Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
undrH2Ohntr
Loco para Jurel

Covert Op's Report-Dead Fish

Here's for those stuck at work. I haven't posted a report in a while but recently I had one of those epic days that has to be cherished and I know there are some guys stuck at work. I love reading reports and looking at pic's whether they are from Nor.Cal, baja, the islands, or local.

It's been a LONG, SLOW, frustrating season for me........recently the ocean god's took pity

I got a phone call from an old retired military officer (play mission impossible music)........he said, "I know where the fish are." Without hesitation I accepted the mission, despite having a family (kids and wife) I took on the responsibility to take out some rogue fish that were causing political chaos and rallying for more MLPA closures in our local waters.

My contact shall remain nameless as a matter of security to he and his family and for future assassinations that may need to happen. The mission details will also remain classified. As a matter of fact, it might not have even been me.......possibly a cover, complete with disguise and props to mislead even those with the most observant eyes.

The day began with meeting up with my contact...a bit of later start than normal because he had completed a very early covert op. the previous day. There was a bit of texture on the water that provided a slight beating on the way to our destination but nothing compared to what we discovered when we got there. The fish were rumored to be gathering in a kelp bed, the mission was compromised when we got to our #'s and there was no kelp. The current was ripping and it was all down about 20 ft. Do we abort the mission? NO....these fish need to be taken out.

We select a spot and drop the pick. Through out a current line to assure success. We were pleasantly surprised with top to bottom vis., this might make the mission a little easier despite the current. This was the best vis. I had ever seen in this spot but also the worst current. Unfortunately, our targets were not there. Some of the usual low life suspects hanging around and some of their muscle (BSB, calicos, sheephead, sandies, sargo etc...).

We moved our location. This spot had current ripping too, only a few stringers of kelp. I was kicking in the current when I caught my first glimpse. A nice fish about 20-25ft. down, fairly open target. I didn't want to spook the fish, it was pretty much open water. I dropped straight down on the fish, it did a small tail swoosh and was out in front now. I continued to level out and track the fish. When it gave me the slightest broad side I took the shot. The fish felt the wrath of a 5/16th shaft powered by almost 54 inches of band pull. A good holding shot just behind the pectoral fin. The fish immediately went sideways kicking for its life. The fight was on. I pulled up hard and kicked trying to keep it away from the stringer next to it. The fish managed to get to that stringer and wrap itself up around 25ft. Not a bad retrieval. No other targets seen.

We moved spots again, current still going but not as bad in this spot and vis. was great. I located a spot in the bed with a channel and bait hanging out. I thought I might be able to get another of our targets or maybe another local thug that has been cruising up and down the coast bullying the bait. Sure enough a YT came through. I immediately noticed he was a small time player in this game but I will never pass up fresh sashimi and the freezer was getting low on YT. I dove right away, strummed the bands and he came around for a look. I was fortunate enough to be wearing special glove, when by a properly trained assassin, it will ensure death. It worked like a charm. I was impressed by the strength and desire to live by this fish despite it's small stature. Our official targets were no where to be seen.........we moved again.

Now were are talking......this spot had little current and awesome vis. First thoughts, a lot of life. It didn't take long to find the targets. I was cruising the fringe when I saw a group of four. I think they knew we were around, word was out. These guys were running a bit deeper, maybe 25-30 ft. I dove down to their depth and leveled out. All the fish were in the same size range so no need to choose the biggest. I chose the fish that would give me the best shot. By the time I got down to them, the first two fish were too far to chase. The last fish was behind kelp. The third fish would die. Another good shot. In just behind the pectoral fin and the slip-tip toggled in gill on the other side. Solid shot so I was horsing this fish as it ran straight for the bottom. I kicked like hell but it was too strong. A good holding shot but didn't do any immediate damage. I had to concede and let out floatline. This fish started working me over. I had to let more floatline out.

I had to make four dives to the bottom and cut like hell just to get my floatline straight up. Fortunately, the vis. was great so I could see my fish was safe and not going anywhere. The end of a long day diving, 4 dives to the bottom..........I was tired and needed back up. I went and located my contact (he still remains nameless). I asked him to spot me which he was happy to do. The final dive completed the mission.

Mission accomplished:
2 WSB dead: 36 and 39lbs.
1 YT dead: small but delicious

I included a picture of a calico I did whole on the grille for fish tacos. Enjoy.
It was an epic day and one I will cherish, it's been a couple of years since I was last able to take out two targets (WSB) in one day.

EDIT: I almost forgot the funniest part. At the end of the day, my contact likes to wash himself of all the "blood" of the mission. He doesn't like to bring home his work to his family. He was showering on the deck of the boat as a boat full of fishermen cruised by. Looked like two adult guys with their three teenage boys out for a day of fishing. They came a little too close to the boat. That's when I heard the driver yell out, "That man's Naked!!!" He went on to say something about a nudity show or something and then he hauled ass away. Funniest thing I have heard in a while. My contact continued his show of nudity not giving a *****......funny stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WSBJuly2011.2.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	156103   Click image for larger version

Name:	WSBJuly2011.06.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	156104   Click image for larger version

Name:	WSBJuly20011 003.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	156105   Click image for larger version

Name:	WSBJuly20011 001.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	156106  

Last edited by undrH2Ohntr; 07-28-2011 at 10:32 AM.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Mr Paul
Queerboard Kook

Re: Covert Op's Report-Dead Fish

Very cool, thanks for the good read.
Mr Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
jondavies

Great report Eric -- nice job on taking out those insurgent fish.

I'm hoping for a day like that soon.
jondavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Novice Dave

murderous- I love it
Novice Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Spearo1

P r i c k !!... but nice work...

Spearo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Logan

Great report, thanks for the entertaining read while I'm stuck at work.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
atomic water
born to lose!

Ingenious write up! I think I know who your contact is, but your secret is safe with me. Glad you got on some nice fish!
atomic water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Chris Oak
the ghost

Damn Eric, that's a solid day, congrats!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
kodidiver

Nice work I've heard about your contact he's badass and not to be trifled with!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
bluesquids
bluesquids

NICE Bro!
I suspect your mysterious contact goes by the screen name Drakkar Noir.
============
Where is my mind?
Waay out in the water, see it swimmin'.
- The Pixies
bluesquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
jcjkspearfish
John Volker Jr.

NICE ERIC!

but hat baby yt's parents are going to miss him...
jcjkspearfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
Holy Mackerel

Nice fish!
Holy Mackerel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
unkabonka

Great report, I enjoyed the read. Congrats on the YT+seabass combo score!
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Great report, fun to read. Glad you found some fish out there. Seems like the season is going to be going strong for another few weeks.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
YakAtak
Izabella's Dad

Send a message via Yahoo to YakAtak

Prick!

All you had to do was beach dive North County and you could have had a halibut too!!!