Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Chris Oak
the ghost

Re: Cat trip turns Expensive

That sucks Joe, I'm glad that everyone is okay!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Sorry to hear of your expensive adventure, but thank you for reminding me to get the renewal sent in...you may have just saved me an expensive trip, good Karma to you!

* I'm not Navy, but the pocket breathalyzer is cool

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
Bill McIntyre

Thanks for the clarification Michael. I've had Gold for so long that I forgot that it was what entitled me to home port towing.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
mochosla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ballew View Post
sounds like the typical octopus spreads it's tenacles scenerio....time to invest in vessel assist...
x2.
mochosla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
SDspearo

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Gladd everyone is safe and you didn't sink.
SDspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
Bill McIntyre

Its ironic that Joe is the one suffering this misfortune since he helped me out a few weeks ago. My boat overheated a few hundred yards outside the harbor, and before I could call Vessel Assist, he came along and towed me back in. I wish I could have done the same for him.

My next trip was just to test the repair, and it overheated again. This time Joe didn't come along, so I had to drop anchor and wait out near the bell buoy off the end of the jetties for about 30 minutes until VA arrived and towed me back in. I just got this letter from VA yesterday. Notice that even at the discounted rates they pay, the tower was paid $187.50 for that short tow. That is more than my annual cost of membership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vessel Assist_SR.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	145875  

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 02-25-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
Grumblefish
grumbling ghost fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I've had Gold for so long that I forgot that it was what entitled me to home port towing.
My renewal is up soon too, and this comment alone makes me want to upgrade to the Gold. It only takes one incident (it took me a tow from the backside of Anacapa to CI Harbor) to realize the need to invest in Vessal Assist. I take good care of my boat and motor, but I still use it so much that its just a matter of time before stuff happens. I've had two separate tows (one on my boat for a busted thermostat 25 mi off Oceanside while paddy hopping, one when borrowing my buddy's boat with a mangled lower unit out at Santa Cruz Island) that would've totaled over $800 and $900 apiece and I paid nothing for them outside of my yearly dues to Vessel Assist.

Bottom line: If you have a boat, and you use it, get Vessel Assist. A nd in case you wonder how they can afford it, my dad works for AAA and said they had the opportunity to buy the company about ten years ago and didn't, and he still sees it as a major missed opportunity for AAA.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
jondavies

I checked my Vessel Assist membership regarding the difference between Unlimited Towing and Gold Unlimited Towing:
Unlimited Gold Saltwater and Freshwater Towing – $157.00 – BoatUS pays the bill within a towing service area. The extra benefit of Unlimited Gold is that it Provides 100% payment for a tow from your home dock or mooring to a repair facility. Of course it provides 100% payment for a tow at sea to your home dock or repair facility and 100% for a tow from a restricted use dock to your home dock or repair facility.

Our Most Popular Towing Option
Unlimited Saltwater and Freshwater Towing – $125.00 – BoatUS pays the bill within a towing service area. This is for both coastal and inland boaters, and all of Florida. Provides 100% payment for a tow at sea to your home dock or repair facility. 100% for a tow from a restricted use dock to your home dock or repair facility. 50% payment for a tow from your home dock or mooring to a repair facility.
Elsewhere, it says that "A Service Area is defined as a minimum of a 25 miles offshore of the TowBoatUS or VESSEL ASSIST homeport" which suggests that a member would be responsible for the tow if they are less than 25 miles offshore. However, I've been towed twice -- both times less than 25 miles -- and wasn't charged either time.

On another note, for those with a trailered boat, I think it's worth paying $14 extra for the roadside assistance option. I've heard that AAA won't touch a trailer if you have a mechanical problem with it on the road.

Last edited by jondavies; 02-25-2011 at 11:37 AM.
jondavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #24
Michael J

It's true.If you boat enough you will have some kind of failure.

Im on boat #5 ,and been towed in 4 times in 20 years of boating.One time all the way home from Rosa.Not fun ,but everyone got home safe,and thats the important thing.

Remember if someone else is on your vessel that has VA,and you dont,you can still get towed in on thier coverage.

Sorry to hear about your mishap....lower end units are not cheap.

I would def.give my insurance guy a call,and see what they say.I think I'll make a phone call myself and double check that.

I broke down 2 weeks ago. 19 miles from home coming from the West End of Cruz.....lost the HP fuel pump.Milked it home on my lil 8HP kicker.My Buddy who told me kickers were a waste of money was eatin crow.Best 2g I ever spent.Got home faster than VA could have got me ,and towed me home,but was damn lucky the wind didn't get over 10knts.

Glad to know you ,and your crew got back safe.
MJ.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
Grumblefish
grumbling ghost fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
Remember if someone else is on your vessel that has VA,and you dont,you can still get towed in on thier coverage.
That's true, HOWEVER there is a little glitch. If the owner of the boat is on the boat, THEY are responsible for the tow service. That means if they are knuckleheaded enough to not have Vessel Assist, even if you do and are at the helm when the incident occurs, as the owner they're still technically considered the captain and therefore on the hook for footing the bill. If they're not on the boat and you're "borrowing" it from them, you're then considered the captain and can use your membership benefits. Just a heads up from experience.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #26
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblefish View Post
That's true, HOWEVER there is a little glitch. If the owner of the boat is on the boat, THEY are responsible for the tow service. That means if they are knuckleheaded enough to not have Vessel Assist, even if you do and are at the helm when the incident occurs, as the owner they're still technically considered the captain and therefore on the hook for footing the bill. If they're not on the boat and you're "borrowing" it from them, you're then considered the captain and can use your membership benefits. Just a heads up from experience.
Wow, thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize it worked that way.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #27
Michael J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblefish View Post
AHHHH! I KNEW that was just to good to be true!!
Thanks for clearing that upSorry you had to find that out first hand.
MJ.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #28
BEEK

What a bummer joe. I feel your pain.
BEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #29
Grumblefish
grumbling ghost fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
AHHHH! I KNEW that was just to good to be true!!
Thanks for clearing that upSorry you had to find that out first hand.
MJ.
Luckily I found it out the easy way when I was borrowing a boat. I thought the membership followed the boat and used the number from the card on board, only to be told my buddy had the lowest package (which would only pay $150 of the $900 tow fee from Prisoner's to Ventura Harbor). Upon trying to switch to my card - the one I should have used in the first place - all the information from my post above was explained to me. Basically, I lucked out and in the process learned some important ins and outs to Vessel Assist. And my buddy promptly upped his membership to the Unlimited level.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #30
78sharpshooter

+1 on the insurance coverage. Most policies cover striking of a partially submerged object. Given that the lower unit gears were destroyed I would take a close look at the crank/driveshaft splines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5869 View Post
Not sure if its worth it but your insurance should cover it. Covered the replacement of my lower unit after I hit a Mola and blew up the whole lower unit. Glad you were all safe.
78sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote