Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
Dr.Clean
Trust me, I'm a Doctor.

Is it okay to use two Octopii instead of one reg, and one octo?

I'm just wondering why there's a huge difference in price between an Octo and a Reg. I'm sure there's a reason why a lot of people don't just use two octo's. Does anybody know the reason?
Dr.Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
IslandFever

Re: Is it okay to use two Octopii instead of one reg, and one octo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Clean View Post
I'm just wondering why there's a huge difference in price between an Octo and a Reg. I'm sure there's a reason why a lot of people don't just use two octo's. Does anybody know the reason?
You don't get a first stage when you just buy an octo.

And you typically need two first stages also when technical diving.
IslandFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
DiveGal
Today's the day!

I use cheap octos. I can get them for $40 including the hose. To me, they are disposables (i.e. cheaper to buy a new one then to have it serviced). They are only needed to get you or someone else from the bottom to the surface in case of an emergency. My first stage and primary are top notch sherwood. The primary is built much better and I have all of the confidence in the world in it. I wouldn't dive with any of my octos as my primary but I do test mine at least once every dive to make sure that it is working properply. JMHO

And if I were tech diving (which I don't), I wouldn't use ANY octos - all primaries.

Last edited by DiveGal; 10-18-2010 at 03:36 PM.
DiveGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo

ive used an octo as my primary a bunch of times when my primary has a leak or some minor problem and I dont feel like scratching the dive, but i wouldn't use it all the time as a primary.
octos just dont breath as well as primary regs, i dont really know any technical differences though....
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Hank49

It depends on the octo too. I use a Scubapro R190 and it breaths pretty easy.
But you don't really want a super breathing octo because it will free flow on fast decents if the purge button is facing down, or if you turn the mouthpiece up etc etc.
I've had some stiff breathing regs but after a while, you get used to it. It's not that big of a deal unless you really get stressed and need a lot of air. But it's not the second stage that delivers, it's the first that's the limiting factor when that happens.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Dr.Clean
Trust me, I'm a Doctor.

Thanks, guys. I was referring more to SCUBA in general, but this was probably the place that most people would go if talking about SCUBA, because I wouldn't expect too many freedivers to be spearing below 130. But, you guys answered my question. Thanks.
Dr.Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
shcubasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveGal View Post
I use cheap octos.
really? Who makes it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank49 View Post
It depends on the octo too. .
Exactly.

If your reg has identical primary and octo second stages with the only difference being a yellow purge cover, you could get away with it. You'll probably notice that most octos are de-tuned so they are less likely to freeflow when used as backups. The adjustment is very simple- your LDS should show you if you have a relationship with them.
shcubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
Catalyst
Formerly Twin-or-Lose

I think a better option would be 2 primaries. I have been using adjustable 2nd stages for years now and they work great as backups because you can "de-tune" them with the adjustment to avoid freeflow.
However I currently use a primary reg with no octo and use an Atomic SS1 octo inflator. The Atomic breathes great but i wouldn't want to use it for the whole dive.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

I use all second stages and no integrated inflater octos.Octos of any kind
suck at depth(this is the tech forum)and often are very finicky or fragile.

Good regs will breathe better lessening CO2 and giving a more comfortable feeling if you should actually ever happen to shoot a fish that needs subduing at 160'
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
spearo #uno
Senior user

In the past I have used several diffrent octopii because of the convenience, specially when spearfishing but I have learned to hate them all and will never go that way again. I also have used may conbinations of a better second stage and not as good octo. etc...
It has all to do how often, how deep and the conditions/type of emviroment to get wet in.
If you can put out the $ for better equipment and you like to dive deep often, in my opinion, the best thing is just to go all the way with an octo. to match your second stage.

I was ones in a situation where out of the blue my life depended on my octo. and like others have said before "you don't need as good octo. as your second" I find that not the best way to stay alive.

A balance first and a good second with an octo. just as good are the only way to go in my book.
spearo #uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
ReefGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
I think a better option would be 2 primaries. I have been using adjustable 2nd stages for years now and they work great as backups because you can "de-tune" them with the adjustment to avoid freeflow.
However I currently use a primary reg with no octo and use an Atomic SS1 octo inflator. The Atomic breathes great but i wouldn't want to use it for the whole dive.
I used to dive with an octo-inflator, but stopped for two reasons. First, it's more difficult to vent while ascending, and second you must keep a good eye on your inflator hose, as venting while breathing on one involves pulling the dump valve (causing excessive wear).
ReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #12
Capt.Gene

Your Octo 2nd stage will often be a de-tuned 2nd stage, with a higher cracking effort designed to limit runaway free flow.
But in it's intended usage , the last thing a stressed out of air diver needs is a hard breathing regulator. as the OOA diver may spit and bolt for the surface if he feels he's not getting enough air from the cheap ass octo you've bolted on, and some of the inexpenise 2nd breathe like you're sucking air through a straw.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Spearo56
Water is still wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Clean View Post
Generally this is because they are colored yellow, or are a slimmer profile. as long as you have two second stage regulators that work efficently your good to go.

Also as mentioned most octos dont come with a first stage, and in some cases dont even come with a hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
It needs a good dose of fish blood every week. Just put it in the ocean, it knows what to do.
BORN BRED AND SALTWATER FED

Aimrite Venom Comp 100 w/RA reel
Omer Cayman HF 90
Riffe Comp 2x
RA 90
Omer Cayman 45
Custom bubba mid handle 40"
6ft crist
Spearo56 is offline   Reply With Quote