Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #196
growingupninja
Lance

Re: Carbon Fin Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
So, any outcome with the tests?
Not yet. I am waiting on a medium Bluetec Checkmate from Petros. I did test my logging system in the ocean a couple weeks ago. For fun, here are some results...

This one was kinda crazy, as a warmup I did a 10M hang for a minute in our water (it was 56F at the surface) and no mask. You can see heavy dive response. The huge HR increase halfway through we suspect are the device getting confused by the low heart rate; they don't engineer hr monitors with the intent of measuring rates in the low 20's. My normal resting is 55bpm. Going to test this further against a manual pulse taken from the carotid artery, but for actual fin test HR will be higher and the device is accurate.

This was a touch and go, and I finned my way around on the bottom instead of using the rope... very metabolically expensive.

This one was swimming down and then swimming a 10lb weight up from the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #197
growingupninja
Lance

Lost one of my beloved Bluetec Blade fins off the boat yesterday and so broke down and got a pair of Cetma Pranas (thanks Petros and Dave) medium in a Pathos pocket. Here is my first impression after tooling around in a pool today for bit....

Very nice fin for stereo bifin kick. The progressive stiffness feels great and provides instant torque and acceleration when I open the throttle. Make of the fin is very similar to my Bluetec Blade (one of the very early 'progressive' stiffness models), which is something I looked for, however the Cetmas have the crazy steep blade angle. I have always been a bit skeptical of the blade angle... it was interesting. The fin feels significantly softer on the forward sweep due to blade angle. Back sweep feels powerful but does not feel like more effort than my old fin. So, good power for traditional bi-fin kick.

Downside to the blade angle is that not giving the same thrust on the forward kick is that my dolphin kick feels a bit weaker. For many spearos this will be a non-issue, but when teaching, lobster diving, and spearing deep I use a fair bit of dolphin kick on ascent.

For depth competition, the CMAS rule is that if you are using bi-fins you are not allowed to do any dolphin kicks--you must do stereo/common kick when doing constant weight bi-fins, so for anyone doing CMAS comp this will be a non issue. I will be using the fin for competitive bi-fin at depth World's in Turkey soon...

Anyway, Cetma Pranas, very excellent fin for regular bifins, could be better if you do a lot of dolphin kicking in your bifins.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
Old 11-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #198
jhip

Send a message via AIM to jhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Lost one of my beloved Bluetec Blade fins off the boat yesterday and so broke down and got a pair of Cetma Pranas (thanks Petros and Dave) medium in a Pathos pocket. Here is my first impression after tooling around in a pool today for bit....

Very nice fin for stereo bifin kick. The progressive stiffness feels great and provides instant torque and acceleration when I open the throttle. Make of the fin is very similar to my Bluetec Blade (one of the very early 'progressive' stiffness models), which is something I looked for, however the Cetmas have the crazy steep blade angle. I have always been a bit skeptical of the blade angle... it was interesting. The fin feels significantly softer on the forward sweep due to blade angle. Back sweep feels powerful but does not feel like more effort than my old fin. So, good power for traditional bi-fin kick.

Downside to the blade angle is that not giving the same thrust on the forward kick is that my dolphin kick feels a bit weaker. For many spearos this will be a non-issue, but when teaching, lobster diving, and spearing deep I use a fair bit of dolphin kick on ascent.

For depth competition, the CMAS rule is that if you are using bi-fins you are not allowed to do any dolphin kicks--you must do stereo/common kick when doing constant weight bi-fins, so for anyone doing CMAS comp this will be a non issue. I will be using the fin for competitive bi-fin at depth World's in Turkey soon...

Anyway, Cetma Pranas, very excellent fin for regular bifins, could be better if you do a lot of dolphin kicking in your bifins.

Would you recommend the Cetmas for regular spearfishing / surface swimming?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #199
growingupninja
Lance

@jhip sure, they make very nice fins. Try to demo a pair as Cetma makes a variety of models and stiffnesses.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #200
jhip

Send a message via AIM to jhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
@jhip sure, they make very nice fins. Try to demo a pair as Cetma makes a variety of models and stiffnesses.

Thanks Lance!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #201
cam3087

Carbon Fin Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
super super stoked with Cetma Mantras in Medium.

huge amount of grunt on tap for deep haulage, but still with that ankle- and knee-friendly Euro flex, and that radical 33 degree pre-load really suits me

The way their footpockets are built to reduce twist, coupled with the big rails, everything's channelled into forward thrust, feel to me much more efficient than my C4's and Waterways. Havent tried Alchemys

Loving Cetma's little Dynami-techs for around the reef, scuba work - anywhere full length blades are a hassle, and for long surface swims, can literally kick all day against current in those things, no blisters [am not wearing socks with either of the Cetma blades] and no knee and ankle soreness. bloody revelation after years of using old-school stiff carbon blades

Just ordered a pair of cetma pranas in medium. Canít wait to try them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cam3087 is offline   Reply With Quote