Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
reefstalker
Husband, Father, Spearo

Question Camp and Dive Help

I've done a little bit of camping and diving in norcal for abalone and want to try and plan a socal trip for lobster. I'm thinking about the start of the season in October and from what I've researched I'm leaning to some of the Santa Barbara campsites. I've never camped in socal and since there will be kids and non-divers I'm looking for a site with showers, toilets, dog friendly, close enough to a dive center to refill tanks for the scuba guys, and of course good access to the beach. I've been looking at El Capitan and Refugio state beaches. Does anyone have any experience with these sites or could recommend another site I should look at? I know it's a long way off but need to plan ahead to make sure I can get time off of work.
reefstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Benny

Re: Camp and Dive Help

Keep in mind that most campgrounds allow dogs on leash, but very few allow dogs on the beach. Refugio is much easier beach access (If there is a beach anymore) but El Cap is a much nicer campground in my opinion.

When I lived up north and made trips down, I camped at El Cap the most, but went elsewhere to dive and rip around during the day.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
SeaZen

Tent camping or RV?
Great facilities for RV at Ocean Mesa and family, pool, bath, showers, store. This is opposite side of freeway at El Cap state beach, just above the Glamping Spot known as El Cap Canyon. While all three are same exit they are very different..
Diving the coast here can be a challenge, not due to sea conditions but due to fickleness of the lobster, early October is typically good coastal, it will rain the second or third week of October (has for as long as memory goes). But there is plenty of coastal spots within a short drive or yak of El Cap.
While Refugio is nice campground, sucks for dog owner, just to north is a nice spot, no rules, dogs love it, and some good beach diving.
Good luck, enjoy
SeaZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
SpearS0CAL
Beau

There are two dive shops nearby those campgrounds (~20-30min); Santa Barbara Aquatics in Goleta (primarily a scuba shop) and Bluewater Hunter in the SB harbor. For tank fills, SB aquatics is closer and has easier parking. But if you're looking for free diving gear, advice, or just to chat, I recommend stopping in to talk to Andy at BW Hunter. He's a local Freediver with tons of knowledge.
SpearS0CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
reefstalker
Husband, Father, Spearo

Thanks for the quick replies. Was thinking of diving Refugio at least one day, structure looks good, but I agree the campsite, at least from Google Earth looks less desirable then Capitan. Refugio doesn't seem like it's too far from El Capitan, like 20min or so?
I'm thinking of taking the week of the 3rd off at least mon thru fri, depending on what it looks like for me at work that week. We'll all be tent camping, but as long as it doesn't rain heavy we'll be fine. Camping up north gets you used to cold nights and wet, foggy mornings. We'll have kayaks and probably a small inflatable that we'll beach launch.

Last edited by reefstalker; 02-03-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
reefstalker
Husband, Father, Spearo

Thanks for the info spearS0CAL the tank guys will be happy. Will definitely be picking Andy's brain when I get to town.
Does anyone have any preference on campsites at El Capitan or are all the sites close to the showers/toilets.
What's the deal with lobsters and spearguns, the flopper is considered a hooking device, so if I had a slip tip with no flopper would I be in the clear? Any other gray areas of the law I should be aware of?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 AM   #7
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefstalker View Post
Thanks for the info spearS0CAL the tank guys will be happy. Will definitely be picking Andy's brain when I get to town.
Does anyone have any preference on campsites at El Capitan or are all the sites close to the showers/toilets.
What's the deal with lobsters and spearguns, the flopper is considered a hooking device, so if I had a slip tip with no flopper would I be in the clear? Any other gray areas of the law I should be aware of?
I like the upper loops at El Cap, any site 61-107. However, in my opinion, with ANY campground, the sites on the outside of the loops are pretty much always better and will be more secluded.

I recommend staying clear of any gray areas. There's a ton of discussion on this board about guns when bugging and measuring methods, pretty much all results in playing to safe side of the law.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
NaClAddict

Have you looked into Leo Carillo? Better chance of clean water and bugs IMHO.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
reefstalker
Husband, Father, Spearo

NaCl addict thanks for the response, no hadn't looked into that park at all. Are there good facilities shower, toilets that kinda thing? Still in the Santa Barbara area?
Old 02-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
NaClAddict

No, it's in the North LA area. It's a state park so it has the same facilities as El Cap and Refugio. You're looking at about an hour of drive time and similar drive to get tanks filled in Malibu. There are a couple of day use parks about 15-30 min away that you can park at with your camping pass. I just think your opportunities at bugs, game, and good vis are better there.

If you're determined in the Santa Barbara area then Refugio is the way to go. The beach is beautiful. The fish hook in the coast blocks the prevailing winds. It makes time out of the water much nicer. El Cap is notoriously dirty. I think Refugio allows dogs but they must be leashed.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
reefstalker
Husband, Father, Spearo

Thanks for the info on Carillo I'll see if everyone would be interested. We are trying to minimize the cost but it doesn't seem like it's much farther away. Any other locations ppl would recommend would be awsome, again thnx for the help
Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
growingupninja
Lance

Re: Leo Carillon

The beach part of the park straddles the LA/Ventura county line, roughly split at a small natural point. The LA beach is more 'beachy' with more people, whiter sand, etc but subject to all the LA beach regs--no dogs, no beer, no fire--and for a brief period in history--no frisbees. The Ventura side allows dogs (technically they have to be on lease), alcohol, and gas grills. If you are camping it is a non issue but entering the parking area to unload or park costs a little although locals mostly park on PCH and make short scramble down the hill to the beach. Non motorized craft (yaks) can be legally launched and landed from either side.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #13
reefstalker
Husband, Father, Spearo

Thanx for the info, I thought we had stupid regs up in monterey county, no high heels in carmel, no closed blinds on your windows in Pacific Grove, but can't imagine a beach without frisbees