Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
ponsoldt

Shark Shield

Can anyone tell me if it really works? Personal experience only please.

Thanks,

Bill
ponsoldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Re: Shark Shield

Yes,,,Why?,,,use the search feature.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
ponsoldt

I am thinking about buying one. How do you know it works?
ponsoldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Ryfish

I have a friend that dives with one, and I have seen it work on sharks. It works on humans too.LOL Serious look where your coming up if the tether hits you in the top of the head you feel it!
Ryfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
STITCH
ICU Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponsoldt View Post
I am thinking about buying one. How do you know it works?

Because he said so.
STITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
DiveGal
Today's the day!

I wear a Shark Shield Freedom 7 when diving Jupiter and WP. I know first hand that they work on curious sharks. Not sure (and don't want to find out) how they work during a frenzy. I've heard that they will break right through it - but I haven't experienced this behavior.

Some say it's a false sense of security, but I personally have had mine work for me. Shark comes in to around 10-15 feet and then turns. Like Johnoly said, use the Search Feature. You'll find a bunch of threads on SSs.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
SpearitPBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveGal View Post
I wear a Shark Shield Freedom 7 when diving Jupiter and WP. I know first hand that they work on curious sharks. Not sure (and don't want to find out) how they work during a frenzy. I've heard that they will break right through it - but I haven't experienced this behavior.

Some say it's a false sense of security, but I personally have had mine work for me. Shark comes in to around 10-15 feet and then turns. Like Johnoly said, use the Search Feature. You'll find a bunch of threads on SSs.
I also have the Freedom 7, and love that comfort zone. I do believe 99% of the time they will work, and who cares about the 1%, just be careful as always. I had a grey coming right at me, entered my "shock" zone and bounced back off, took off. If you're caught up in the moment, after spearing something, you may be unable to defend a "Sneak Attack."

Its getting sharkier out there, more agressive sharks in our area, so well worth the money. I turn mine on as soon as I enter the water and yes, stay away from other diver's whip if they too are carrying a shield, as I had one brush across my head! Yikes If you decide you want one, send me PM, I can get you a decent deal on one.

Last edited by SpearitPBC; 04-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
SpearitPBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
mjacobs

Send a message via AIM to mjacobs

Here's one cheap:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=103840

Mark
mjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
grummy

I dove an extreamly sharky area in Mexico last year and brought a shark shield along for piece of mind. I wanted to see if it worked so I would swim around with it off and when several of the sharks where very close, I would turn it on. once I turned it on all the sharks in the ''bubble of electricity" would dart out of the area. It worked or sharks up to 5-8 feet (the bigest I saw there) I even dropped dead fish in the "affective range " of the shield and the sharks would not go near it till it was out of the affective range.
There is one down point. If you dive strait down and stop, the tail will fall onto you and it shocks the $hit out of you. If you plain out graduly there is no problem. Bodega Bay Pro Dive sells them and will ship them anywere.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
DiveGal
Today's the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacobs View Post
This is for a Shark Shied Freedom 4. I've only owned the Freedom 7 so I can't give you a good comparison. But SpearitPBC has owned both so she can give you a comparison of the 2.

They do work. I know personnally that they work. So does Judy aka SperitPBC.