Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

View Poll Results: What do you do before freediving?
I drink caffeine and think it helps me. 15 39.47%
I drink caffeine and think it makes me worse. 8 21.05%
I don't drink caffeine and I haven't tried. 6 15.79%
I don't drink caffeine because I tried and it made me worse. 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
rysgates

Question Caffeine

Alright, so to start off, I have been on the no caffeine while diving train since day one. It makes sense to me; why would I want an accelerant in my system while I'm freediving. As I have thought about this more, however, and done a bit of reading about the subject I am beginning to think that for the purposes of most of us spearfishing while diving 30m or less a small to moderate dose of caffeine (3-6 mg/kgBM) which for me would be one or two cups of coffee would do us more good than harm. Here's my reasoning... while caffeine is an accelerant, in a small dose it could be argued that the raised heart rate is negligibly small, while the energy boost could help us while swimming, help us to focus and help us to stay relaxed (especially if you are used to drinking coffee). Also it is a vasoconstrictor and resultantly raises blood pressure. These are two effects of the MDR as well, so I would be curious as to what your thoughts are on that. Also I was previously under a misconception that coffee was dehydrating me, but it really isn't in a low dose. Because it is a diuretic it could cause dehydration in heavier doses, however once again I'm talking about one or two cups of coffee. I would say based on my new train of thought the biggest disadvantage is that it will increase stomach and blood acidity. This has me steered down the path of supplementing with an anti-acid and or focusing on a more alkaline diet if at all possible. Alkaline diets are popular amongst more serious freedivers and athletes, so I would be interested in any thoughts you may have about supplementing. I am going to try incorporating a little caffeine into a few upcoming dives and comparing that to days without caffeine to come up with my own consensus, but I'm curious what you guys have to say about your experience.
Merry Christmas!
Ryan
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
NaClAddict

Re: Caffeine

I drink caffeine and think it affects my breath hold negatively. I drink it because I like caffeine. I am an addict. It gets me up, going, and shakes the poops out. Also a little monster towards the end of the day gives me energy, like on a paddy hop trip. If I only have my regular morning cup (16 oz) I don’t notice much of a negative effect. I think I have built up a tolerance. Besides 2:30 breath holds are overrated. Monster energy drinks decimate my breath hold. It’s also important to hydrate in conjunction with caffeine. I use coconut water, it’s amazing.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

I did quite a bit of freediving training ( completed AIDA 4*) in Indonesia and always had a cup in the morning unless we were going for PB depth or PB breath hold. As long as you are able to relax and not feel Jittery, I thing the negative effects to your bottom time or depth are negligible.

Diving on a completely empty (of food) stomach is way more important for your diving performance than a little caffeine.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
riff
><>

good points - I think whatever will least upset your stomach.. i personally need coffee to be able to think.

However, i remember when i used to double down on dramamine. I could essentially fall asleep at the bottom of the ocean in complete bliss.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #5
Bob Ballew

...5th rating: I drink 4 to 5 cups a day on average....then, cut back to not drinking it before diving, as it can increase your heart rate, make you jittery and cause some stomach issues. I also switch to eating only soft foods that will compress in my stomach when diving...
...Coffee tends to cause me to crash if I eat my regular breakfast of cereal, fruits and nuts....it affects different people in different ways, depending on age and number of cups consumed daily.... so, some experimentation is in order to check your levels of tolerance...on the positive side, it makes a good laxative and the smell (of coffee) always boosts my mood....My Alaska halibut logo coffee cup goes wherever I go!....
...The secret to good coffee is fresh roasted, grind your own, beans and filtered water...Tap water changes the taste....once ground, coffee loses 25 percent of it's flavor within 2 weeks, so, I only grind up small batches at a time....My coffee roaster guy, (Polly's Gourmet Coffee shop on 2nd street in Long Beach), says Costa Rican coffee is the best tasting, unless you believe the $15 dollars- a- cup Yeman coffee, is better.....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 12-24-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
Marco

Well, we're not freedivers but spearfishermen.

Caffeine will of course increase your heart rate, but if you are used to have a coffe in the morning, you will not feel good if you don't drink it.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Postmortem
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosstnfound View Post
Diving on a completely empty (of food) stomach is way more important for your diving performance than a little caffeine.
Idk how you guys can do that. I have to constantly eat throughout the day or I feel like garbage.
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Marco

I also eat apples or cereal bars throughout the day in order to keep the energy levels up. Also drink lots of water and occasionaly gatorade.

BTW, best coffee is Italian. Even if they don't grow coffee in Italy.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
Red Tide

I drink a big cup of Cuban Coffee every morning including dive days. I also take a Claritin D 24 on dive days with the coffee. I have no problems with this concoction and it has served me well.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #10
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmortem View Post
Idk how you guys can do that. I have to constantly eat throughout the day or I feel like garbage.
For spearing and at least a couple hours before diving , I eat fairly large complex carb breakfast (oatmeal) and delay lunch for as long as I can. The complex carbs keep me going and before lunch, I often add fruit juices or smoothies which are are a great energy source and are not digestion intensive. After lunch my bottom time stinks for the next couple hours. I am religious about keeping hydrated.

Marco, one more vote for Italian coffee. Truly the best.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
growingupninja
Lance

I drink almost half a pot every morning, and in the winter I bring a thermos of coffee with butter and musclemilk on the boat with me, and I eat some sort of bacon and eggs heart attack in morning...

Before a competition or big deal dive I wean off the coffee at least a couple weeks out, and in warmer waters eat about half as many calories in general but before big dives I do eat something about three hours out.

Coffee, like tea and chocolate, interferes with iron absorption, a consideration if you are training heavily. If you are a regular drinker and aren't drinking enough to make you jittery it will have very little to no effect on spearing type dives in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
rob102

If I drink coffee I want to eat breakfast, so I always skip it before I dive.
rob102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmortem View Post
I don't eat at all before or during dives except for two cups of coffee and later, a bottle of water each time I return to the boat. I also eat light when I return and sleep like a newborn. There is an added benefit of losing up to 4 lbs in a day.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
riff
><>

Id like to update my post to mention that I do not drink any coffee or any caffeine before a dive; especially if its before noon

I noticed that anything to accelerate my heart rate really hurts my bottom time.
I'm also more prone to getting sea sick if Im more alert
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
North Star
Max

I have learned to skip the coffee and load up on electrolyte drinks before I dive. Helps with energy and hydration and reduces cramps.