Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
PacificsEdge

Building a Cleaning Table

I just found a 3/4 thick like new piece of plywood outside of my complex and I'd like to build a cleaning table on my apt porch.

I'm on the 2nd floor and the idea is to have a hose hooked up underneath to a tabletop sink where the nastiness drains out into the side drain on the wall and into the flower beds below the apt complex. I just hope that won't stink up the building.

If not, then a trashcan chute might just do the job. I plan to take home smaller fish like calico bass and lobster at first and then move into WSB.

Please share any info and ideas that might make this a good table. Is there a standard size? Where can I buy mini-sinks?

What about starboard?

Thanks for looking

Edit:

This might work, except I'd put slats down on the bottom instead of ply.

Last edited by PacificsEdge; 09-29-2013 at 01:47 AM.
PacificsEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
jstiver09

Re: Building a Cleaning Table

I would not have it drain into your apartment flower bed, it will no doubt smell the place up and piss everybody off. You should bag them up airtight and throw everything in the dumpster. A 5 gallon bucket underneath the sink drain will usually do the trick to catch everything. Starboard is more expensive but definitely better for cleaning and longevity.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
PacificsEdge

I checked the prices on the starboard nad its much more than I want to pay for. I might just use a butchers block table top for now and cut a hole in it for the guts to go down into a bucket lined with trash can bags. then dump the bags into the dumpster outside.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
MelbourneMark

I bought a cutting board at sams club for about 10bucks recently. I think it was 2ftX1.5ft or so, but if you put 2 together it will handle most fish. Its thin, but if you screw it to the wood it will do the job.
MelbourneMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Check with local restaurant supply places for plastic cutting boards of various sizes and colors. You could design the size of the table around what you have available, or cut the boards into tiles. If you're clever with the design, you can replace the boards when they get too gnarly.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Search for some UHMW Plastic, That will make a nice cutting board. Not sure of cost, but you might find a deal out there on Ebay or somewhere. A local Tap Plastic trip might help too, they have other materials to pick from. Restaurant Supply store might get a better price. Table looks good.

A plumbing addition to give you a hose bib and spray nozzle might be handy, some faucets allow for this. My buddy has one on the sink in his butcher room. We used a laundry faucet. A couple vertical slots to stow knifes might be handy too. A small splash guard all the way around to funnel water into sink vs over the edges, a rise of 1/4 - 1/2" over table top surface.

Anyhow some ideas to think about.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
kwtony
Snorkel Master

It's not a cleaning table, although it could be. Had an extra palet laying around and I made this table out of it in about 20 minuets.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
laguna80
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
It's not a cleaning table, although it could be. Had an extra palet laying around and I made this table out of it in about 20 minuets.
Do you remember what 2 letters were on the pallet. The HT ones are heated treated and are alright to use, the other kind are chemically treated, not so good. Still looks like a great table. I'll build one of those myself once I'm finally settled.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I really don't know. Honestly if it lasts a year, that'll be twice as long as I expected, since I've had the pallet for two years so far, I'm pretty sure it'll hold up. I used this cause it was the only one I had at the moment. There are a gazillion of them our the keys and I can get about a hundred more if I wanted. I'm going to enclose it, add power, shelves and a lock, it'll be good to go.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
PacificsEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Search for some UHMW Plastic, That will make a nice cutting board. Not sure of cost, but you might find a deal out there on Ebay or somewhere. A local Tap Plastic trip might help too, they have other materials to pick from. Restaurant Supply store might get a better price. Table looks good.

A plumbing addition to give you a hose bib and spray nozzle might be handy, some faucets allow for this. My buddy has one on the sink in his butcher room. We used a laundry faucet. A couple vertical slots to stow knifes might be handy too. A small splash guard all the way around to funnel water into sink vs over the edges, a rise of 1/4 - 1/2" over table top surface.

Anyhow some ideas to think about.
What about a butcher block? You can find these ikea tables on CL for $40 bucks. A few mods here and there and this would be a nice table.

The crate is a good cheap idea but I cant see myself putting that out on my patio.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
malibujohn

I made a table for a chef buddy of mine and a cutting board to go with it. Routed a nice deep channel around the perimeter and mounted a Tupperware trash can (bathroom type) in some wood slides. the lip of the container fits perfectly. He uses it to cut up whole pigs and salmon. Everything drains to the tub and you just drop your cuttings in the hole!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cutting board 017.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	197148Click image for larger version

Name:	cutting board 025.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	197149Click image for larger version

Name:	cutting board 024.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	197150Click image for larger version

Name:	cutting board 023.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	197151
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
kwtony
Snorkel Master

After posting my photo on FB my father replied that my grandfather and Uncle built their Summer Camp Cottage out of pallets and shipping containers from the Beech Nut Gum factory. It's still standing!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
I made a table for a chef buddy of mine and a cutting board to go with it. Routed a nice deep channel around the perimeter and mounted a Tupperware trash can (bathroom type) in some wood slides. the lip of the container fits perfectly. He uses it to cut up whole pigs and salmon. Everything drains to the tub and you just drop your cuttings in the hole!

Attachment 197148Attachment 197149Attachment 197150Attachment 197151
Malibujohn, That is a sharp looking table. I like the recessed drain groove and the gut hole. Pretty slick.....
Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Malibujohn, That is a sharp looking table. I like the recessed drain groove and the gut hole. Pretty slick.....
It sure is, nice fit and finish on that table

Jeremy
Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
mjmoore83

PacificsEdge is your apartment on the water? Why are you taking your fish home with you to make a mess. Cant you clean your fish near/where you shot/caught them? I am not familiar where you live but everyplace I have fished out of here on the east coast has access to a cleaning table; most with running water. In the fla keys most of the houses are on a canal system so your cleaning table is in your back yard next to your boat so there is a purpose to having a table at home. In 12 years I have never brought a whole fish home that was not already dressed and ready to cook. Why make the mess at home?

malibujohn that is a very nice table

Dont come in untill you run out of ice or the fishbox is full
mjmoore83 is offline   Reply With Quote