Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Bulit7

How deep on air?

OK, for you deep divers on here. My setup is almost complete.

LP120 cranked to 3600psi
30cf pony

What is the deepest you guys go around here with this kind of setup.

I will be getting a couple of 30s for 80% scrubbing.

I'm thinking 200-220 feet os so.

What is the best way to build up to those depths since most dives are solo.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
bake
Beginner Freediver...

Re: How deep on air?

I'm not a diver, but I thought solo was a no go....
bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

pm sent
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Re: How deep on air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
OK, for you deep divers on here. My setup is almost complete.

LP120 cranked to 3600psi
30cf pony

What is the deepest you guys go around here with this kind of setup.

I will be getting a couple of 30s for 80% scrubbing.

I'm thinking 200-220 feet os so.

What is the best way to build up to those depths since most dives are solo.
Lee, did you get the decompression procedures and other tech training? If not, you should do that first before deciding what to do on air with deco bottles. Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

200'with 2 of the guys here.
180' with a couple more.
155' with a few.
168' with my wife taking pix.

The point is to be able to function safely and within your abilities.Some conditions severely exacerbate narcosis such as current increasing work and CO2 load,constriction due to wetsuits in the cold water,dark conditions etc....

Helium is definitely better past 200' but there are a couple guys here who have been WAY past 200' spearfishing on air commercially and recreationally.Training is nice but quite a few folk with a lovely collection of cards are inept even after the best training while others take to it like a duck to water.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
I'm not a diver, but I thought solo was a no go....
We dive to spearfish. It is counterproductive to go down in pairs. Scares the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagodiver View Post
pm sent
Thanks Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Lee, did you get the decompression procedures and other tech training? If not, you should do that first before deciding what to do on air with deco bottles. Tony
No training what so ever. Just a LOT of reading and a slow progression into deeper and deeper dives. My max right now is 165 or so but I don't have too many under my belt. My gear was not complete and I was not comfortable hitting those depths. Now with good gear at hand, I think I'm ready to start hitting the deeper wrecks here in Palm Beach and Broward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
200'with 2 of the guys here.
180' with a couple more.
155' with a few.
168' with my wife taking pix.

The point is to be able to function safely and within your abilities.Some conditions severely exacerbate narcosis such as current increasing work and CO2 load,constriction due to wetsuits in the cold water,dark conditions etc....

Helium is definitely better past 200' but there are a couple guys here who have been WAY past 200' spearfishing on air commercially and recreationally.Training is nice but quite a few folk with a lovely collection of cards are inept even after the best training while others take to it like a duck to water.
Yep. I have no cards. I am open water only. I self taught myself Nitrox thru books and diving with people who wanted me to use Nitrox so we could dive together. I am very cautious and calm in the water. I am very comfortable as well.

Thanks guys.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
Yep. I have no cards. I am open water only. I self taught myself Nitrox thru books and diving with people who wanted me to use Nitrox so we could dive together. I am very cautious and calm in the water. I am very comfortable as well.
Thanks guys.
Ok,

What is your lost gass bailout strategy? What is the END that you plan on maintaining at your max depth? What is your planned and contingency bottom times and depths? How do you plan on monitoring your CNS and your OTU's for this dive? Why are you using 80% instead of 100% o2? Do you know the difference in microbubble formation and nitrogen intake vs pure Oxygen to choose 80% as opposed to 100% o2?

Any macho wannabe idiot can grab a tank and breathe from it, it's knowing what to do when the crap hits the fan that separates calm well trained divers from Macho wannabees who are trying to compensate for their shortcomings.

Based on your self description of diving and unwillingness to take a class because you're too cheap, I would safely say that the max depth you should go to is about 12 to 15 feet!

Have a Macho day... Vroom Vroom....

Mike Edmonston
Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
NAUI Technical Instructor
Technical Scuba Training Center, FL.
www.floridatechdive.com
***Ask me about Great Deals on Dive Gear and Classes for Spearboard Forum members ***
Mike Edmonston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Edmonston View Post
Ok,

What is your lost gass bailout strategy? What is the END that you plan on maintaining at your max depth? What is your planned and contingency bottom times and depths? How do you plan on monitoring your CNS and your OTU's for this dive? Why are you using 80% instead of 100% o2? Do you know the difference in microbubble formation and nitrogen intake vs pure Oxygen to choose 80% as opposed to 100% o2?

Any macho wannabe idiot can grab a tank and breathe from it, it's knowing what to do when the crap hits the fan that separates calm well trained divers from Macho wannabees who are trying to compensate for their shortcomings.

Based on your self description of diving and unwillingness to take a class because you're too cheap, I would safely say that the max depth you should go to is about 12 to 15 feet!

Have a Macho day... Vroom Vroom....
You could have spent the same energy giving constructive advice. Or do you just not like motorcycles?
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Just look at his avatar,in a pool with doubles.Go Figure.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank49 View Post
You could have spent the same energy giving constructive advice. Or do you just not like motorcycles?
I do like Bikes

But it's obvious from his post that he has decided that the rules don't apply to him, and that he can teach himself just fine.

There's a saying in the tech community.. "You don't know what you don't know"

If this guy would have learned the basic math in a NITROX class, then he could figure out the MOD of air on his own!

See my point?

That's why I answered the way I did. Besides, my answer was right in line with information he should know to do these kind of dives.

Besides, I'm not about to give this guy the information that he needs to go kill himself.

Mike Edmonston
www.floridatechdive.com
***Ask me about Great Deals on Dive Gear and Classes for Spearboard Forum members ***
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Just look at his avatar,in a pool with doubles.Go Figure.

Actually, I'm in the springs with doubles, 1 stage and 1 o2 bottle. We were setting up to do a 2 hour cave dive.

You're a dumbass, go figure!

Mike Edmonston
www.floridatechdive.com
Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Hank49

Quote:
I do like Bikes

But it's obvious from his post that he has decided that the rules don't apply to him, and that he can teach himself just fine.

Besides, I'm not about to give this guy the information that he needs to go kill himself.
Well, I would guess he's going to try it regardless of what anyone tells him. You're right about the danger, so the more good advice, the better I figure.
If that's him on that bike, he can ride the shit out of one. I would guess he could take the stress of problems underwater.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Quote:
Actually, I'm in the springs with doubles, 1 stage and 1 o2 bottle. We were setting up to do a 2 hour cave dive.

You're a dumbass, go figure!
You call it a spring he calls it a pool, same thing.

Dago.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagodiver View Post
You call it a spring he calls it a pool, same thing.

Dago.
I just spit coke on my monitor, and you owe me a keyboard!

Mike Edmonston
www.floridatechdive.com
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #15
FredT

LOTS of variables on deep air.
Step one is to find out what YOUR CNS trigger symptom is and be able to identify it early enough to turn the dive safely. YOUR symptom will be different than mine, and mine is different from anybody else I've ever gone deep with. One girl I dove with in The Tongue tasted cinnamon rolls as her warning sign, so be aware that it can be ANYTHING. The dive turns at the FIRST hint of the symptom! this symptom will be consistent for YOU, but the depth it strikes will vary with a host of variables from how hydrated you are that day to how much sleep you got LAST weekend!

Most will not do enough deep bounces in a lifetime to determine what their symptom is, as it may take a hundred or more dives in benign conditions to sort it out. Hunting in any form is NOT benign conditions! The He mix divers avoid the problem by changing the diluent gas.

Oxtox is another problem not related to the CNS issues, with it's own set of variables and rules.

As posted before on other threads deep air for me is based on simple math. If when counting my breaths deeper than 150' I run out of fingers on one hand, or my symptom shows up, my dive is over. Hunting deep on air in any mode but a true bounce IMNSHO is begging to become a statistic, usually without a body to bury.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote