Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
toptuna

Re: Stone Brewing supports MLPA

There beer sucked IMO. Ballast point makes way better brew. Plus they donated a ton of beer to raffle off to fight the MLPA at SDF Blue Water Meet.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
78sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
There beer sucked IMO. Ballast point makes way better brew. Plus they donated a ton of beer to raffle off to fight the MLPA at SDF Blue Water Meet.
100% agree. Ballast point brews are at least 10 times better than anything stone has produced. If you don't believe us, go to the BP brewery tasting room and get the sampler.
78sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78sharpshooter View Post
100% agree. Ballast point brews are at least 10 times better than anything stone has produced. If you don't believe us, go to the BP brewery tasting room and get the sampler.
Absolutely they are so much more complex and taste a million times better. I hope they get the hops this year to brew the dorado double IPA.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
primalpete

Thats a shame. Was always a fan of the smoked porter and runination.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Holy Mackerel

Saw this on post BD, Chris Cochran might be a better person (than the indoctrination coordinator) to let know how you feel about their partnership with Surfrider, and support of the MLPA.

Quote:
When I first saw the thread with the list of supporters I emailed Greg the CEO, this was their response 1/3

"Sorry. I don't know what MLPA is.

Chris, perhaps you can shed some light?

Brett...thanks for all the support my friend. We'll look into this.

Greg

-------
Greg Koch, CEO (@StoneGreg)
Stone Brewing Co. (@StoneBrewingCo)
Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens (@Stone_Kitchen / @BistroBeer)
1999 Citracado Pkwy, Escondido, CA 92029"

"Brett, hey there and greetings from the Stone Brewing Co…thanks for the email. We never get tired of hearing from the people out there that are passionate enough about our beers that they take the time to write and tell us how they feel, and ask some good questions.

You are indeed correct that we’ve supported the California Department of Fish and Game, along with the Marine Life Protection Act, in the past through a couple of donations of beer for their events. We’ve had a very long partnership with the Surfrider Foundation and I am pretty sure they got us in touch with someone from the MLPA to assist with donating beer for a fundraiser they were having. We do have a very strong presence in supporting many local, regional, and national environmental causes, but certainly appreciate you pointing out the MLPA and their agenda, along with your concerns.

I will certainly look more into their organization and do my best to research that entity, and address our support for that group in the future. Since like you mentioned we don’t want to go “blind” into supporting an event or organization just because it “sounds” like a good cause. We really appreciate the support and keep on spreading the words of Stone and the Arrogance!

Cheers,

Chris Cochran
Community Relations Manager chris.cochran@stonebrew.com
Stone Brewing Co.
1999 Citracado Parkway (760) 471-4999 x1561
Escondido, CA 92029 (760) 294-7898 Fax
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
Hungry1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen View Post
email sent

I'm moving to La Jolla in a few months, and the two things I was looking forward to the most are spearfishing and regular trips to Stone Brewery. As a homebrewer, I absolutely love many of their brews. Thanks for the disappointment, Stone. You broke my heart.
Dont worry....San Diego is the mecca for breweries and Stone is not at the top of my list.
Hungry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
M4LFUNCT10N
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry1 View Post
Dont worry....San Diego is the mecca for breweries and Stone is not at the top of my list.
Agree 100%, but on the other hand how many others love Stone and will blindly follow/support Stone and the causes that they support? It's another big name supporting an agenda that cannot be allowed. We have to help cut off the funding and support.
M4LFUNCT10N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
Mike Eberhardt
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78sharpshooter View Post
I brew often, and tend to agree that Ballast Point makes better all-around beer. While I do (used?) to enjoy many of their brews, I can't respect their products because It's easy to cover subtleties in malt and hops flavor profiles by throwing a TON of both in every beer you make. *coughSTONEcough*

Ballast Pt. has made an art out of many of their more well-rounded beers, and still has some good west-coast style beers (over-hopped, unbalanced) if that's what you're looking for. Thank god they at least give you the option to drink something you're "worthy" of.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #24
fishy killa

yah that stuff is good wait... wait, nevermind
fishy killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eberhardt View Post
I brew often, and tend to agree that Ballast Point makes better all-around beer. While I do (used?) to enjoy many of their brews, I can't respect their products because It's easy to cover subtleties in malt and hops flavor profiles by throwing a TON of both in every beer you make. *coughSTONEcough*

Ballast Pt. has made an art out of many of their more well-rounded beers, and still has some good west-coast style beers (over-hopped, unbalanced) if that's what you're looking for. Thank god they at least give you the option to drink something you're "worthy" of.
Mike that is what I was trying to say about STONE. Just did not know how to explain it.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Now I don't feel bad for coming up with a recipe for beer that tastes identical to it.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #27
hardway
Aaron

While we are discussing SD area breweries, make sure you give Alpine a try. I think that their Nelson Rye is my favorite beer at the moment.

And stone is overrated. Now I have a good reason not to drink it.
hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
Bill McIntyre

I'm afraid I can't get out to shop until I resolve some medical issues, so my wife had been taking up the slack.

Tonight she came home with two six-packs of Stone IPA and an Arrogant Bastard.

I just didn't have the heart to tell her that we couldn't drink it. It was good.

Ban me if I'm not sufficiently militant.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #29
toptuna

Naw it was a nice gesture from you wife. No one wants to ban you Bill. Not even me when you call me a prick.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
SBH20Man
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I'm afraid I can't get out to shop until I resolve some medical issues, so my wife had been taking up the slack.

Tonight she came home with two six-packs of Stone IPA and an Arrogant Bastard.

I just didn't have the heart to tell her that we couldn't drink it. It was good.

Ban me if I'm not sufficiently militant.
I think thats what some call "Selling out", Bill.

I have a similar dilemma - a 1/2 case of the Ruination in the fridge.... what to do, what to do....

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote