Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: I got my Mantis

Hell yeah HEX, nice job!!!

lol, I just dont think errin has ever shot a properly tuned up roller gun yet. If he could load my mantis gun or my omer roller, I bet he might change his tune.

I Just tied some fresh 14mm small ID bands on the Mantis today, and she now has an insane amount of power. I guess I wore the green bands out a little quicker then I expected and it just wasn't firing like I wanted.

Never mind two bands that make up a standard roller configuration, once you load the 3rd kicker band, its game over. I shoot a 7.5 spear on this setup as well.

The roller band gets loaded first on the closest notch of the spear, then load kicker band is loaded on the further notch so the two bands that are contracting at different speed dont rub against each other when firing and cause friction.

The way this 100cm is currently setup it would blow the doors off a standard twin banded 100cm railgun. hashtag beastmode

Last edited by kwtony; 11-02-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: tittysprinkles
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Wdsine

It's good to see that! Those are about the limit of the size of fish I plan on hunting. Great to see what my setup is capable of.

Tony, i agree, after figuring out the sequence to load my roller, it is as easy as loading a single band. The salvimar green stretchy bands also aid in how easy it is to load.

"Into the blue I go..."

Last edited by Wdsine; 11-02-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Wdsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
I had a chance to spend some time with the same setup you have there that I borrowed from a friend and I had a chance to learn the gun a bit. I never got to pool test it just trial and error out in the water. At first I found it kinda hard and akward loading a roller gun but after a couple of days with it I found a nice fluent load to it. It shoots a hell of a lot farther than my stock Pathos 110 with more power and no recoil using a double wrap with flopper shaft. As for accuracy is concerned, I never had a problem with missing shots on this setup. If you have a pipe gun and aren't sold on Wooden Multi band guns yet than this is perfect as it produces more power and range than the same size pipe gun hands down, add a reverse trigger mech and you'll get even more band stretch.

All my fish in these pictures were shot with a 110 Rob Allen paired with a Mantis Roller muzzle and I believe 14mm Band.

What kind of gun was Kodiak using that day?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #19
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
What kind of gun was Kodiak using that day?
A wooden 5 band Merlo but that's an unfair comparison. A roller gun is what it is, a pipe gun with a roller muzzle to power it up. I do find wooden\big carbon guns to be a better option for blue water hunting from my limited experience but the roller guns are sure a good alternative imo. Unless you can shoot them with pole spears lel. I find Roller guns and Wooden Guns both fun to shoot.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #20
Wdsine

that is a $2k+ gun with an effective range of 33' and a $300 rollergun conversion was able to pull the same fish. There is definitely a specified use for those big guns and i can appreciate them in that respect. The point of me turning my RA110 into a roller was to pretty much have a "do it all" gun. A jack of all trades, master of none.

"Into the blue I go..."
Wdsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdsine View Post
that is a $2k+ gun with an effective range of 33' and a $300 rollergun conversion was able to pull the same fish. There is definitely a specified use for those big guns and i can appreciate them in that respect. The point of me turning my RA110 into a roller was to pretty much have a "do it all" gun. A jack of all trades, master of none.
Not the same fish.

I see that Kodiak is holding three fish in that photo while HEX only has one. If I remember correctly Kodiak actually had five that day? His stringer was too heavy to lift at once. If his 110 roller had more range and was more accurate, HEX may have had five fish as well. No need to spend $2k, you could pick up a gun with equal capability on the members items thread for $400-$600.

Get my drift?

I'm not saying you won't slay any fish with your roller gun tho...

Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #22
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Errin do you ever get tired of speaking directly out of your ass or what?
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #23
frankt
apneist

i like my bleutec raptor 105 roller with 14mm blue outer amber inner small id at 400% w/7mm shaft, thats my favorite configuration so far. but there might be better ways to set it up, any opinions appreciated
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #24
frankt
apneist

i also have 16mm regular id bands and a 5/16 shaft
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #25
Gbaldihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
I guess when his a**hole is as stretched open wide as his mouth on a regular basis, doesn't really matter which one he uses. Real question is, which one smells worse?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #26
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankt View Post
i like my bleutec raptor 105 roller with 14mm blue outer amber inner small id at 400% w/7mm shaft, thats my favorite configuration so far. but there might be better ways to set it up, any opinions appreciated
Beautiful gun! Every time I hold a stock one in shop I love how light it is in hand and the grip is awesome. Only gripe I have with it is how far the trigger is from the handle (small/medium hands).

I first learned about the small ID 14mm bands from watching majdq8 testing guns on youtube and he talked about the sigalsub small ID 14.5mm bands with high stretch + 7.5mm shaft for added penetration.

Not sure if I'm gonna add a roller to my gun yet (pathos laser open 82) but I'm looking into either the salvimar green bands or small ID 14mm x2 for my standard open muzzle.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:21 AM   #27
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Lol.

Was there something in there that you disagreed with?

Tell him about the Oceanborne life...

Old 11-03-2015, 03:05 AM   #28
LookPointShoot

I have guns of all kinds. Aluminum, carbon, wood, roller. One band, 2, 3, 4. I suck pretty equally with all of them.

My 105 roller has its uses, and for those uses it's my favorite gun. I'd say it's the most fun gun I have to shoot things with. I think I'm more accurate with it than any other gun but that's mostly because the muzzle gives a great sight. Wouldn't trade a single one of my guns for any other, but the roller has its place for sure.

The issue with adding the extra band (which I've never done) is that you don't know when you're going to really need it. If you know before you dive you're going to be looking in holes, instead of loading the "kicker" band, I'd just grab a different gun better suited to the task. If I have the roller in hand, I assume I'm either shooting fish in the open or shooting something in a hole that I really want. I'd be surprised if a properly set up roller benefited at all from adding a static band to the load. All it would do is get in the way most of the time IMO
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:24 AM   #29
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Lol.

Was there something in there that you disagreed with?

Tell him about the Oceanborne life...
Have you ever even shot a decently set up two stage roller?
I got rid of my 105 raptor roller because it shot too far.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #30
kelppaddie

I have thought the same about the "kicker band". Why add something that is going to give kick when a significant advantage of a roller is no kick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
I have guns of all kinds. Aluminum, carbon, wood, roller. One band, 2, 3, 4. I suck pretty equally with all of them.

My 105 roller has its uses, and for those uses it's my favorite gun. I'd say it's the most fun gun I have to shoot things with. I think I'm more accurate with it than any other gun but that's mostly because the muzzle gives a great sight. Wouldn't trade a single one of my guns for any other, but the roller has its place for sure.

The issue with adding the extra band (which I've never done) is that you don't know when you're going to really need it. If you know before you dive you're going to be looking in holes, instead of loading the "kicker" band, I'd just grab a different gun better suited to the task. If I have the roller in hand, I assume I'm either shooting fish in the open or shooting something in a hole that I really want. I'd be surprised if a properly set up roller benefited at all from adding a static band to the load. All it would do is get in the way most of the time IMO
kelppaddie is offline   Reply With Quote