Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Re: Gulf of Mexico Red Grouper Recreational Fishing Season will close on October 8, 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Dweller View Post
The big question I have to ask everyone here is....

If the recreational data somehow became 100% correct and it showed that there were more fish being landed than what the NMFS is "best guessing", would you all be ok with tighter regulations??????

Just playing devils advocate because it certainly could be the case.
Having 100% correct data would change a lot of things including the equations to what could be caught while still maintaining a sustainable catch ratio. The big problem is that so many of the factors remain horribly skewed but still remain as part of the equations.

So Scott, my answer would be "yes" as having such a good number would affect all equations. Unfortunately there will be no such data anytime soon.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #17
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Gulf of Mexico Red Grouper Recreational Fishing Season will close on October 8, 2

Show up to a NOAA meeting (or whoever is in charge of this idiocracy) and you'll understand there is nearly no legitimate data used...Hidden agendas and what not...you could literally see it in their shit eaten grins.

They tried to double the size of "no anchor zones" in the keys recently and actually used lion fish as a scapegoat..At that point I literally stood up and called them a bunch of fools... might have used 'less nice' words tho...
Before...the bs meeting 50 miles away for some...

Smiles after we won

Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
grey2112

Tony - is that a KILT you are wearing?

DUDE!

You just gained +10 Respect points in my book - can't wait to buy you a drink at the Brass Monkey next time I'm in the Keys
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #19
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Haha they were NOT ready for us that day. The ugly guy mean mugging the camera in the selfie wearing the green shirt is Powerhead. Hes a real good dude, and has been fighting this battle for much longer then I have. We all stood up and gave em a piece of us they wont forget...but truth be told, once these girls got up in front of the board, we knew it was already done.

I just respectfully told them to take their science and sell it to someone else. I had 3 minuets, I rapped it up in 2

FUN Fact #2 about kilts : you can pee nearly anywhere...

FUN Fact #6 about kilts : I am peeing peeing right now...
Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #20
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
can't wait to buy you a drink at the Brass Monkey next time I'm in the Keys
I know you like WOODYS better, I think we should go for a road trip up there
Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #21
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I know you like WOODYS better, I think we should go for a road trip up there
Works for me, and I'm sure better scenery
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #22
sfmill
checkthewater

I hate to be a pessimist but I really don't believe 100% reporting will help rec fisherman at all.
Alabama's red snapper reporting program has been in effect for 2yrs.
The state reported a harvest 418,000lbs for our 9 day season.
But the MRIP program said 1,041,000lbs of red snapper was caught?????
Now I am sure everyone did not report there catch but those 2 numbers are way off.
Half a million pounds difference??
So did they extend or season NOPE!
And why don't they have the meetings at night or evenings when people with day jobs can attend so we don't have to take vacation.
Its a flawed system to say the least.
Everyone do there home work the restaurant and seafood industry runs the show because they are paying our politicians MILLIONS of dollars to see things there way.
sfmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #23
kwtony
Snorkel Master

^^ completely agree...I canceled 4 trips that day to be at this meeting. We all car pooled too....they changed the times and dates on us at least 2-4 times. I lost track...
Old 10-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #24
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmill View Post
I hate to be a pessimist but I really don't believe 100% reporting will help rec fisherman at all.
Alabama's red snapper reporting program has been in effect for 2yrs.
The state reported a harvest 418,000lbs for our 9 day season.
But the MRIP program said 1,041,000lbs of red snapper was caught?????
Now I am sure everyone did not report there catch but those 2 numbers are way off.
Half a million pounds difference??
So did they extend or season NOPE!
And why don't they have the meetings at night or evenings when people with day jobs can attend so we don't have to take vacation.
Its a flawed system to say the least.
Everyone do there home work the restaurant and seafood industry runs the show because they are paying our politicians MILLIONS of dollars to see things there way.
There was no doubt in my mind the state sponsored reporting system was going to be a joke. It has as many or more flaws and loop holes than the any federal method. The truth may hurt but the only way we will be on a level playing field with the commercial fleet is by utilizing the same record keeping and VMS tracking. Even that won't be a perfect system but it will be way better than the guessing game going on now. We could also go to a tag system with mandatory reporting but that has it's issues as well.

I still contend regardless of how bad we think it's managed that we have one of if not the best managed fisheries in the world. A visit to any coastal country or island with a quarter of the fishermen we have per square mile will convince you of such very quickly.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #25
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I still contend regardless of how bad we think it's managed that we have one of if not the best managed fisheries in the world. A visit to any coastal country or island with a quarter of the fishermen we have per square mile will convince you of such very quickly.
^^^^ this

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #26
sfmill
checkthewater

Its sad about other countries fishing problems but I don't pay for reefs to be dropped outside of Alabama. And I have been fishing and diving in the caribbean and pacific coast of central America.
The federal government asked for numbers we give them numbers they don't like the numbers so they tell Alabama this is what we think you caught.
I am not saying the numbers are 100% accurate but taking the #s and them doubling them is absurd.
Not counting the fact that 1000s of private reefs produce fish and help spawning for repopulation of public reefs when they get hammered.
IMHO it is the equivalency someone planting a garden that helps feed the neighborhood and your family but you can only get a few veggies out.
Or option #2 pay the federal govt $5,000 to $10,000 then you can catch all you want but you have to sell your catch.
I don't want to sink the boat with fish. I just want things fair across the board.
Each state has its own circumstances and fish populations so each state should be able to regulate its own fishery.
A month ago we went tuna fishing at night there were 3 boats the size of small cities setting nets and i am pretty sure they were not culling the fish that was not in season. Just something to think about.
If the govt wants to hire enough people to wait at the dock for everyone so they can check my catch i will buy a vms system tomorrow.
But he or she better be prepared to work nites and weekends.
sfmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #27
spearhawgin17

If you take 1,900,000 lbs of red grouper and assume every grouper kept is 10 lbs, and subtracted the 10 remaining weeks in the year.

That would mean every single day this year, 323 people went out and caught a limit of 2, 10lb red grouper.

If you assumed that recreational catch was only caught on 2 days out each week:

That would mean on each of those 2 days every week this year 1,131 people went out and caught a limit of 2, 10lb red grouper.

Thoughts?
spearhawgin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #28
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhawgin17 View Post
If you take 1,900,000 lbs of red grouper and assume every grouper kept is 10 lbs, and subtracted the 10 remaining weeks in the year.

That would mean every single day this year, 323 people went out and caught a limit of 2, 10lb red grouper.

That would mean on each of those 2 days every week this year 1,131 people went out and caught a limit of 2, 10lb red grouper.

Thoughts?
How many people per boat? How many SW licensed anglers are there fishing the Gulf. There is just no good data so assumptions will be made.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #29
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhawgin17 View Post

Thoughts?
Yep I've run the numbers before and the assumptions are ridiculous. Sure the Gulf is a big place but there is no way that many anglers are consistently catching that many reds on any given day. What about when cold fronts blow through or rain days...
They probably include the inshore guys, wade fisherman etc... in their catch assumptions for Offshore species. Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #30
sos26

Don't forget the Hog fish BS , that claimed thousands of pounds were caught from shore.
it's all a joke!