Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Dive Training for Free Diving or Scuba Diving

Dive Training for Free Diving or Scuba Diving Discuss and learn about dive training for free diving or scuba diving in any geographical region.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Funaholic

Online SCUBA class

I'm wondering everyone's opinions of Open Water Diver online programs (of course I'm referring to knowledge development, not actual dive skills). Do you think brand new divers learn as much from online classes as they do from face-to-face classes? How about divers who just need to brush up on their basics? I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions.
Funaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
NC_Spearo

Re: Online SCUBA class

I think a student gets much more out of face to face classes. The instructor can answer any questions and spend more or less time with students as needed. Also the instructor can get a feel for how comfortable each student will be in the water based on questions and concerns during class.
NC_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

The online programs are very good, but they are only one part of a total training program. They should be used along with face to face classroom training with an instructor and a several pool sessions. The biggest problem with most training programs right now is that they are too short. The two weekend training model is just too short to produce a good diver, but it's what people who don't know any better want.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
StukNotAnchored

When I took up scuba in September of 2014, I refused to go to an online class. I do them for continuing ed for work and when you compare what you learn in person vs. online it is a joke. I could not imagine doing something that involves DEATH and learning it online.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Ron S

One of my co-workers and I got scuba certified 19 years ago through a highly rated shop. We indeed went through the two weekend, short course. (Robert, as you've seen me dive, this revelation probably explains a lot...)

Anyway, back then, "online" referred to a fish with a hook in it's mouth, and the pre-class work was a take home book with quizzes at the end of each chapter. I believe all that's changed is that you do the same work at home now, only on a computer, which to me is just as good.

The actual training we received was very good, especially compared to stories I've heard about some less than stellar shops. Good instructor to student ratios and no skimping on skill training and testing.

I do agree with Robert though. Those quick courses are too short if you don't continue with your training. When we returned from the course, we went to the Sgt. and said, "OK, we be divers now". He said, "yeah, no". Did a number of training dives with the dive team over several weeks until he was satisfied that we probably wouldn't die during basic dives.

19 years later I'm still learning.

I would be fine with the online training thing, but I'd look hard at the reviews and reputation of the shop or outfit that's doing the training.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
NC_Spearo

In either case, the classes are not designed to make you an instant diver. The classes are to give you the knowledge to use as you practice and train to be a diver. To start with, I would recommend an instructor led class and diving with experienced divers as much as possible. Over the years I have taken a lot of PADI dive classes and been around some great divers and I continue to learn more each year.
Now I am trying to graduate into freediving - seems my learning curve is much slower in this new sport.
NC_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Lunchmeat

The online class only replaces the old workbook, and I feel you learn more from the online than one would from the workbook. Afterwards there is a full day of class room to cover everything in depth. It's thorough and covering the info a couple of times through different learning methods helps it stick.
Lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote