ ╰━━ ┃
┣━━━━━━╯ ┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
FLETCHOSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
njdiver

NEW JERSEY HAMMERHEADS - UNDERWATER HOCKEY / RUGBY

http://www.facebook.com/NJ.UWH.UWR

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ec=dir&slk=184
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Try to find someone who is willing to take you out for the 1st time. If you happen to meet someone who is passionate and respectful about the sport, they will give you enough tips to get into and out of the water SAFELY. Good luck.
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote