Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
hatterasfreedvr

Re: MALF Memorial Day Tournament

Me ain't go no insureants ol' boys.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #17
bk393
Designated Diver

Send a message via Yahoo to bk393

I rest my case
bk393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
WMELWAY7
MUST GO SPEARFISHING!!!

It is $60 for an entire year through DAN to cover medical expenses and life insurance in case your involved in an accident. This will protect you and your family in case of an accident. Every person in the water should have this. Many dive shops as well as most tournaments that I have looked up wont let you dive without having some sort of dive insurance. It is cheap and well worth it. Statistically, freediving and spearfishing increase your chances of an accident enormously. We cant be responsible for encouraging someone to do both and them not having any coverage whatsoever. You know Im with you guys on most stuff, but this one is just a no brainer. If someone cant afford it, I would be glad to spot you the money and you can pay me back or take me out spearing. Just send me a pm.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
bk393
Designated Diver

This is why we have separate C-cards for boat diving, drysuit diving, deep diving, u/w photography, etc. Take something and regulate the piss out of it in the interest of avoiding liability AFTER making people sign a waiver releasing you of any liability! Next there will be a Freediver certification requirement as soon as somebody realizes there isn't one.
I assume DQ will be checking for insurance before any of us get in the pool tomorrow.

My previous comments on the club website:

I just think it's odd there's a proof of insurance requirement and nowhere in the tournament rules is there mention of requiring me to have a fishing license or show proof of it!
Another thought - none of my three insurance policies in any way hinder my ability to file a misguided, selfish, frivolous, or otherwise idiotic lawsuit against anyone. This is the sort of risk anybody with a boat assumes each and every time we take someone out with us. Luckily I've never had an incident on my boat, but I generally try to take people I feel will act honorably and not sue me over something stupid. (If they do, they will eventually regret their actions .) I'm not about to start running background checks and requiring documentation of insurance, citizenship, immunization, et al... - I'm going to shut up and go fishing.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
WMELWAY7
MUST GO SPEARFISHING!!!

VA or NC License does not affect liability. The rules say abide by all state and fed laws (hence license). If you are caught then you pay the fine and are disqualified, no liability on the club. If something happens to you, then people can be sued. The tourny is not just a bunch of friends heading out for a trip. There could be people entering this tourny from everywhere. It could include people I dont trust or just dont know. I dont have the right to say no because I think you might sue me like a private boat owner does. Bottom line is we just have to be careful and this has been a often used way of doing that. As I said above, I understand how this could affect some people and I will gladly lend the $60 for anyone who cant afford it right now so they can enter the tourny. This should not be a factor that stops anyone from entering the tourny. This and the waiver also covers everyone in the tourny including the boat owners. You cant be sued during the tourny for your involvement if you decide to take people out. I think the minimal cost for someone without any insurance would be worth it to everyone involved for the tourny and worth it to the spearo the rest of the year to have at least some coverage to help out those that might be left behind if something were to happen.

DQ has their own insurance for the pool just for that reason. As a club, we couldnt even begin to try and pay for that for the entire tourny. You know Im not an unreasonable guy, but requiring basic insurance is something that should be done. We can talk with Reyes and the other officers before the meeting tomorrow to see what they think. I am just going by what I have seen from other organizations.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #21
bk393
Designated Diver

I know, you're a reasonable guy . However, being the Devil's Advocate like I am (not a bad boat name there - Instigator or Troublemaker are also possibilities), me having insurance doesn't prevent me or my unreasonable litigious family from suing you if I get eaten by a malicious sand tiger during the tournament. As a matter of fact, neither does me signing a waiver when it comes down to it in court. I've seen scuba instructors (bad ones) get smacked even though their student victims signed liability waivers. I just don't have any illusions (nor should you) that I can't be held liable if something bad happens - tournament or no tournament. This is the world we live in and if you don't want the exposure, it's probably best to take up cross-stitching or something.
I'll take you up on the $60 though - it's almost time for me to renew my DAN anyway
Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #22
hatterasfreedvr

I've been meaning to get DAN insurance, but I'm a professional slacker. I'll get er done though. Thanks fellas.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #23
Searen
Knat City, NC

Send a message via Skype™ to Searen

Holy crap! What is going on here? I have been involved in a few tournaments and a few freediving courses and have never had to show proof of any insurance. I have had to sign a number of waivers releasing the organizers of liability but never shown proof of insurance. I do recommend DAN insurance to anyone who dives and it is the responsible thing to do. I'm speaking of the DAN insurance and not so much the requirement of proof of insurance. Damn, I feel like I'm at work.
Searen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #24
WMELWAY7
MUST GO SPEARFISHING!!!

The idea came from the Omer tournament rules that I had access to. I combined there rules and those of the Dive Quarters Tourny. I figured those were two pretty good tournaments to base off of. We have worked really hard to try and put something together for everyone here in the mid eastcoast that would be fun and bonding for all of the spearos of the area. I cant tell you how many hours I personally have put into making those rules and setting up the webpage. Cut us a little slack, bring your insurance card, and we will take it under consideration for next year. You are more than welcome to give Reyes or I a call or PM if you need anymore clarification about the tournament rules. I just want to have a safe fun time, kill some fish, eat some great food, hang out with some great people, and maybe win a prize.
Best wishes, safe hunting, and I hope to see you at the tourny!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Underwater Ninj
I'm a dangerous ducky!

Perhaps there is some misunderstanding:

Either DAN or some evidence of medical coverage is required.

This is only to cover any open liability issues that may arise.

As President of the MALFC I find it my duty to assure that the club has done every thing it can possibly do to secure the fact that any liability issues are moved away from any and all members of the club....regardless of what other organizations may or may not practice.

With out diving into the legal issues, let it be said that our efforts demonstrate a conscience effort to assure every participant is well position to assume the risk of the tournament

Let it also be known that MALFC is supported by corporate sponsors and is operated by volunteers. We want to make every effort to provide assurances that our benevolent sponsors do not face the unfortunate focus of some group looking to make a case study at our expense.

That being said, IF ANY ONE OF THE PARTICIPANTS IS WILLING TO SIGN ON THE LINE TO INDEMNIFY ALL THE PARTICIPANTS IN THE TOURNAMENT AS WELL AS SPONSORS, CLUB MEMBERS, OFFICERS AGAINST ANY AND ALL DAMAGES WITHER WILLFUL OR BY ACCIDENT THEN I WILL CONSIDER YOUR POINT.

I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT YOUR REACTIONS ARE BASED ON A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE IN TORTE LAW AND TO SOME LEVEL, CRIMINAL LAW AS WELL.

IF YOU DID HAVE SUFFICIENT STUDY OF THE LEGAL LIABILITY RAMIFICATIONS OF OUR EVENT THEN YOU WOULD NOT COMMENT ABOUT THE NECESSITY OF OUR REQUEST FOR VERIFICATION.

I am not about to put my finances, those of my family or any other member/sponsor/supporter/officer at risk just because an individual finds in inconvenient or cumbersome when it comes to the risk associated with the sport we love and pursue with a passion.

That being said....Todd is right....come out and enjoy the tournament. We worked hard to develop this for the community at large. Why would you take any level of pleasure in giving those of us who have devoted time, capital and energy grief by playing devils advocate.

This project took literally months to fulfill. As Todd said...give us the benefit of knowing we know what we are doing.

See you guys at the tournament.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
Searen
Knat City, NC

Send a message via Skype™ to Searen

Understood... Thanks for your hard work!
Searen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #27
bk393
Designated Diver

same here - Thanks guys. It's going to be a great weekend.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #28
bk393
Designated Diver

I still have some room on the boat and at the house for this weekend. Not sure what the weather is going to do but we'll hope for the best.

As of now, Friday is wide open - if anybody wants to come down Thursday night and fish Friday let me know.

Saturday is getting a little tight on the boat but there are some spaces left in the house. Let me know what you want to do and I'm sure we can make it work.

Still some room on both for Sunday as well.

Anybody that wants to get out diving is welcome to come - you don't HAVE to be participating in the tournament (but it would be nice )
Old 05-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #29
saltwater redneck
Freediver Morehead Cty NC

If the weather is good I am planning on coming Fri and Sat. Come on - slick cam!
Lee
saltwater redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #30
bk393
Designated Diver

the forecast just updated and it calmed down a notch for Friday - hopefully that trend will continue!