Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
brandon cadalzo

Rob Allen knot.

Just wondering, does anyone prefer this method over a snap clip or pig tail clip to attach the reel line to the shooting line? I worry that it would slip or come undone and then i lose the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
Andrew Makely

Re: Rob Allen knot.

If by Rob Allen knot you are talking a bowline knot then yes I use it to connect the shooting line to the reel line. And it never comes loose, until you want it to and then you can loosen it and re-tie it in the water even it needed. Eliminates the clip banging against your gun.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #3
Andrew Makely

There is a great video by a spearo named Daniel Mann talking about three knots he uses and how to tie them on youtube. I use them and they work perfect. Both for the spear to the shooting line and the shooting line to the reel line.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:56 AM   #4
Rob Allen
Sponsor

We don't recommend a bow line because you need 2 hands to undo. We recommend a slip knot that can be undone with one hand. This does not come undone while diving. Many large fish have been landed using it. Most importantly, it can be released with one hand or, pulled apart with your teeth. When holding the fish in one hand it is so much easier just pull the spear right through and then disconnect the line with one hand while holding the fish in the other. This way you can put the fish in the boat and just pull the line out and re-tie. This is mainly done when the spear is in a difficult position to reverse it soy through the scull. Nothing wrong with a bowline, this slip knot makes it easier.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:13 AM   #5
Andrew Makely

Thanks! I will look up your video and try it out.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:21 AM   #6
Rob Allen
Sponsor

Hi Andrew,

I was dragged about a mile by a sailfish with this knot after he stripped my reel. I was using the 1,5mm, thinner Dyneema and there was no problem, I was still able to undo the knot with my teeth.
On a side note, another mate shot a great white shark (he was convinced it was going to eat him) with his gun with the same knot from his reel line to the shooting line. He got into the boat and let the shark drag the boat after he tied it off to the front bollard. It still did not break so they started the motors and put reverse to break it off. It did eventually break but the knot was still together. The Dyneema had compressed the mono and split it. He now wraps his Dyneema 2 x around the mono before tying the slip knot to lessen the point load.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:31 AM   #7
Diver278

I use Rob Allen's knott to connect my reel line to my shooting line on all my guns. Haven't had a problem with it coming loose unless I need it to.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:38 AM   #8
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
Just wondering, does anyone prefer this method over a snap clip or pig tail clip to attach the reel line to the shooting line? I worry that it would slip or come undone and then i lose the shaft.

I have been using this knot on all my guns for years with great success.
Way better and minimalist compared to a sharkclip that is dangling from your gun and making noise.

However there was one type of dyneema that came standard on a Meandros gun that slipped too much for this knot. But this you could test upfront before you enter the water. With most dyneema it works great.

Simple and efficient what is there not to like?
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
brandon cadalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I have been using this knot on all my guns for years with great success.
Way better and minimalist compared to a sharkclip that is dangling from your gun and making noise.

However there was one type of dyneema that came standard on a Meandros gun that slipped too much for this knot. But this you could test upfront before you enter the water. With most dyneema it works great.

Simple and efficient what is there not to like?

I use the Aussie dyneema line.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
I use the Aussie dyneema line.

Just try it out with your dyneema. Tie the knot makenthe dyneema wet. Make sure the loop is not tiny and then pull as hard as you can. If it stays it’s good.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
We don't recommend a bow line because you need 2 hands to undo. We recommend a slip knot that can be undone with one hand. This does not come undone while diving. Many large fish have been landed using it. Most importantly, it can be released with one hand or, pulled apart with your teeth. When holding the fish in one hand it is so much easier just pull the spear right through and then disconnect the line with one hand while holding the fish in the other. This way you can put the fish in the boat and just pull the line out and re-tie. This is mainly done when the spear is in a difficult position to reverse it soy through the scull. Nothing wrong with a bowline, this slip knot makes it easier.
Hey Rob, can you post a "how to" on tying that Rob Allen's knot?

Or Anyone for that matter.

Thanks
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #12
popgun pete

https://youtu.be/E8U2tM8fssw

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-19-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: found a photo of this knot
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
We recommend a slip knot that can be undone with one hand. This does not come undone while diving. Many large fish have been landed using it. Most importantly, it can be released with one hand or, pulled apart with your teeth. When holding the fish in one hand it is so much easier just pull the spear right through and then disconnect the line with one hand while holding the fish in the other.
This is the knot I would like to see, one that can be pulled out with one hand or your teeth, and is still strong enough to drag you thru the water.
Ya got a video for that one?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #14
musubi

I'm thinking this might be the knot that's being discussed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYhx5XI9l8&t=273s

Go to 4:25. It's the slip knot.

One of my good diving buddies uses it and never seems to have a problem.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
SEATUX

You NAILED IT my friend...Thanks!