Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
jfjf

Re: making - re-usable - slip on powerheads

The problem with that idea is that the tip must be against the bullet when you pull the trigger. It has to be touching, if you have it backed off and there is a space, then when you fire the PH may go off immediately as the the shaft moves forward and the PH is still at rest. I have used other PH with a gun that was over powered and the bullet fires when you pull the trigger. You don't want detonation until the PH contacts the target.

You don't want it too loose, you don't want it too tight but you want the tip touching the primer. I have known people who have used nail polish on the primer and then after drying, a smear of 5200. The idea being the 5200 MIGHT provide just a tiny cushion to prevent detonation by sliding the tip on too tight.

They really are a two edged sword, you probably are not going to put one on the shaft until you are scared and excited, but you have to be extremely aware of where your hand is. I have never had one go off in my hand, but I normally use mechanical ones rather than slip ons. It is very much a natural instinct to hold the end of the PH and slam it on to the tip.. which as described, will blow a hole through your hand - or remove it.

Another tip, if the "man" ever asks what THAT is, you just pick it up hold it to your lips and blow.. "It is a whistle officer", which of course is factually correct.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
Behslayer

Interesting. I have zero experience with using them. I wonder if using one on a 3-4 band gun would detonate just by pulling the trigger? Do you have to down power the gun before you shoot?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #18
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

I'm going to answer all the questions that jfjf and behslayer have without quoting them- I am not that computer saavy and when I try to do muliple quotes it doesn't come out right
for the question about the epoxy on the tip from jf jf:
the .308 bullets are very sharp and pointy - and what was happening when I started making them with this design- the spear was pushing the bullet - right out of the tube and embedding itself in the shark- and while it did go off- the shark wasn't dying (I wasn't trying to kill them - just make them go away) and the spear and bullet was embedded in the shark and I lost a spear or two like that. - With the .45 bullet - it is a non issue - because they are blunt by design- so they go off without penetration.
I solved the problem of penetration with the .308 - by tying tape around the base and pouring epoxy in the tape and make it blunt - and I can tell you this is no theory - it works very well.

second question - about them going off when fired - never happened to me with 1 or 2 or 3 bands - never tried it on a blue water gun with 4 bands or more - but I would advise using one or 2 bands if possible - keep in mind - you can just slam it into them - (or let them ram themselves on it - if they charge you) and it will go off- so you can unload a few bands while the shark circles and take it down a few notches (or bands - in this case)

also- it is important to fill the end of the pipe with silicone - so it isn't cup shaped- this will make it more hydrodynamic and won't catch water and make it go off when fired.

as far as a pin or some type of safety - I think this is unnecessary with slip ons - you just don't put it on the spear unless you are ready to fire it - and when the trouble leaves - take it off. - The very nature of how they are used makes them FAR more safe than any screw on types with actual firing pins.

as far as being excited and putting it on with your hand on top - just don't-
that's all I can say about that. With some practice it is not really a problem.
The first time you use one - should NOT be when Catherine or Deep blue is coming in- you really want to practice and also make sure your equipment is properly made .

I would advise practicing with them a bit- in a legal way of course-
I personally had a few grudges with some local assholes that cost me some gear - so I had a little fun taking revenge - while teaching some of the local pricks some manners - if you catch my drift.
It's amazing how smart some animals are - I think some divers were giving up their catch and teaching some locals bad manners - and after a few - well placed slip ons with .45's in them - all of a sudden - POOF - no more frisky behavior - even when speared fish were struggling - as soon as you swim at them - they darted off - when - weeks before - they were grabbing stuff and charging people and stuff like that.

One thing I never mentioned in the video - that I forgot - is that if youi are using a brand new spear with razor sharp tip - you want to take a file and blunt the tip - ever so slightly- not enough to make it dull - but (especially with brand new tri cuts) I always feared that the super sharp tip would puncture the primer so fast and deep that it wouldn't go off.
this never happened to me - since most of my spears are a tiny bit dull from hitting rocks and wrecks anyway.
this is a theory about the sharp tips - but it sounds correct - so I just took a file and took the tiniest bit off the tip - like 1/16" or 1/32"
some people are anal about having spear tips that are like razors - so - for those people - figure something else out - or try it with your razor tip in a non life threatening situation and see what happens.

the only thing that a slip on may not work for is a slip tip
it COULD work for a slip tip but you need to do some homework as far as getting it to fit correctly

last question - I think someone asked about the fit being tight or loose or something - I covered that in the video- you druill ouit the fuel hose till it is just right - I also take a q tip and put some silicone grease inside the fuel hose to make it slide on really nice - just be careful that you dont make it so it falls off - or is so tight that you are jamminmg it down.

another thing - (I think i will have to make a follow up video with some of the missing info such as this: you need to carry a pair of pliers - because the shell often wedges incredibly tight on the spear tip and you need pliers to get it off. When scuba diving especially- I carry a pair - so I can get the shell of the tip and re load it underwater.
for freed iving - you can just have it on the boat probably - since re loading it isnt necessary.

last thing keeping them in a baggie is very important - this way if you dont use it - it doesn't get wet - since these are not stainless - they rust really bad - also water intrusion can happen and then when Deep blue charges - you are carrying duds.

I hope I covered all questions - I don't type that fast - so making a post this long took me like 30 minutes
Old 01-15-2017, 12:17 AM   #19
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

also - I hope you all are "liking " my video on you tube

I actually enjoyed doing it - but having "likes" seems like a good thing
Old 01-15-2017, 05:48 AM   #20
kwtony
Snorkel Master

i like using power heads on gun with 5 or more bands...really ensures a proper shot...

Shew, I started using these at age 13 and learned nearly every answer to these questions about 3 shots in to using one...I have those same local assholes around my area too.

Jay, do you have any in .357, i want one that I can use the spear to clear the cartridge without a special tool or knife...funny thing is, i have 1000 rds of .223, 1000 of .40cal a few 1000 in .308 and im looking for that one bullet i dont have(technically I dont have a .17 caliber rifle yet...)....time to order 1000 of em.lol...ammoman.com is a great place tho

Last edited by kwtony; 01-15-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: tittysprinkles
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #21
Behslayer

Thanks for the info Jason. No Pin and Downpowering sounds like the way to go. In our situation up here we're with powered up Bluewater guns.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
jfjf

Thanks Jason, I didn't understand that part about the sharp bullet.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
kwtony
Snorkel Master

We are pretty powered up as well with our guns, even as just some random dude in florida. I do have 2 banded blue water guns but I wont tell you about my single banded blue water guns cause thats not needed...my 3 and 4 band guns use the same powerheads and kill the same assholes UW...

Bluewater or whatever, slip on push at shark..so easy a caveman can do it.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #24
Behslayer

Have you ever shot a 4 band gun with a Powerhead on it? My concern was that it might detonate from shock or water resistance prior to the target like JFJF was saying. In your experience is it suggested to De-Power a 4 band gun when shooting with a Powerhead? Nobody up here has any experience with these things as we are very new to Bluewater diving.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Have you ever shot a 4 band gun with a Powerhead on it? My concern was that it might detonate from shock or water resistance prior to the target like JFJF was saying. In your experience is it suggested to De-Power a 4 band gun when shooting with a Powerhead? Nobody up here has any experience with these things as we are very new to Bluewater diving.
never shot 4 bands on powerhead- they work best with 1 - 2 max
yes - de power if possible - if not - then use it to ram the enemy instead of shooting it - that works just fine also- it will do the job just like that
I suspect that it wont go off as long as you filled the end with silicone or 5200 like i recommend- maybe try it with a .45 - there is pretty much zero chance of their being an incident - even if it DID go off - providing its a .45
try that first in a pool or something and see what happens - like I said - really doubt it will go off
btw - you should try for a T bone shot - and not a skewed angle - the best shot is a 90deg shot - and stay away from the gill area- it can go inside and you lose all your gear
I like a lateral line shot if possible
just knoiw that if you spear a bullshark on the lateral line - they start doing upside down cartwheels in the water and snapping thier jaws at mid air - and it is Crazy! I usually avoid powerheading bulls and if you do - dont try for a kill - just hit them broadside in the midfish area
another thing (i am gonna have to make a follow up video) you need to be ready to get your knife out and cut the mono off - if it embedds in the shark or goes in ther gills - you may have to cut your mono to keep from losing your gun.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #26
breezy

Does any one use one of these on the end of the kill spike? Im new to bluewater and have just had a few pesky blue dogs to deal with so far and never used a bang stick before. having one that fits the kill spike seems like it would come in handy
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #27
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy View Post
Does any one use one of these on the end of the kill spike? Im new to bluewater and have just had a few pesky blue dogs to deal with so far and never used a bang stick before. having one that fits the kill spike seems like it would come in handy
they work that way - but your kill spike is likely shorter than your spear- so it wont work unless the spear is off the gun
when you have already shot a fish- then it will work
that is a good idea because often times the man in the grey suit
shows up right after you spear something- so having a kill spike - so
you can attach a powerhead- is a good idea
just make sure the kill spike is the same diameter as your spear- or you will need more than one size powerhead and that can get confusing- I guess you can keep one up one sleeve and one up the other
when you do put one on a kill spike - it works a little better if you push it on till it touches bullet - then back up around 3/16" - so that when youi slam it into jaws's face - the spear strikes the power head with a little momentum
it WILL go off if it's touching - it just works a tiny bit better that way
j
Old 01-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #28
breezy

was thinking the kill spike would be good if your using a slip tip and still have the shaft still in, you could knock off the slip tip so its not in the way and load up the kill spike
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #29
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy View Post
was thinking the kill spike would be good if your using a slip tip and still have the shaft still in, you could knock off the slip tip so its not in the way and load up the kill spike

yes - true - as long as the kill spike sticks past the spear - without the slip tip- but most kill spikes I have seen are so short that you would have to have the spear out - or the spear extends past the spike - rendering it useless
Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #30
Mango Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
I usually avoid powerheading bulls and if you do - dont try for a kill - just hit them broadside in the midfish area another thing (i am gonna have to make a follow up video) you need to be ready to get your knife out and cut the mono off - if it embedds in the shark or goes in ther gills - you may have to cut your mono to keep from losing your gun.

Yes Please! What's your alternative to power heading the bulls? Excellent thread by the way.
Mango Tango is offline   Reply With Quote