Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Jay R.

Surface boats and flags, question.

Okay, I have a question for you guys, I had an encounter/incident on Saturday that is bothering me and I want to try to learn from it. I was trolling lines offshore with a buddy and some of his out of state family. We were about 6-7 miles out I am guessing in about 80-90 feet. I was heading north towards a reef that was marked on my Garmin. It was part of a set that had another reef marked west, southwest of it, maybe a half mile away. I planned to troll our lines over the eastern most one and then turn and skirt to the south of the west one with a wide berth because two dive boats were on it. When I got to the first reef, one dive boat took off. I turned and pointed towards the second dive boat, still a half mile away, just to see if the GPS track lined up with the reef. It didn't, he was to the north of the reef. I turned to pass south of the reef. About this time a dive sausauge broke the surface and a group of divers popped up. The boat went and retrived them. I estamated that I wouldn't pass any closer than about 500-600 feet from the dive boat, outside the 300 ft rule and thought that if anyone else was on the reef, they would have their own float on the surface because the dive boat was so far off of the reef. So I decided to go closer towards the reef rather than pass south of it. The boat turns toward me and we look to see if they are waving at us and don't see anything, so we think maybe they are going to drop some divers over the reef again. As we get over the reef we spot bubbles and I cut the motor and we pulled our lines in. The other boat comes up within about 70 feet of us and I yell over that I thought he had all his divers over where he was and he responds that he had two groups, one on the north side and one on the south side. We point out 3 bubble trails, all still deep, I waited till we drifted away before firing up and leaving the area. This was just south of the power plant off Jensen Beach. The other boat seemed cool, no yelling or screaming. I think they just drifted too far from their divers and I had no way of knowing that. I thought they were done with the reef and I saw no reason why I couldn't make a pass over it on my way back south.
Did I read this situation wrong? Should they have had a float flag for the other group? This is bothering me because I don't want to get anyone hurt and when I want to go back to dive some of these areas I want to avoid things like this.
Jay R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Re: Surface boats and flags, question.

You did nothing wrong at all and those divers were very lucky you were a considerate and cautious captain.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
missionmagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplipper View Post
You did nothing wrong at all and those divers were very lucky you were a considerate and cautious captain.
x2
missionmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

x3... nicely handled, capt.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Capt. Mark
Contact Cell 313-207-8844

I agree you did nothing wrong, thanks for being a decent Capt!
Capt. Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Jay R.

Thank you guys for reading all that and your replies. When you see divers under you boat, two things go through your mind, I don't want to hurt anyone, and how did I just screw up so bad. I was just glad no one go hurt.

Last edited by Jay R.; 07-19-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Aqua-Hunter
Spearboard Sponsor

Spearfishing and Diving Charter Boat

Your actions were spot on but the real problem lies with the dive boats that don't put one of those pesky dive balls in the water with each group.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
SMERRILL

Well played, from an individual who has had a ribbon fish rig stuck in my side once, I wish everyone had the respect you gave. Good fishing, big ocean for everyone.
SMERRILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #9
lictol

Each of those the groups should each have a flag while in the water. You did nothing wrong. I applaud your clear thinking
lictol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Jay R.

Thanks guys, I hope everyone was safe this Mini Season!