Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
apeogre

Planning for Panama

I've done some researching and searching through the forums. I'm trying to get my Panama packing list together. I'm trying to come up with a list of everything I'll need and compare it with what I have. For those of you who've been to hunt big ol tuna, please advise on things I'll need and not need. I'll probably go with spearfishing panama as I've got no experience down there and need someone to take me out to Hannibal banks.

Is everything blue water fishing or should I bring a reef gun as well? I'm looking for advice on the blue water setup, however, how long of a reef gun, if any, should I bring? Will a sportive 2 be big enough or should I get a second 2 or a 3? How do I bring fish back with me?

Things I've got:
Blue Water-
Rob Allen 35 liter float
6 foot bungee
neptonics inflatable float
Sportube 2
Neptonics Clutch
Ulusub 172 on order

Things I need:
Riffe Bungee float line (length 100 foot?)
Third float
How many spare shafts/slip tips?

Reef:
I've got a 60" gun, 43" gun and a 38" gun
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Planning for Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeogre View Post
I've done some researching and searching through the forums. I'm trying to get my Panama packing list together. I'm trying to come up with a list of everything I'll need and compare it with what I have. For those of you who've been to hunt big ol tuna, please advise on things I'll need and not need. I'll probably go with spearfishing panama as I've got no experience down there and need someone to take me out to Hannibal banks.

Is everything blue water fishing or should I bring a reef gun as well? I'm looking for advice on the blue water setup, however, how long of a reef gun, if any, should I bring? Will a sportive 2 be big enough or should I get a second 2 or a 3? How do I bring fish back with me?

Things I've got:
Blue Water-
Rob Allen 35 liter float
6 foot bungee
neptonics inflatable float
Sportube 2
Neptonics Clutch
Ulusub 172 on order

Things I need:
Riffe Bungee float line (length 100 foot?)
Third float
How many spare shafts/slip tips?

Reef:
I've got a 60" gun, 43" gun and a 38" gun
sport tube 2 should be fine ,
get a neptonis or mori bungie not a riffe , riffe has a tuna cord core compared to the others having a spectra core , the riffe is way overpriced for what you get .
i would bring the 60" gun and a reef/ back up gun

bring as many spare shafts and tips as you can

you really cant bring fish home the travel times and total lack of ice and refrigeration on the island make it almost impossible to bring meat home that would be worth eating

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 AM   #3
apeogre

Thanks Phil! My 60" gun shoots a 7.5mm shaft. Too small? Everyone seems to be going with 5/16 or 3/8" shafts. Though, I suppose getting close is really the key.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
adzhoo

Send a message via Skype™ to adzhoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeogre View Post
Thanks Phil! My 60" gun shoots a 7.5mm shaft. Too small? Everyone seems to be going with 5/16 or 3/8" shafts. Though, I suppose getting close is really the key.
Yes, it's the key, but it's really not up to you. It depends on where you will be dropped by the pangero and on the tunas. The tunas have a behavior of their own, passing closer sometimes if you are lucky, but usually too far away to clip them comfortably with a regular gun. If you chum and if it works, you can shoot tunas with a 110, but what if it doesn't?

The "minimum" serious tuna gun is, imho, a 65 with 4 bands, 5/16 shaft with a reliable sliptip. I use the smaller guns to double-shoot them, at the end of the fight.
The thicker/heavier the shaft, the better penetration you will have at distance. I gave up using my 65 Wong in favor of my 72 Wong, or my Steve Alexander tuna gun for that reason: both shoot a thicker shaft. You saw probably on my latest video that the shots are taken at a long distance. You improve dramatically your odds with such a gun.
adzhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Riptide
Straight Blastin em

How did the trip go?!

I planning on returning to panama too.

I would pack:

Accurate 120 reef gun
Big blue water gun- slip tip
Backup second shot gun-reliable flopper
2 floats, 2 floatlines, bungee