Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #16
Sanny

Re: Wetsuit question

rnln,
Go with the highest quality Yamamoto grade (the stretchiest for spearfishing suits- eg.#39) you can afford. Don't sacrifice your peak inhale for a "coat of armor mentality". My opinion: go to Yazbeck, become a Pro Member, get an awesome new suit for half price, go dive! I've had three Yazbeck suits, two with the lining and one without (I also have a custom with a lower "more durable" grade Yamamoto and it is stiffer than the Y39). The Yazbeck without the lining is stretchier but their lined suits are a dream to get on and off, plus other benefits. You shouldn't be laying on/ rubbing over reef or rocks anyways- put's a lot of fish on "high alert".
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #17
mactrac

FYI Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro just started selling their own 2 piece 5mm Yamamoto #39 camo suits for $229. I picked one up and I am very happy with the quality.

Being able to try the suit on in the store is great so you know you are getting the right size.
mactrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #18
growingupninja
Lance

OP: you probably would hardly notice the difference until you have been diving for many hundreds (or thousands) of hours in various wetsuits but Y45 is very low density. This means it feels very plush and stretchy when new--and is marginally warmer at the surface--but at depth it compresses readily. So, at depth it is less warm. For competitive freediving Y45 is very popular for comfort but also its compressibility means you can hit freefall faster and more abruptly, which can be very nice for competition when really you are doing just a few drops in a day but not so much if you are grinding deep cold reefs for fish all day.

The other common rubbers in spearing suits are usually a bit denser and tougher, less stretchy.

If you a newer diver doing a lot of shorediving you should go for cheap and durable, but you will more or less get what you pay for... a $250 5mm bargain brand suit will rarely be as warm $500 suit, also 5mm from a more upscale brand. Is the $500 suit twice as warm? Nope.

As others have stated, a perfectly fitted cheap suit is warmer and better to dive in than a $700 Oceaner or Elios of the same thickness which is a poor fit for you.

If you are looking at an off the rack suit that runs more than $500 you probably should spend your dollar on a custom suit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #19
dctrjayyy

Well. I donated one of those suits to the LBN auction last year. IMO, pretty cheap suit and not something I'd pay what your link says. They can be had for much less on sale. I think the buyer got the whole suit for less than $100 at the auction.
Go to Spear America and talk to the guys about suits. Tell them what you want to spend and they will get you to the right suit for your needs and budget.
Or if you just want a bargain, go to the LBN or Fathomier Auctions and you'll score one for cheap. LBN auction is in April.
And if you are in CA, I use a 3mm for maybe a few months out of the year. 5mm is way more versatile.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #20
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
OP: you probably would hardly notice the difference until you have been diving for many hundreds (or thousands) of hours in various wetsuits but Y45 is very low density. This means it feels very plush and stretchy when new--and is marginally warmer at the surface--but at depth it compresses readily. So, at depth it is less warm. For competitive freediving Y45 is very popular for comfort but also its compressibility means you can hit freefall faster and more abruptly, which can be very nice for competition when really you are doing just a few drops in a day but not so much if you are grinding deep cold reefs for fish all day.

The other common rubbers in spearing suits are usually a bit denser and tougher, less stretchy.

If you a newer diver doing a lot of shorediving you should go for cheap and durable, but you will more or less get what you pay for... a $250 5mm bargain brand suit will rarely be as warm $500 suit, also 5mm from a more upscale brand. Is the $500 suit twice as warm? Nope.

As others have stated, a perfectly fitted cheap suit is warmer and better to dive in than a $700 Oceaner or Elios of the same thickness which is a poor fit for you.

If you are looking at an off the rack suit that runs more than $500 you probably should spend your dollar on a custom suit.

Do you have any data to validate your comments about y45 being more compressible at depth? I believe I have seen data from the company which indicates the complete opposite with respect to some of the comments you’ve made about the performance of the Yamamoto materials, in relation to each other. My understanding is y45 is less compressible at depth??

I was given the spec sheet by a Yamamoto rep at the dema show and I was under the same impression as you. The rep indicated the y45 was very popular with deep freedivers because it compressed less and thus had less buoyancy swing.

Last edited by jfjf; 02-27-2019 at 03:03 PM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Do you have any data to validate your comments about y45 being more compressible at depth? I believe I have seen data from the company which indicates the complete opposite with respect to some of the comments you’ve made about the performance of the Yamamoto materials, in relation to each other. My understanding is y45 is less compressible at depth??
Sort of.

I remember when Y45 was new, and I remember those same claims, although I think the actual claim was that Y45 was suppossed to resist _permanent_ compression. In practice, my custom Comp45 Oceaner compressed and stiffened over time same as all my other suits.

For the last 4 or 5 years I have been mostly wearing medium density neoprenes (Hewai and NJN). These are denser than Y45 and many other typical high end freedive neoprenes. In Turkey this last season I got a 2mm custom BestDive open cell smoothskin Y45 from a friend. I had been training in a 2mm medium density Hewai and had my weights and bouyancy dialed in practically to tenth of a Kg. Granted the 2mm Y45 was new, but once I crossed neutral bouyancy my rate of freefall was slightly faster. This would probaby not be noticeable to ANY divers outside of a very controlled environment... I was on a line and wearing one of my own dive computers so I could get perfect rate of descent data which I wanted for dive planning.

Anecodtally, training on a line in 5mm suits (most of what I do since that is default in socal), I do notice a slight difference in bouyancy profile between medium density that I now wear and other more common freediving neoprenes.

For reference, medium density freedive neoprene is still significantly softer than any scuba or surf suit.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #22
jersymudsniper

Mares dont hold up. Arnt warm and kinda crappy imo.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #23
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Sort of.

I remember when Y45 was new, and I remember those same claims, although I think the actual claim was that Y45 was suppossed to resist _permanent_ compression. In practice, my custom Comp45 Oceaner compressed and stiffened over time same as all my other suits.

For the last 4 or 5 years I have been mostly wearing medium density neoprenes (Hewai and NJN). These are denser than Y45 and many other typical high end freedive neoprenes. In Turkey this last season I got a 2mm custom BestDive open cell smoothskin Y45 from a friend. I had been training in a 2mm medium density Hewai and had my weights and bouyancy dialed in practically to tenth of a Kg. Granted the 2mm Y45 was new, but once I crossed neutral bouyancy my rate of freefall was slightly faster. This would probaby not be noticeable to ANY divers outside of a very controlled environment... I was on a line and wearing one of my own dive computers so I could get perfect rate of descent data which I wanted for dive planning.

Anecodtally, training on a line in 5mm suits (most of what I do since that is default in socal), I do notice a slight difference in bouyancy profile between medium density that I now wear and other more common freediving neoprenes.

For reference, medium density freedive neoprene is still significantly softer than any scuba or surf suit.

Found a data sheet.. note that the Y-45 is a lot denser than some of the other materials and it does not compress as much.

I think this pertains to our discussion

http://d-ditaly.com/wp-content/uploa...A-YAMAMOTO.pdf
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #24
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Found a data sheet.. note that the Y-45 is a lot denser than some of the other materials and it does not compress as much.

I think this pertains to our discussion

http://d-ditaly.com/wp-content/uploa...A-YAMAMOTO.pdf
Thanks for digging that up. The medium density suits I have been wearing are likely comparable to the Y50 so the Y45 I got last year seems to have more compressibility.

I felt like my Y45 Oceaner compressed more than my previous spearing suits but it could well have been the previous suits were just pretty well pancaked from age and pressure, so in comparison the new Y45 had a lot more give.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #25
Ron S

As to the original question, I purchased the Mares Instinct 5.5mm high waist, (as opposed to farmer john), pants and 7mm top a few years ago from the Freedive Shop in West Sacramento. I chose this set because I could purchase the two pieces separately. I wear a 5 bottom and 4 top. I don't dive a lot, but when I do it's shore diving in NorCal, which can be kinda tough on suits.

Unlike others, I've found the Instinct suit to be very durable and well made. In fact, I ordered another identical suit for my son, who's even harder on his gear than I am and his is holding up just fine after two seasons.

Not trying to sell you on anything, just relaying my experience.

Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #26
Marco

The softer the neoprene, the more compressible it is. Y45 is very warm, comfortable and stretchy, but compresses more than a stiffer one. It is all about compromises. You choose what you want.

Question for Dano: When will you have a red color wetsuit? That's the color I like most because it is very visible in the surface (by boats, mates, etc) but disappears at depth.

Thanks!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #27
rnln

Finally, I made a call to Mako. Josh at Mako took his time to find me a pair of black pants which fit me, and with a very good deal.
Thanks Josh - Mako
Thanks everyone.

Note, the Y45 is very soft and stretchy. It is felt just like my Epsealon Shadow.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #28
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Thanks for your support, I will let Josh know.

Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #29
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
The softer the neoprene, the more compressible it is. Y45 is very warm, comfortable and stretchy, but compresses more than a stiffer one. It is all about compromises. You choose what you want.

Question for Dano: When will you have a red color wetsuit? That's the color I like most because it is very visible in the surface (by boats, mates, etc) but disappears at depth.

Thanks!
Hey Marco:

Thanks for the suggestion, sorry I missed it earlier.

I will be talking with my wetsuit suppliers about additional colors. Are you thinking a camo red or just a uniform color.

Thanks

Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #30
Marco

Red camo would be cool.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote