Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: What kind of line do you use?
Monofilament 73 61.86%
Spectra 16 13.56%
Dyneema 18 15.25%
Kevlar 4 3.39%
Other 12 10.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #46
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Best Spearfishing Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
cant hurt to try some qline....it aint that bad actually.
Im actually out of the q line and probably wont buy it again, it was 'spensive. I have my reels spooled with it, but i dont want to sacrifice 20+ feet of it to make my shooting line. I have other good reel line that i will make as shooting line and do the Rob Allen slip knot to remove fish from the line easier.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #47
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

be advised ghost rider that without a swivel your shooting line will tend to twist more than usual....thats another reason I like using good snap swivels
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #48
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Yeah, it will, and i def have considered that. May a nice small bb swivel might work instead. Well see.

I (like freedivingfool) stone ALL my fish, every time, all the time, without exception. So the only twisting itll do, is the back roll they do after being stoned. I can live with that
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #49
growingupninja
Lance

Lot of good info...

As far as a slim, fast shooting line, I had good results with a micro coated cable that I bought at a regular fishing store. I am sorry I don't have a brand or anything but it is closer to slim electrical wire than regular coated cable; diameter is less than 200# mono. Got it because I use a little dinky euro pipe 50cm a lot for hole hunting and got frustrated with not quite reaching the occasional calico (these fish are wary, keep their distance, almost never over 7 lbs, and very fast).

The wire was NOT super strong. I tested it with crimps and 6" drop of a 35lbs weight usually broke it but range improved on the gun noticeably. I was okay with the compromise because a truly big fish in a hole I am gonna shoot nearly point blank and pull out of the hole on the same breath, usually using the spear as opposed to line. It just gave me some new options on a dinky gun...

Better option would be to improve the gun but this was cheap.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #50
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Zing it arborist line for me (1.8mm). I can't stand the Q-Power line at all, kinks and twists something horrible. I like not having to carry pliers, crimps, etc out on the boat or worse, flying with all that crap. It shoots fractionally slower than mono, but the positives outweigh that and I don't feel that it has cost me a fish. For mono I like 150-200# anything over that is overkill for most fish...and if it's not, you probably shouldn't be shooting mono!
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #51
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Ulusub does have a news Speargun Reel line which we developed specifically for our reels.

It's 2.35mm diameter which is nice for a Reel line because it's thick enough to grab onto. We spent a lot of time working on the construction to get a line that is Dyneema, 750lb Breaking Strength, Bright Yellow, and is also very tangle resistant due to the stiffness of the inner core. We are putting together some spools to fit our 60yd and 90yd Reels which we will sell. Right now we just have some giant Rolls of this line which is going out on all of our gun reels. It's great stuff, probably too thick for Shooting line, but perfect for Reels and big fish.
Hi Jon, I had sent you a PM about a month or so ago, regarding this line. I have two of the 90 yard reels to fill. Is this now available?

Also, when can I get the slip tips?

Feel free to PM me back or reply here.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #52
Spear_Row

Anyone use the new neptonics line?
Spear_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #53
spearo #uno
Senior user

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhunter11 View Post
You don't always have to stone em just get a good downward angle shot! You will like Freeshafting, it's a different way to challenge yourself!
It all depends on your hunting location. At 70.00 + dollars per shaft...I don't think so. I don't mind surfacing with an empty wire or even an empty 80 but I sure like to come up with all my tools.
spearo #uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #54
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear_Row View Post
Anyone use the new neptonics line?
its great line for the money. stiff enough to keep under control and simple enough to splice into itself easily

My personal favorite shooting line is salvimar 1.9mm clynema. its a spectra line with a woven sock cover for extra abrasion resistance. Very good stuff, Ive shot several cobia that were wrapped in the oil rigs and the line is still in great shape. the only drawback is this line is just shy of $1/foot. benthicoceansports.com carries it

Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #55
quatin

Is there a type of sinking line? Mono just floats around and is a real mess to reload with under water.
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #56
Behslayer

sinking line = spiderweb of death
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #57
quatin

Maybe it's my speargun (mares phantom), but even after a year of using it, I still can't restring the damn thing underwater.

I started off with dacron, but it frayed too easy. I swapped to 100lb mono after. I can do it just fine on land, but once it hits the water it's a 50/50 chance of wrapping the line the wrong way around the gun. Doesn't help that mono is more translucent underwater and floats above the gun in a tangled mess. I even let it sit taught for 3 months to build some memory.
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #58
Spear_Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo1597 View Post
its great line for the money. stiff enough to keep under control and simple enough to splice into itself easily

My personal favorite shooting line is salvimar 1.9mm clynema. its a spectra line with a woven sock cover for extra abrasion resistance. Very good stuff, Ive shot several cobia that were wrapped in the oil rigs and the line is still in great shape. the only drawback is this line is just shy of $1/foot. benthicoceansports.com carries it

Thanks, kylo! I heard some people were rigging with spectra something for doggies...that it held up better than cable without the hassle.
What do use for them yellowfin tuna?
Spear_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #59
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear_Row View Post
Thanks, kylo! I heard some people were rigging with spectra something for doggies...that it held up better than cable without the hassle.
What do use for them yellowfin tuna?
Spectra has come a long way in the last few years. I used to use cable exclusively but it gets kinked and causes problems. Earlier this spring I was trying to pull a fish out of the rigs and the kinked cable wrapped itself around my wrist and dive watch and locked on. Luckily after a few yanks it magically came loose but if it hadnt, I doubt my knife would have been able to cut it. Since then I went to spectra on everything. It can take a beating and is much easier to tie on new line than re-crimp cable.

I believe that salvimar line has landed yellowfin up to 250lbs so far. I have used it and the neptonics line with no problems on fish to 100lbs. The salvimar is slightly thinner and I really like the outer jacket to extend the life of the line before fraying. Its all about personal preference.

Salvimar you'll tie knots which will weaken it to some degree and its not as streamlined. Neptonics is pretty easy to splice back into itself for full strength and its streamlined. Not sure if strength really matters when these lines are rated at 830 and 1000lbs.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #60
parker

Do any of you have experience with Beuchat Premium Spectra Line?

Last edited by parker; 11-12-2014 at 08:37 AM.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote