Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
skinneej

Polespear Recommendation???

I normally shoot a gun, but I'm going to the Abacos this summer with some friends and I want the right gear. I'm horrible with a pole spear (only used them like once or twice) and they were the cheap ones ($35) that you would buy in a wal-mart or divers direct. I'm a mediocre freediver at this point (I mostly scuba), so my range is probably 40' deep or so.

That being said, does anyone have an recommendations for a good pole spear to match my skillset? I will be flying commercially so probably need something that I can take apart. I do have a sport tube, so I could get pole lengths upwards of 6 feet or so.

Anyone have an suggestions?

PS: Yes, I did use the search feature, but a lot of the posts are several years old so looking for the most current information.

Last edited by skinneej; 05-25-2017 at 09:36 AM.
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
CatDiver

Re: Polespear Recommendation???

I'm like you and doing the same thing. Bought a Mako travel polespear that comes apart and goes into a tube. I'm sure there are countless better ones out there but it seems solidly constructed. I've taken it instead of my gun scuba diving and killed fish. I would recommend getting a slip tip to go with it. Makes a huge difference.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Polespearo
Waterman

I am not familiar with your area but in general: Get a Crist and it will outlive you, heavy hitter not so fast indestructible. Get a Riffe and its fas and light but fragile. maybe get two just in case something happens to a section with a fish trying to get into a cave. get a gate and find the best balance between the previous two. get Two makos for the price of any other one and get your money back on fish any time with a good polestar. Those are the ones i have had. Now i would love to get my hands on a headhunter or a billfish republic polestars but i would say that mostly is about the indian not the arrow.

Take the time to understand the best way t o attach a flatline (even without float) so that you never have to choose between your gear or getting safely to the surface
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
Triton

The most versatile spears for bahamas seem to be the headhunter or gatku, for a heavier hitting spear the bermudian and the neritics do great.
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
Alec

The headhunter is very fast and accurate, gat-ku with the HH tip is a solid setup. The neritic is good if you want to break it down into smaller pieces or shoot big fish in holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	233606  
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
skinneej

Thanks for the recommendations! I ended up going with a couple of the Gatkus and a Mako, and just picked up a couple different tip options for each.
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #7
Trautfel

Im also looking for a polespear....In my case just want to buy one ...a good allrounder that I can pack in a suitcase and take traveling. Different tip option are important.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Trautfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trautfel View Post
Im also looking for a polespear....In my case just want to buy one ...a good allrounder that I can pack in a suitcase and take traveling. Different tip option are important.

Take a look at my new Carbon Fiber Pole Spear. It has been designed for travel, it can be assembled in several different configurations (lengths and tips) and it performs very well.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=194321

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
Trautfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO Spearguns View Post
Take a look at my new Carbon Fiber Pole Spear. It has been designed for travel, it can be assembled in several different configurations (lengths and tips) and it performs very well.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=194321
Whats the length of the largest section? Or the length packed? Ideally it shouldnt be more than 25 to 30 inches for air travel/ checked luggage. My fins are 35 inches but I take them as carry ons.

I've had a moded jbl travel polespear for a couple of years but I wanted to find out if there is something better in the marked to replace it.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

The 10 Foot (4 in 1) MAKO Carbon Elite Traveler Pole Spear includes the following:

Front section: 42 inches
2nd Section: 42.5 inches
3rd Section: 25 inches

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
kwyoungspear

Headhunter, Nertic, or bill fish republic
Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #12
Trautfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO Spearguns View Post
The 10 Foot (4 in 1) MAKO Carbon Elite Traveler Pole Spear includes the following:

Front section: 42 inches
2nd Section: 42.5 inches
3rd Section: 25 inches
Thank you!

Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
Blue2u

I have one of the yellow poles but after searching some of the ones mentioned here I may be getting a new one soon
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

We have several options for pole spears. We now own and operate Seastinger so we have an entire line of spears from 81" 2 piece spears all the way down to a 3 piece travel spear.
Headhunter has also released the NOMAD which is a 3 piece breakdown spear its either 8 foot or 9 foot. We crossed the PILEDRIVER pole spear and the PREDATOR pole spear to make a spear that is not only fast but hits really hard and is very very strong. check it out at www.headhunterspearfishing.com or just clink the link below

https://www.headhunterspearfishing.c...products/nomad
1140 Ne 7th ave Unit 6
Fort Lauderdale FL 33304
954-745-0747
HH PRODUCTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

+1 on the Neritic pole spear. We've had excellent feedback from customers; Its versatility and strength being major selling features.

Every part and piece of the Polespear is completely interchangeable. This allows our standard package to be assembled as a 4-foot, 5-foot, 7-foot, 8-foot, or 10-foot pole spear.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote