Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #106
kodama

Re: New C4 Gladius speargun

One more thing to mention is that the 16mm band is sitting loose in the band hole and therefore the bands whip forward after the shot is fired and tangled with the too long dyneema in front of the muzzle.

Pushing the band more forward and tightening it up with s band raiser would also help.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #107
popgun pete

Are you running the shooting line through the lower line wrap hook with the reel fitted?
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:50 AM   #108
kodama

New C4 Gladius speargun

The gun was rigged up as it is designed. With a reel and the shooting line running trough and over the line guide with a double wrap.

I reviewed some footage and it is pretty clear now that the problem was the dyneema. I am about 90% sure that with the proper length of mono there would not be an issue.
Too bad really that I wasted some precious pool time just because I did not count for enough mono. That happens when you rig a speargun after a few bears...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 11.43.45 AM.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	245515  

Last edited by kodama; 05-25-2020 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #109
popgun pete

This is what I meant by using the wrap hook on the bottom as a line guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4 Gladius rig.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	245516  
Old 05-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #110
kodama

I understand what you mean Pete.

C4 spearguns in the past always had very specific ways of how the mono has to be wrapped. I was, and still am, under the impression that with the Gladius they have gone the conventional way. If not they could have mentioned it in their manual.

When the mono was single wrapped, as in Pete’s diagram, I did not have a single issue. The problems happened with a double wrap and combination of mono and dyneema being wrapped closely together. It was the (rather stiff) dyneema that got tangled up in the bands.
I still believe it is user error by not using mono that was long enough.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:47 AM   #111
kodama

Here is an interesting question answered by Natalia Bonfanti the daughter of Marco B. founder of C4.

Alessandro Abbiati Can you tell me why you abandoned the rubber bands in line with the gladius and why you did the auction guide instead of the tested "slider"

· Reply ·
Natalia G. Bonfanti
Natalia G. Bonfanti Alessandro Abbiati In recent years the vast demand of markets, especially export, has been for a rifle with circular headboard.
With this type of headboard we considered it necessary to equip the rifle with an auction guide to be very good precision. Precision and trim are indeed the best features of Gladius
Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #112
AEgir

^^^ Interesting, and thanks for sharing, but someone really should have told these folks that what the international market really wants are circular bands that ARE inline with the spear.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #113
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Here is an interesting question answered by Natalia Bonfanti the daughter of Marco B. founder of C4.

Alessandro Abbiati Can you tell me why you abandoned the rubber bands in line with the gladius and why you did the auction guide instead of the tested "slider"

· Reply ·
Natalia G. Bonfanti
Natalia G. Bonfanti Alessandro Abbiati In recent years the vast demand of markets, especially export, has been for a rifle with circular headboard.
With this type of headboard we considered it necessary to equip the rifle with an auction guide to be very good precision. Precision and trim are indeed the best features of Gladius
Auction is how the word for spear translates on the on-line translators. The circular headboard must refer to the band anchor hole as the guns have used circular bands for years. Cord wishbones mean the bands can be tied on the gun, in fact they have to be as there is no band slot.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #114
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEgir View Post
^^^ Interesting, and thanks for sharing, but someone really should have told these folks that what the international market really wants are circular bands that ARE inline with the spear.

At first I was not too concerned about it but now With more testing experience I do feel the same.

It is not very clear on the picture but the bands are actually angled lying on the face of the gun. There must be friction loss there. The arrows exaggerate what I mean.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #115
popgun pete

Quote:
At first I was not too concerned about it but now With more testing experience I do feel the same.

It is not very clear on the picture but the bands are actually angled lying on the face of the gun. There must be friction loss there. The arrows exaggerate what I mean.

With water lubrication there is nothing in it, what you don't want is the band ends skating on the barrel, but with the tumble home on the top deck that does not happen as the wishbone approaches the muzzle.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #116
kodama

Today I received this upgrade kit from C4. It came with a bottle of wine which was a nice gesture from them and instructions on how to cut it to length.
It gives you an additional 20mm of bandstretch.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #117
popgun pete

Quote:
Today I received this upgrade kit from C4. It came with a bottle of wine which was a nice gesture from them and instructions on how to cut it to length.
It gives you an additional 20mm of bandstretch.

Hard foam plug?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #118
AEgir

Synthetic wine bottle cork
Old 05-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #119
popgun pete

I expect that the free publicity, over 12,000 views, had something to do with it.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:49 AM   #120
kodama

New C4 Gladius speargun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEgir View Post
Synthetic wine bottle cork

Which makes it a 90 cm bandstretch gun. Except that I am now unable to load it to the last sharkfin until I change the band.

Last edited by kodama; 06-01-2020 at 07:02 AM.