Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
StabbinBoy
A good view on life

Send a message via AIM to StabbinBoy
Men are more intelligent than women, claims new study

Finally. Vindication.

Read the excerpts from this article :http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

"The study - carried out by a man - concluded that men's IQs are almost four points higher than women's. "

"He claims the 'glass ceiling' phenomenon is probably due to inferior intelligence, rather than discrimination or lack of opportunity. "

"'We know that men have larger brains, even when you take into account larger body size,' said the researcher. 'That means there are more neurons. The question is what these neurons are doing in a man - and they probably have an advantage in processing information.' "

The author of this study has got kaHONas to spare. Kudos to him for finally proving what I have suspected for so long...
StabbinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Re: Men are more intelligent than women, claims new study

Like WE didn't already know that . . .

"Women needn't feel despondent, however, as the scientists believe women can achieve just as much as men - as long as they work harder."
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
wreckchick

Send a message via MSN to wreckchick

I'm just glad that the major corporations are run by those smarty pants 17-18 yr old boys.

The conclusions drawn have zero to do with the actual outcome of the study itself. If you like I'll pull it all apart with my tiny, feeble female brain.

Rachel
wreckchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckchick
I'm just glad that the major corporations are run by those smarty pants 17-18 yr old boys.

The conclusions drawn have zero to do with the actual outcome of the study itself. If you like I'll pull it all apart with my tiny, feeble female brain.

Rachel

*lips pursed* Ooooooooo....somebody sounds bitter.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
wreckchick

Nah, just a minor in statisics that allows me to actually look at studies like that and see where the conclusions don't fit the breadth of the study. This one actually amuses the crap out of me excepting the idea that people might actually believe it.

R
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
inletsurf

The study was done for women, who don't have the common sense to realize the obvious.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
StabbinBoy
A good view on life

Send a message via AIM to StabbinBoy

"Nah, just a minor in statisics that allows me to actually look at studies like that and see where the conclusions don't fit the breadth of the study. This one actually amuses the crap out of me excepting the idea that people might actually believe it."

Rachel who could pass on such a generous offer? By all means, enlighten us!

Another choice revelation from this groundbreaking study:

"It is thought the difference may date back to the Stone Age, with women seeking out men who are more intelligent than them in a bid to pass on the best genes to their children."

Do we make you horny, baby?
StabbinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Dragginfish
Better Lucky than Good

Oh Stabbin - Man you know how to push all the right buttons. You better watch out when Petra comes over she is going to rip you a new one!!

Or don't you remember that you dive with females that carry large sharp pointy objects!!

You might have a chance if you, very slowly step away from the keyboard and start with the "Who me, no not me!" looks

Good Luck making it through the weekend!!

See you at the Bottom

Dragginfish

It's more important than that....
Dragginfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
wreckchick

A couple things jumped out at me on the first read. The first one was the extrapolation from 17-18 year olds to much older individuals climbing the corporate ladder. The author assumes that not only does the difference he noted in this study persist into later adulthood and that this intelligence gap is present in executives. I don't see any mention of a study of upper level managers being compared by gender to look for an intelligence gap so obviously I find this conclusion suspect.

There is also the inference that the only thing that could cause the more intelligent men to attain more success in climbing the corporate ladder is, in fact, being smarter. I'm pretty sure that there have been plenty of studies that show that executives also tend to be taller and better looking. Does that mean that handsome, tall men are smarter? I think we can all agree that that's clearly not the case. He also leaves out any mention of social constructs that would account for more men in executive positions.

Therefore, even if men are smarter than women, I find that the conclusion that women being stupider accounts for the perceived glass ceiling to be utter crap.

Ok, now on the brain size issue. Men are more robust than women. Physiologically this means that bone is proportionally bigger and features are more prominant. This is not psychology, it's physiology. What it means in this case is that men have bigger heads proportionally to their size than women. The thing that fills up the giant noggins is the brain. So far so good? Good. Now the thing that seperates humans from other critters is not gross brain size but how the brain is allocated into the different areas. Humans have a gigantic frontal lobe compared to other animals and it's commonly agreed upon that this accounts for our greater intellectual ability. Men and women do not differ in the amount of proportional brain material dedicated to the frontal lobe. This would be why there is NO correlation between physically small people being less intelligent than physically big people. The actual brain size doesn't make a difference.

Last, but clearly not least is my FAVORITE part of this entire article. The author clearly states that women tend to do better in school than men and attributes that to an early maturation and that men "catch up and surpass" in the late teens. Well, that's fabulous but why on earth would he then say that once that occurs, the trend couldn't reverse or even out over the next ten years?

A note on the study itself, the article doesn't actually link to the study questions but does point out how the sample could easily be skewed to favor one side or the other. It says that men tend to do better in spatial ability and women in verbal. Later in the article there is a mention of a previous study measuring verbal abilities of a similar peer group that showed that men were more intelligent. Huh? I thought we just determined that was women's forte. Reading that puts both studies in doubt, in my mind. It also has an emphasis on how 'fast' a concept is grasped which kind of means nothing.

Saying that there are more male chess grandmasters than female is a two-fold statement as well. First of all, that plays directly into the idea that men have a better sense of spatial qualities than women; second, how many women do you know that play chess? Nowhere does it say that the percentage of men that achieve grandmaster status is greater than the percentage of women that achieve the same. Again, I toss this one out the window. Oh, and the 'geniuses' thing. You're going to have to tell me how 'genius' is defined for that little statement to mean a darn thing.

I've pretty much put the first beatdown on this horse. Anyone want to help understand where my logic went wrong?

Rachel
Old 09-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
inletsurf

Denial is not a river in Egypt, honey.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
wreckchick

Is that the best you can do?

R
Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
inletsurf

You're a mouthy one, aren't you?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #13
wreckchick

Yes.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
Redneck7
Waiting on warm water

Send a message via AIM to Redneck7

My girlfriend went off on a tangent about how there weren't any p-values so it wasn't valid and that the conclusions were a bit far fetched and...blah, blah, blah. Couldn't just accept it...

You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Redneck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
ObieWan2bWet
Stupid should hurt

All I know is someone is'nt going to be getting any for while... regardless of the theory that women may not have the brains... they certainly have the power...

A HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE WILL REMAIN IN PLACE,
EAST WINDS 5 KNOTS. SEAS 1 FOOT.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS SMOOTH.
ObieWan2bWet is offline   Reply With Quote