Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
rnln

Wetsuit question

Hi guys,
I am looking at this mares instinct pants. I am new and don't have much experience on other brands yet. Considering both quality/price, do you guys say get it or if there is any other brand/deal can be better?

Any input would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mares-Insti...KCc:rk:20:pf:0
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #2
Sanny

Re: Wetsuit question

Mares makes good stuff. There are a handful of low price suits out there- Picasso comes to mind. Your dive day is done if you get cold- 3.5 mm is for pretty warm water- make sure you buy a suit that is appropriate for diving in your local water temps (e.g.I surf in a 4/3 suit but dive my local waters in a 7mm suit).
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
divenfish

One basic question would where are you planing to dive and when?
If it is CA, NorCal year round usually calls for a 7 mm suit, for So Cal you can likely get away with a 5 mm suit year round
It terms of buying a suit, keep an eye on "Memeber Items" on this forum, good deals are to be found.
If you want a new wetsuit and need it now, check out mako spearguns site, their pricing, quality and customer serviced is unmatched, in my opinion.
https://www.makospearguns.com/Wetsuits-s/94.htm

If you are new to the sport dive forums and your local diveshop are good places for information, but again you can not go wrong with Mako (I am not affiliated with mako).

BTW: Pants only dive it is not a pleasant one, trust me, I tried it once
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #4
cam3087

Wetsuit question

Mares might be a step up from cressi but I would stay away from both. QC is questionable. I’d way rather buy mako and then It goes into a steep price point of yazbeck, Omer, riffe.
cam3087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Castor

Get a Mako. I just got my third one. They are incredibly comfortable, warm and priced at half the cost of other suits. I can’t even think about buying another suit.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

Having used the Mares Instinct pants in 5.5mm and blown through them in a little over a year, I'll add my two cents...

My main question to you is where are you diving? If you're shorediving or kayak diving reefs and rocky areas, I'd suggest an alternative with thicker and more durable knee/elbow pads. The knee pads are simply a few thin strips of thermplastic bonded to the outer material. They provide little to no protection and will wear quickly.

Their warmth was decent, but durability and as QC (as previously mentioned) seem not to be there. With that being said, the right size and thickness can be found dirt cheap online.

I would agree with previous posters that Mako, Picasso, Yazbeck, and others would be a superior selection and give you more longevity.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:12 AM   #7
rnln

Thanks everyone for your suggestion. I do mostly shore dive in Socal. Sounds like most people suggested Mako.
Thanks again.
... Since we are here and I only need pants, what do you guys think about Seac Python?

Last edited by rnln; 02-17-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
Bob Ballew

Price does not mean much if the suit is ill-fitting and you are constantly getting cold water down the back or up the legs...I would bite the bullet and have a custom fit bottom made by someone like M&B wetsuits in Long Beach...the exception is if you can try it on and get lucky enough to find one that actually fits properly...I would go with 7mm and wear an old ratty or ill-fitting suit if the water is too warm later...more divers drop out of diving due to getting tired of being cold, than any other reason....me, I have never liked getting wet, and even worse, getting cold....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #9
rnln

bob,
7mm? You meant for scuba right, or freediving too?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey divenfish, cam3087, Castor, makemwearit, and rnln,

Thanks a lot guys! I very much appreciate your support.

I should also thank Tommy Yamamoto and his team at the Yamamoto Corporation.
I’m so stoked to offer 100% genuine Yamamoto neoprene wetsuits. They are super warm, and because
they stretch so much, you get a custom like fit, even if you are outside the standard size charts.

Not only does Yamamoto make the absolute best neoprene in the world, Tommy and his team assisted me
in designing my suits to have every important feature needed to make a quality suit.
Some of these features might not be noticed by a diver new to the sport.

For example, as makemwearit pointed out, some suits have kneepads that are actually printed on with a type of ink, of all things.
They offer no padding or protection at all. My Yamamoto suits, as recommended by Tommy Yamamoto,
have real knee padding and material that is very rugged. Huge difference in quality.

Other important features to look for are “face seals”, “wrist cuff seals” and “ankle cuff seals” around the face, wrists and ankles.
Lower quality suits do not have these cuffs. They instead have simple stitching which does very little to keep water out.

Again, thanks to Tommy, all of my freedive suits have the face seals, wrist cuff seals and ankle cuff seals.

Of course, there are other features, such as built in knife pockets, sex specific suits (no unisex), reinforced seams, etc., too much to list here.

So, I am creating a check list on my website showing what to look for in a high quality suit. Hope to have it available soon.

As for my prices, because I sell direct to divers, (no dive shop markup), the price for my 100% genuine Yamamoto wetsuit,
is actually less than a suit made with Chinese neoprene with no face, wrist, ankle seals, knee pads, knife pocket, seam re enforcement, etc.

Thanks again guys. As you can see, I am totally stoked on this stuff.

Dive safe,

dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
Sanny

rnln,
7mm for freediving for sure- if the water temp requires. The biggest fail would be buying (which ever brand) wetsuit that wasn't appropriate for the water temps you're going to be using it for- your breath holds will hit a brick wall if you get cold because your suit is too thin.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
Bob Ballew

I second Dano on the Yamamoto rubber. My new suit is made of it and is very stretchy, making it easy for an old guy to get into without wearing myself out just suiting up....My old custom fit 1/4" suit finally exhausted me just getting into it (hey, it was 10 years old and getting stiff)….but, it kept me warm and in the water while my buddies were cold and getting out...The less openings, the better....for that reason, I go with an attached hood top and farmer john bottom which provides a double layer over the ribs...Even with my new stretchy suit, I still use a liquid soap/water mix to lube the suit with...Solves two issues: tears in the fabric and the soap helps clean the suit...Once in the water, the soap dissipates and white sea bass take no notice....never understood divers willingness to pay big bucks for a lube that is just grease...but, I am an old fart....what do I know?....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 02-20-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #13
cam3087

Ok I need new wetsuit... can I get discount now for selling a mako? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cam3087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
rnln

Thanks everyone, hope this is the last question I have on this topic and hope you guys don't mind.
Regarding the black Yamamoto Y45 from Mako. As I understand, it is stretchier and not as durable as the Y49 (Mako camo suit). it also doesn't have the knee pads. I wonder how "not as durable" it is compare to the normal camo suit? Has anyone has this black suit and can be able to tell from personal experience?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rnln; 02-19-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #15
jdeirmend

I'll offer an opinion based on over a decade, by now, of using freedive wetsuits, and being let down by almost every single one I've bought, at least by the 1 year mark of frequent to infrequent use.

#1. I don't know why it's gone in this direction . . . but open cell SUCKS. Almost everything out there is open cell. I hate it. It tears way too easily, agglomerates bacteria that can lead to foliculitis, and absolutely cannot be donned without lube. You MUST wash with some kind of disinfectant. This is annoying.

#2. That being said, those Mako's look really nice. If I were to invest in something 2 piece freedive, probably thems.

#3. My absolute preference is a durable, rugged, single piece bodyglove type suit. Lots of people don't care for this. But for off the shelf, they last longer, don't require lube, are far less prone to rips and tears, and are as warm as you need 'em to be. Welded seams are incredibly durable and waterproof, and a plush liner is just a major plus IMO, because it's antimicrobial, can be donned without lube, and and is just all around better.

#4. I have not had a single 2 piece freedive suit that hasn't torn or shredded prematurely in some way. When you have to start repairing the damn things, it's like patching up a leaky boat. Probably not worth it by then.

#5. Metallic lining is absolutely to be preferred, but it is still often too delicate, and no one uses it anymore, hardly. Like, I really liked my Spetton 3.5 mil before it began tearing . . . but it began tearing literally a month into having it. Granted I'm built pretty stocky, so some more slender guys can probably avoid some of this.

Bodyglove had some sweet freedive suits that are out of production now. When I get a new suit, it will either be custom, or one of these models of the somewhat newer one. Granted you cannot beat the price for the features:

https://www.onlinescuba.com/Body-Glo...hoCTGUQAvD_BwE