Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Alec

Destin spearos

Hey, My Step-Dad has recently moved to Destin. I might move there but am not sure at the time. My question is from Scuba off the beach, what is the water like? (reefs, just sand bottom, structures, wrecks). That i can access and shoot some fish at. Also, can you find Spiny Lobster off the beach there? Thanks!
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Alec

Re: Destin spearos

Also anybody know of any good charters that aren't too expensive that allow spearfishing on air to 60ft?
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Pierce07

I'm pretty much a neighbor to Destin. Pensacola. I hate to inform you but there aren't many spiney lobsters in these parts. We do get Shovel Nose lobster which IMO are better. They're sweeter then the spineys.

The Gulf up here is like a desert. You'll be hard pressed to get a ton of good beach diving in around here. Most of the stuff is done off a boat. Spearfishing on jetties is illegal just giving you the heads up before you find out the hard way.

I'm not completely sure about Destin waters so I might have missed/not heard of something in the destin area and someone can correct me.

The best thing about diving. My girlfriend can't yell at me underwater

Diving is life, everything else is just a surface interval

Handle every situation like a dog if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Pierce07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
acardet

Destin is a great place to live.

I would contact SCUBA TECH dive shop in Destin they run spearfishing charters and I don't think they are too expensive.

There are not many near shore places to dive.My favorite is Miss Louise,a steel hull tug boat in 55ft which is about a mile from the beach.

Most of the lobster spots are in 100ft or more at least 10 miles from shore.When you do find a spiny lobster they are huge.

Have fun,

Fred Cardet
acardet is offline   Reply With Quote