Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.11 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Bulit7

High PO2 Hits - Tell us your story

Just wanted to start this thread so we have some kind of a record and data for O2 hits suffered under the circumstances we dive in. Helpfull info would be:

Depth
Time on bottom
Mix
PO2
What happened
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Re: High PO2 Hits - Tell us your story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
Just wanted to start this thread so we have some kind of a record and data for O2 hits suffered under the circumstances we dive in. Helpfull info would be:

Depth
Time on bottom
Mix
PO2
What happened
UMmmmm, nearly all people who suffer O2 hits at depth don't make it. Therefore, I suggest posting this using a ouija board.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-21-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
willembad
Spearo in training

Wait.... What???

I thought I logged on to the ouija board....

Damned crossed link

Willem
willembad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Bulit7

Well, it would be helpfull to have accounts of those dives by someone that was there.

Some people have made it.

If the diver died, it is regreatable, but I think the benefits outweigh the downside. We could keep it factual and unemotional and it would serve as a refference point for everyone as to what can happen and under what conditions.

Some people think that if you keep it at 1.4, all is well. Some guys take it up to 1.6.

I know of at least one guy on here that took a hit and passed away. I'm sure there are more, maybe even some that survived.

Here, I'll go first:

This is second hand so it might not be 100% accurate.
A buddy of mine by the name of David, dropped down and ended up taking a tank witha wrong mix. Not too sure about the details but the symptoms I remember clearly and are what is important here. This was also a dive with Jim Mimms. He got to a certain depth and started hearing a stutter sound that he thought was coming from his first stage. Thought it was strange and kept on diving and a few seconds later he developed tunnel vision but was fully aware of what was happening. He told me that he hit the inflator and as soon as he ascended a few feet, it was gone. That is all I have but the symptoms are key and his presence of mind to "eject" were what saved him and might save someone else here. He was lucky.

Last edited by Bulit7; 08-21-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Bulit7

Here's another and I will try to get more info on it. Guy was diving the Hydro with a group of divers from Dixie Divers and took a hit. He drifted down and was caught by another diver and saved. I will try to get more info on this one and add latter. It was a deco class. This happened in that last few weeks.

Last edited by Bulit7; 08-21-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
TheBrazilNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
UMmmmm, nearly all people who suffer O2 hits at depth don't make it. Therefore, I suggest posting this using a ouija board.

Exactly! It just boggles the mind about your lack of knowledge Lee! Yet another post that you should have PM 'ed someone!
TheBrazilNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrazilNut View Post
Exactly! It just boggles the mind about your lack of knowledge Lee! Yet another post that you should have PM 'ed someone!
Read before inserting foot in mouth.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

DAN publishes a report of fatailties and serious injuries every year going way back on scuba, and it just started a year ago freediving.

It's accurate and it's for the purpose of learning.

Chad

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...port/index.asp
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 08-22-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Mullins

I did some reading on this a while back as I was concerned about the risk of Ox Tox while freediving - some of the symptoms I was getting sounded a lot like those you get with high pp02. We've since decided due to the short time at depth the symptoms (metallic taste, visual distortions, numb face, shaking) are more likely to be caused by the combination of ppN2 and ppCO2 but still haven't ruled it out completely.

It was a scary thought - you don't get a lot of warning (sometimes none, though red-tinged visual distortion was mentioned as a good indicator) and a siezure is very likely to be fatal whether you're on scuba or freediving. It's unpredictable and the US Navy found some would have a seizure after a couple of minutes at 1.8 while others can happily swim around for half an hour at 2.0 and above with no ill effects. Very nasty. If I was a scuba diver I'd want to stay the hell away from it.
Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Hank49

I did a dive to 210 feet (air), up to about 140, drifted down the reef, and back down to 165 into a little cavern. After the dive I asked what made that cavern all red inside. Everyone else said it's not red. That's the only time that every happened. I dont' remember feeling anything more than being narced but it was like looking through rose tinted sun glasses. We ascended at that point.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Look Lee, here is my observations from your posts in various threads over the past few days. I see a lot of piecemeal, different questions from you that, in whole, seem to attempt to encompass what should be proper training.

You obviously have a yearning to learn to dive deeper, which I can fully understand. My recommendation to you is: save money and get the best training and certification you deserve. Take your time, learn from the best, and when you fully understand the principles involved, then get onto the internet and debate the details and ambiguities. If you demand to dive in this fashion, then you owe it to yourself and your family to get the proper training.

What I do not recommend is getting in the middle of a technical diving debate, and asking questions with the intent to immediately apply to your near-term diving. You should get proper training first, first, foremost, and above all. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but it helps to have the proper training first.

