Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
kehloken

Mukilteo Dive Accident 4/17/2014

Although I don't know any of the variables of the dive, but the area is for deep diving and training for deep dives. we have had a good run with no diving deaths here in the Puget Sound and Washington.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...WS01/140418922

Also just want to remind the Spearos to be careful especially the new ones, as a few years ago two separate areas two men died within hours of each other spearfishing during lingcod.
Basically if you're new to scuba you need to go out and practice with your gun and equipment and not think about the value you spent trying to get fish. maintain your gas usage, good rule is as soon as the fish is in manageable condition to put on stringer, check your gauge. Then brain it, cut the gills whatever your practices are check your gas supply again.

The diver in the article they had to do CPR so it really doesn't look good for him but hopefully he pulls through, must always have great appreciation of the depths. I did a deep dive on Wednesday, only because the visibility opened up was really nice with the sunshine, particles were huge as everything was breaking up. I also did videos of wrecks and reefs last week with this great visibility window we had. I was checking out my new little dive boat and doing variable dives with it.

So as the spearfishing has began out on the coast, and Cabazon starts May 1 here in the Puget Sound may all be safe whether free dive or Scuba.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
kehloken

Re: Mukilteo Dive Accident 4/17/2014

Well I thought Ron Aekeson would know who was in this dive accident, Just did not ever think it would be him. Ron was a biologist diver of some sort in catalina island many years ago, the last time I seen him was in 99 when he mentioned his background. He was one of the greatest technical dive instructors out there. Not sure how this happen as nothing has came public.
He put on a many tech dive trips in the PNW and had boat loads of fun.

http://www.adventuresdownunder.com/other/index.htm

Ron will sure be missed and so will his Deep diving reports.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014...ml?sp=/99/101/