Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #1
Eddieparrasuper

Paddle Out from King Harbor

Is anyone interested in yaking to the peninsula? I will be diving for two, back to back, days. I will depart at 6:15 a.m. on Tuesday, January 30. Also, I want to go diving on the next day. I am bringing my rod to troll. Last time, I caught a nice bonito on my way out. PM me if interested. PS.I average at 3.4 miles per hour.
Eddieparrasuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
mikelb

Re: Paddle Out from King Harbor

Just a thought: launch from Malaga Cove with free parking and path to roll to the shore.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Trace

I second that!
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelb View Post
Just a thought: launch from Malaga Cove with free parking and path to roll to the shore.
Dude quit giving up my halibut spots

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
Eddieparrasuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelb View Post
Hey Mike,
I stopped launching from rat beach, because coming back into shore is detrimental. I wipeout at shore break and sometimes loose gear. The nose of my kayak dips and tips over. Though, I have survived without wiping-out. It is extremely difficult to control the direction of a kayak while being stirred. I have successfully surfed waves back onto shore, but luck definitely played a role on that. King Harbor is the easiest alternative route. I avoid loosing gear, and, I avoid the frigid morning cold water. In addition, I bring my fishing rod to troll across Redondo Beach. It is a lot of paddling, but I mostly think that it is worth it. I have paddled over 17 miles. I paddled from King Harbor to Point Vincent. The distance from King Harbor to Malaga cove is about 3 miles; that is equivalent to 40 minutes of nonstop paddling. I need to figure out the access that you are talking about. It would definitely help save time.

Last edited by Eddieparrasuper; 01-25-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Eddieparrasuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Dude quit giving up my halibut spots
you must mean opal eye
Old 01-24-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
Eddieparrasuper

Launching off the beach may be difficult for some. Timing is key. It is kinda like skimboarding. I go through the first row of waves easily. Then, carrying momentum from the trough, I paddle through white water; leaning back on the kayak helps skimb above the impending water. I angle the kayak parallel to the direction of the waves and prevent the kayak from propelling sideways. When the water's energy is moving to the opposite direction, the kayak may get caught with that current and may be taken back towards the shore. Successful, I paddle my fastest to the crest of the next wave. This is where people get caught up; the crest breaks over them. Be fully committed, paddle hard and push the kayak over the crest by leaning back. Continue to paddle out against the swell until you reach destiny.

Last edited by Eddieparrasuper; 01-25-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
Bob Ballew

The real issue with Redondo crossings is the return trip...often the wind is against you and creates a" paddle two feet and get pushed back a foot" all the way home...far safer to park by the school/,swimming club area at Torrance beach south, roll your kayak down the road to the beach and paddle around to the spots...you can leave your better half sunning on he beach while you get a few dives in and not beat yourself to death coming back...backwash can be an issue, but, my wife knows to grab the bow rope and pull me in...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote