Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Mxgrogg

Brand New; Buddy selling JBL Sawed off 52 for $150. Good deal or wait?

This forum is amazing! I've been lurking for weeks and now am into the sport. I have a polespear and enjoy it, but I need my first speargun. Occasionally I am shore diving in Cali in <10 meters or off Catalina in similar conditions. No open blue water yet.

My buddy is selling his JBL Sawed 52" in almost new condition for $150 and want to know your opinion on whether it is a good idea or should I wait for something better? If so, what?

Thanks.

Last edited by Mxgrogg; 09-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Mxgrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
LoGiiCz

Re: Brand New; Buddy selling JBL Sawed off 52 for $150. Good deal or wait?

Seems like a good deal on a decent gun... Maybe someone in your state can chime in about the length, I have never speared in cali so I cant say anything about that

Last edited by LoGiiCz; 09-14-2012 at 01:32 PM.
LoGiiCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
almazing

Stick with a polespear until you can save up for a proper gun. I wouldn't touch JBL unless it's an Elite model, and even then, there are better and less expensive alternatives.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Mxgrogg

Thank you for the input. Can you give me some idea of where you would put your $150 for a first gun if not this?

Perhaps you can give me a list of what you would buy as your first, "trying to just get in and see what this sport is about", gun is. Then what would be the next step and next step?

I know full well that quality guns cost $500+, even when buying them used. I am not expecting anyone to say "Go ahead, this is the best thing you could ever buy." But honestly, with Christmas coming up, I don't think I can float a bigger payout for my first gun, so I'm lookign for the best $150 gun advice.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
almazing

I'm not saying you should pour 500 on a first gun. I'm saying that there are better guns to spend the money on rather than an 'old style' JBL. Look in to used Cressi Geronimos, Omer Caymans, Beuchat Marlins, Mako, Rob Allens, etc. You might come across a smoking deal. Or even a brand new one on a sale price. Any mid-level euro gun is better than a JBL. There's a reason those are flooding Craigslist.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Mxgrogg

Great info. I'll look into those guns.

What denotes a "Euro" gun? Is it different form and function or literally, "Made in Europe?"
Old 09-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
almazing

There are 2 main types of guns. Euro and American.

A euro is a tube gun, made out of aluminum or carbon, with the handle in the very end of the gun. They are lightweight, easy to load, easy to maneuver, and normally come with one or two bands and a thin spear. I believe they are the easiest guns to learn on.

An American gun on the other hand, is normally made out of wood, with the handle placed in the middle or the rear, or in between. True midhandles and 'rear-plus' guns have a remote trigger and the mechs are placed in the very rear of the stock, to maximize band stretch. They are normally very powerful guns, but compared to euros, are harder to track and maneuver in the water.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Dino Spadoni

I would go for the Mako Predator
http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mpp2gr.htm
I have the original and love it.
Dino Spadoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
popgun pete

Check out the bands and the rubber tensioning element in the shooting line to see if they are still good, as "near new" can mean different things to different people. Replacing them now will be more money to spend, but being a hip loading gun it is a useful place to start from. Do some research on the Web to see what sort of a deal it would be for you by checking the new price, cost of replacement bands, etc. Ultimately the gun has to suit you and not everyone uses the same guns for that reason.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote