Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
nivekerotavlas

Successful 4 shore dives 11/10 - 11/11

Went in the water off Palmetto on some artificial reef balls and tires both Saturday and Sunday. Two tanks each day, Got in the water from 10am-11am both days on an incoming tide. Depth at the deepest was roughly 25ft. Visibility and current were very challenging both days.

The first dive of Saturday we got so off course due to current and visibility we did not even find the reef balls. Only took a couple of stone crab claws under some of the tires that we found. Saw two of the largest gags I've seen on this spot but could not get in range of them for a clear shot. Tried a shot anyways and missed.

Second dive on Saturday, with some adjustments on our course for current we found the reef balls and they were covered with all legal sized sheepshead but no mangrove snappers to be seen. I quickly took the largest one I could and worked my way down. It was strange because all the sheepshead seemed to stick around to watch me impale their peers and watch me string em and reload and shoot again. All in all I ended up taking 5 sheeps. The only reason I didn't take my limit at 8 is because as I said in my last post my reel kept causing my gun to tangle and jam up. I ultimately took everyone's advice and ditched the reel while scuba diving for the next two dives on Sunday..

Third dive on Sunday morning we got on the reef balls pretty quickly only to see the two large groupers I saw the day before dip out down current hopping from reef balls to reef balls always just out of range. We drifted after them with the current but had a hard time controlling our drift. I ended up shooting the largest sheepshead I've ever taken that was hiding in a tire. The only issue was I had shot the sheep and my shaft through the tire and had a very difficult time sawing my shaft out of the tire with my serrated dive knife while the current was ripping. Ultimately I got the sheepshead and my shaft back and got back to shore. I was exhausted.

My brother had to basically force me to get in the water for the final dive. We decided that we were gunning for the groupers and we had one shot to swim up current and silently drift back into them. After we drifted for about 5 minutes sure enough there one of them was. Stoned him in one shot before he even knew what we were. Turned out to be 36" inches. A personal best.

I have pictures attached to the post. I also had Gyotaku prints made that will be up in a separate post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grouper1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	240379   Click image for larger version

Name:	grouper2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	240380   Click image for larger version

Name:	prints.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	240381  

Last edited by nivekerotavlas; 11-14-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: adding photo
nivekerotavlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Successful 4 shore dives 11/10 - 11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekerotavlas View Post
The only issue was I had shot the sheep and my shaft through the tire and had a very difficult time sawing my shaft out of the tire with my serrated dive knife while the current was ripping. Ultimately I got the sheepshead and my shaft back and got back to shore. I was exhausted.
You need a power down option on your gun if you're going to be doing low vis diving/up close shots. I've a weak and strong band on my 42" Biller that keeps me from ruining my spear shaft tips on hard crap...or shooting thru rubber tires.

That's a nice size gag for the area. Congrats. Was the tide incoming? You need to hit it at the peak. Tack on about 45 minutes to the Egmont Key forecasted peak. Will vary due to wind direction/strength.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 11-14-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Dbrown

Congrats on your personal best!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
FishReeper

Awesome man! I think I seen y’all there, I was fishing H/L at the end. I’ve heard of the reef balls but never tried hitting them, might try in the colder months when the sheeps are stacked & the viz is better.
FishReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Great fish for any dive and especially for a shore dive! Nice job.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote