Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
geofri
Ectothermic member

Another Assault by United Airlines ( travel advisory for divers)

Well, not physically, but financially.

They just changed their oversize/sporting baggage terms a few weeks ago after I complained to them about conflicting statements.

They charged me $150 for a fully collapsed sportube3. The man checking my luggage was very unfamiliar with their terms, taking 15 minutes of searching online and talking to various coworkers about it until decided he was going to charge me.

Old terms:
Quote:
"Dive bags measuring greater than 62 linear inches (158 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge."
which reads that so long as I have only dive equipment I will NOT be subject to the oversize charge.. no?

Now:
Quote:
"Dive bags containing dive equipment over 50 pounds and/or 62 linear inches will be accepted as sporting equipment, and special item charges apply."

Sparing the long story and details on how rude and aggressive the manager on duty was when I asked to show her the terms I had printed, and explain my confusion at being charged more then $25 for 1 checked bag of dive gear - Just a heads up - dive bags are no longer allowed as sporting equipment which is exempt from oversize fees if they are over length or weight.

**Tip - It was 1/3 the price to just FedEx it home rather than bring back on United( did take 3 days via ground service). I packed all wet gear in my carry on so it didn't get raunchy in transit.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
bleu
Official Sponsor

Re: Another Assault by United Airlines ( travel advisory for divers)

Just another option but if you just say its fishing gear you are allotted 128 inches of length. Ive never had a problem with any airline in the US saying that.
bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu View Post
Just another option but if you just say its fishing gear you are allotted 128 inches of length. Ive never had a problem with any airline in the US saying that.
I had them open my sport tube after I said it was fishing gear , they has a list of what was fishing gear and if anything was in the tube in addition to the list it was charged additional fees . This was fly to Florida, I fed ex ed my tube home $150 on the plane ,$for fedex

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
hydroid

Yep it was going to cost me $200 to bring my new bluewater gun back to the Marshall Islands (United) so I shipped by mail from the states for $65. Glad I found out about it before showing up at the airport.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
bleu
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
I had them open my sport tube after I said it was fishing gear , they has a list of what was fishing gear and if anything was in the tube in addition to the list it was charged additional fees . This was fly to Florida, I fed ex ed my tube home $150 on the plane ,$for fedex
Damn, I hate to hear that. I guess I've just been lucky so far.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
bleu
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Damn, I hate to hear that. I guess I've just been lucky so far.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
ShootIt

I have found lately they don't know what their policies are. I print a copy off the website and after trying to charge me initially they back off after I show them the print off from their website. Either way they all suck...
ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote