Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Zygady
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Beginner fins

I have regular snorkeling fins (which I am rapidly growing out of) that I use for spearfishing but was wondering what freediving fins I should look into that are fairly affordable

Cheers
Zygady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
spearkid16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 9
Re: Beginner fins

A lot of my friend have bought the Cressi Gara 3000 and they are good fins! A little stiff at first but then they break in. I personally bought the Omer Stingrays and like those so much. Little bit more then the Cressi but glad I got them.
spearkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Freshy
Registered User
 
Freshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 943
Re: Beginner fins

3 plastic fins that I have tried:

Omer Stingray
Mares Razor
Beuchat Mundial Competition

All were okay. The Beuchat footpockets fit me the best because I have narrow feet so I went to Beuchat Carbons. Awesome fins. You can't really go wrong with any of these or the Cressi 3000s (from the sounds of things). Your best bet is to try different footpockets on as each feel and perform differently. Alot of people find the Omer Stingray footpockets very comfortable.

Contact Josh at Dive Addicts. He'll set you up for a very reasonable price and he's a great guy too!

Josh@diveaddicts.com
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Mikhail
Registered User
 
Mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hallandale, Fl
Posts: 107
Re: Beginner fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygady View Post
I have regular snorkeling fins (which I am rapidly growing out of) that I use for spearfishing but was wondering what freediving fins I should look into that are fairly affordable

Cheers

I used many spearfishing fins with plastic blades. If you want have easy diving you must use fins with soft blades. For example, Beuchat Competition (grey blades), Omer Stingray (black blades), Mares Rasor (gray blades)
It is very easy for your leg and good for snorkeling technic.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
AlexbeeintheUK
Registered User
 
AlexbeeintheUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 505
Re: Beginner fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
I used many spearfishing fins with plastic blades. If you want have easy diving you must use fins with soft blades. For example, Beuchat Competition (grey blades), Omer Stingray (black blades), Mares Rasor (gray blades)
It is very easy for your leg and good for snorkeling technic.
But do they perform better than say Cressi 2000 which are slightly shorter and a little stiffer, they have grey foot pockets. Lets say you're doing a shore dive and have some distance to cover. You also still want powerful fins for descending on a drop-off so would you go for soft Beuchats to help with the surface swimming, or the stiffer C 2000's for enhanced diving?
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Mikhail
Registered User
 
Mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hallandale, Fl
Posts: 107
Re: Beginner fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbeeintheUK View Post
But do they perform better than say Cressi 2000 which are slightly shorter and a little stiffer, they have grey foot pockets. Lets say you're doing a shore dive and have some distance to cover. You also still want powerful fins for descending on a drop-off so would you go for soft Beuchats to help with the surface swimming, or the stiffer C 2000's for enhanced diving?
The hardness of fins it's very individual. I think what cressi fins good for athletic men. No good for me! I can say what use soft blades for all, deep diving or surface swiming. You will be have good swiming technic. For deep diving not need powerfull fins, it' mistake!
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Yodaa
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ct
Posts: 126
Re: Beginner fins

Mako !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yodaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Freshy
Registered User
 
Freshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 943
Re: Beginner fins

I heard Mako footpockets are suitable for wide feet. That is why I never gave the plastic fins a try. If you have wide feet then you're in luck! Nothing worse than a footpocket that doesn't fit well. I learnt that it doesn't matter how good the blades are, they wont perform to their full potential unless they are matched with good pockets that fit well. Go to an LDS and try some footpockets on.
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
sp9hzx
Registered User
 
sp9hzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Poland
Posts: 28
Re: Beginner fins

Imersion can offer you something good.Footpocket is extremely comfortable.
Also Captain Nemo or Omer Millenium






==============================
http://spearo.republika.pl
__________________
SEA SPEARFISHING
---------------------
http://spearo.republika.pl
sp9hzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
AlexbeeintheUK
Registered User
 
AlexbeeintheUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 505
Re: Beginner fins

My current beuchat fins have now developed a crack on one of the rails which after 2 attempts at fixing with epoxy still cracks on the first kick

I have been looking around and am thinking of going for either the Cressi 3000 (i would rather the originals over the LD but am struggling to find them), the Beuchat Mundial Competition or the Esclapez Classics. My difficulty is that being over on this little island the only ones i can try on are the Beuchats. Iv heard people saying the Cressi and Beuchat foot pockets are very similar. I have average width feet and am size 9/10 - 42/43 so even if i got slightly too big i can always buy some 1mm socks.

I also wanted to ask, are most blades interchangeable with most foot pocket brands? I figured if i go and try on the Beuchats, find the right size foot pocket, order just the foot pockets online then buy the blade of choice - for example these Camo Fiberglass Leaderfins would they fit on to the pockets?

Looking at the blades there are no holes in them, so surely its a case of drilling the holes in the right spots to fit on to Beuchat foot pockets?
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Mikhail
Registered User
 
Mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hallandale, Fl
Posts: 107
Re: Beginner fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbeeintheUK View Post

I also wanted to ask, are most blades interchangeable with most foot pocket brands? I figured if i go and try on the Beuchats, find the right size foot pocket, order just the foot pockets online then buy the blade of choice - for example these Camo Fiberglass Leaderfins would they fit on to the pockets?
I have experience with blades Liderfins. Usual i see it blades for OMER Millenium footpockets, it's not good for Beuchat footpockets, it's narrow.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
AlexbeeintheUK
Registered User
 
AlexbeeintheUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 505
Re: Beginner fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
I have experience with blades Liderfins. Usual i see it blades for OMER Millenium footpockets, it's not good for Beuchat footpockets, it's narrow.
You are saying the frame around the foot pockets couldn't be adjusted to make them accommodate the blades?

It looks to me like when you get the blades there are no holes so you would need to fit them anyway.
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
Mikhail
Registered User
 
Mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hallandale, Fl
Posts: 107
Re: Beginner fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbeeintheUK View Post
You are saying the frame around the foot pockets couldn't be adjusted to make them accommodate the blades?

It looks to me like when you get the blades there are no holes so you would need to fit them anyway.

I say about place look at the picture, it's can be narrow here.
I'm not making holes in the blades, it's can be broken here! i'm gluing the blades to footpockets only here, look at the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	178258  
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
AlexbeeintheUK
Registered User
 
AlexbeeintheUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 505
Re: Beginner fins

Yea i get what you mean. Hmmmm, i better keep searching. I am tempted to just go for Cressi 3000's but cant shake the feeling id be better off going for fiberglass.
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Mikhail
Registered User
 
Mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hallandale, Fl
Posts: 107
Re: Beginner fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbeeintheUK View Post
I am tempted to just go for Cressi 3000's but cant shake the feeling id be better off going for fiberglass.
It's right, the fiberglass it's better like Gara 3000.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
beginner, fins

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com