Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #46
waterpirate

Re: Is it worth it? deep wrecks on tech

I do not think anyone was ranking on you, we were talking to each other in a civil manner through you. You have at least 4 different trends on this board as how best to get it done deep and those 4 methods can not usually talk to each other for more than 2 pages without it getting ugly! lol

Anyways, people dive deep and get it done useing what works for them, not everyone else. I found out as I got older I was more apt to get narced, could not drink all nite and still make it to work, and my gets sore quicker for longer. I dive a lot differently now than I did 10 years ago.

I would advocate advanced nitrox/ deco theory, and some form of helium trainig to anyone who wants to go deep, even if their personal choice is a single with bailout. With information you have the power to make a informed decision that works for you.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
The same rules of physics apply to us all. The choice comes when you either stack the deck in your favor for returning safe or "hope" that everything goes right with no realistic back up. But if given the choice on the boat to come back or not come back, I doubt any of you would “choose” the latter.

Go back and search all the memorial threads, you may notice a trend.
Sure the physics is the same but there is alot more to it than that. Conditions, equipment, experience, mental/physical state and training all have an impact.

Im not saying it's safe but it's no more dangerous than driving from tampa to orlando.

I wasn't trying to be a dick brother man, i assure you if Im being a dick you will know. I'm just trying to help you out because i like hearing about the deep dives too. Coming in with an attitude while copy/pasting the definition of bounce dive doesn't make people want to talk to you.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #48
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg John View Post
.....Im not saying it's safe but it's no more dangerous than driving from tampa to orlando......

Depends, do you have a quart of Jägermeister in you on the drive?
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #49
jadairiii

All kidding aside, I am sure those of you that dive Single 80's at depth regularly know that on the average you have about 12 min of gas at depth (assuming a 1 SAC rate). If you are alone, that is not a lot of time to get down, shoot, secure, and do some type of minimum deco.

If you are with a buddy, one of you dies, there is no way two people, at least one of which is stressed, are coming off the bottom on a single 80 and doing any kind of decompression.

Do the math.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #50
waterpirate

The word " Buddy " is the flaw in that logic. Once you get to team, or dedicated buddy you assume a responsible role in that dynamic. Typically that rig configuration is followed by " solo " or same day, same ocean.

Another great dive today on the hydro. Did 35 minutes on the wreck. The mooring ball came down while I was on my 40 foot stop, for people deeper than that it was a little more exciting. I shot a bag and got on with it, not my preferred method, but just another tool to use, that was taught in them pesky classes.
Eric
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #51
primalpete

Anybody home on the hydro besides jewfish and jacks?
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #52
Pirate Dave

I started this thread about deep wrecks on TECH not REC gear. I was talking about the initial investment buying four more scuba tanks (doubles and two deco bottles) and four more regulators. A pretty serious investment.

since then I have made the investment and had completely changed my idea of diving. I enjoy looking at wrecks now just as much as I used to like shooting fish. I was on the team that originally discovered the Curtis Helldiver. No one could have done that bounce diving. It took a lot of swimming and a lot of gas to run into it.

I got trained to go deeper to shoot fish in areas I would not go to previously because of the dangers associated. Now that I have the training and the gear my focus is more towards wreck exploration. I'm not very excited about diving singles anymore. all I want to do is get to new wrecks and see things only a select few have

Planning the dives and sticking to the plan and getting to new areas is half the fun as the dives now. I strongly suggest taking a class.
Pirate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #53
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

When I get a working SAC of 1.0 I lay off the donuts and run a few extra miles.
Based on returns..... the doubles,manifolds,BTs,bladders,stage bottles and classes I am probly in the hole still,not counting the gas costs.I've dove some cool wrecks from Wilkes Barre,Queen of Nassau and more to some interesting geological features like sinks and scarps but the spearfishing aspect isn't just worth it to me.I will stay shallower than 200'.There's still plenty of fish and virgin wrecks out there in those depths.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #54
waterpirate

Unless you count the 10 lionfish I saw, it was a ghost town. The resident jewfish was also makeing itself scarce. There is a wierd grapple with a weight and about 6' of galvanised 3/8ths chain about 1/3 way back on the port side, on the ledge heading down inside. Nylon rope was parted about 3' from chain.

tommorow the miller is on the docket.
Eric
Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #55
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
Unless you count the 10 lionfish I saw, it was a ghost town. The resident jewfish was also makeing itself scarce. There is a wierd grapple with a weight and about 6' of galvanised 3/8ths chain about 1/3 way back on the port side, on the ledge heading down inside. Nylon rope was parted about 3' from chain.

tommorow the miller is on the docket.
Eric
Im jealous of your life.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #56
waterpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg John View Post
Im jealous of your life.
Shurely, shirly, you jest?
I am down here for my yearly 2 week soak, soon enough it will be back to the frozen tundra to dream about what salt water even feels like till June! lol I will post up the fish report when we get back from the miller. Just to yank your chain, the rest of the line up is: back to the hydro, then the lowrance, followed by the sucre, and the big wrap up the rbj/corey. Whst s trip
Eric
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #57
jadairiii

Quote:
Shurely, shirly, you jest?
I am down here for my yearly 2 week soak, soon enough it will be back to the frozen tundra to dream about what salt water even feels like till June! lol I will post up the fish report when we get back from the miller. Just to yank your chain, the rest of the line up is: back to the hydro, then the lowrance, followed by the sucre, and the big wrap up the rbj/corey. Whst s trip
Eric
A really fun dive is the Lowrance on scooters, when BT is up turn west, hit the trigger and head for the reef. Do all your deco on the fly. You see all kinds of junk and sea life. Same with the RBJ, but you can hit some shallow wrecks on the way in.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #58
waterpirate

I have read your reports of those scooter jaunts and it sounds like a lot of fun. I am holding off on the scooter untill I can work out a gun mount for the front! lol. The miller had a lite current on the bottom this morning. Saw 2 small grouper, a giant ray out in the sand and a couple of lion fish. Glad I was not shooting, or I would be going hungry for lunch.
Eric
Old 02-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #59
primalpete

Sounds like a typical dive on the miller lite. Sometimes there are grouper home but like most wrecks in the area, not much going on except at certain times.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #60
jadairiii

Quote:
I have read your reports of those scooter jaunts and it sounds like a lot of fun. I am holding off on the scooter untill I can work out a gun mount for the front! lol. The miller had a lite current on the bottom this morning. Saw 2 small grouper, a giant ray out in the sand and a couple of lion fish. Glad I was not shooting, or I would be going hungry for lunch.
Eric
If the current is right you can do both the Clinton and the Miller on one dive (or vis versa). With scooters in a no brainer.