Several people have been lucky enough to know something wasn't right before an O2 hit began to manifest itself, but the numbers of survivors are INCREDIBLY SMALL. Among the reports, symptoms most often included the "wah-wah" sound and tunnel vision. O2 hits are known to happen swiftly and nearly always fatally, especially among spearfisherman who cannot dive the buddy system the way it was intended. Not sure if you are nitrox certified, but if you were, you will understand. Lastly, the comment about hitting the inflator button could have led to other serious problems, as uncontrolled ascents usually do. Everyone is responsible for their own lives while diving, not people on the internet. You'll learn a few things in nitrox class that will help prevent you from ever getting an O2 hit.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Look Lee, here is my observations from your posts in various threads over the past few days. I see a lot of piecemeal, different questions from you that, in whole, seem to attempt to encompass what should be proper training.

You obviously have a yearning to learn to dive deeper, which I can fully understand. My recommendation to you is: save money and get the best training and certification you deserve. Take your time, learn from the best, and when you fully understand the principles involved, then get onto the internet and debate the details and ambiguities. If you demand to dive in this fashion, then you owe it to yourself and your family to get the proper training.

What I do not recommend is getting in the middle of a technical diving debate, and asking questions with the intent to immediately apply to your near-term diving. You should get proper training first, first, foremost, and above all. Nothing wrong with asking questions, but it helps to have the proper training first.

Several people have been lucky enough to know something wasn't right before an O2 hit began to manifest itself, but the numbers of survivors are INCREDIBLY SMALL. Among the reports, symptoms most often included the "wah-wah" sound and tunnel vision. O2 hits are known to happen swiftly and nearly always fatally, especially among spearfisherman who cannot dive the buddy system the way it was intended. Not sure if you are nitrox certified, but if you were, you will understand. Lastly, the comment about hitting the inflator button could have led to other serious problems, as uncontrolled ascents usually do. Everyone is responsible for their own lives while diving, not people on the internet. You'll learn a few things in nitrox class that will help prevent you from ever getting an O2 hit.

Tyler, thanks for your thoughtfull post. Yes I'm Nitrox certified.
I am just attempting to bring into discussion the subjects that interest me. I am in no way trying to self teach myself how to deep dive thru these forums. If I wanted to self teach, I would go out and buy the course materials and read and apply them to diving. I know a lot about the general theory of deep diving but do not have trimix math and mix advantages down(nor do I care to learn trimix due to cost/rewards ratio being out of whack for the SE Florida Area). I do have an interest in learning more about O2 hits, DCS, air diving deep, Nitrox mixes for deep diving(Ex:EAN28), etc...

I will make this clear to anyone on here: I will not do deco dives or dives that I am not qualified for untill I get training. Period.

I am just preparing the groundwork for the task at hand(deco proceedures course) by trying to learn as much about it so that when I take the course, I canmake the most of it.

I relly appreciate you phrasing your post the way you did and not trying to talk down to me.

If you all don't mind, I will continue to take part in these discussions. I think they benefit us all.

Lee

PS. Can anyone recomend a good instructor in Palm Beach/Broward that is spear friendly and spear knowledgeable for my deco proceedures course. Thx!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
headhunter561
Rob

It sounds to me like he just wants to hear of some real world examples. Its an interesting topic, I'd like to hear them too.
headhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #14
jadairiii

Wreck dive years ago on air/EAN with an extremely convoluted gear set-up (made Tony look DIR, I was still learning ), max depth was 200’, I am swimming into the current at 165’ on EAN 28, lips begin to tingle, agitation sets in, I hit the line and head for the surface, feeling cleared as I got shallower. Not a CO2 issue, I was diving a Poseidon odin at the time (I still think they suck, but it did deliver the gas!)

John
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
Daddy_Jeffy
Aloha, hard!!

"Tyler, thanks for your thoughtfull post. Yes I'm Nitrox certified.
I am just attempting to bring into discussion the subjects that interest me. I am in no way trying to self teach myself how to deep dive thru these forums. If I wanted to self teach, I would go out and buy the course materials and read and apply them to diving."

But on 15 August:

"Yep. I have no cards. I am open water only. I self taught myself Nitrox thru books and diving with people who wanted me to use Nitrox so we could dive together. I am very cautious and calm in the water. I am very comfortable as well."

You are dangerous. We will read about you soon, and foot the huge bill for the Coast Guard having to search for your corpse.

Last edited by Daddy_Jeffy; 08-22-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Cleaned up text
Daddy_Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote