Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
weso
wes0

Any good spearfishing near campland san Diego

I will be at campland near the bay of San Diego this week. Is there any good local spots around there to dive in the mornings? I never been kids excited just be a bonus to dive somewhere new.
weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Xylophone

Re: Any good spearfishing near campland san Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso View Post
I will be at campland near the bay of San Diego this week. Is there any good local spots around there to dive in the mornings? I never been kids excited just be a bonus to dive somewhere new.
The jetty at south mission beach is ok on an incoming tide. I wouldn't eat anything out of the bay though.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
darian
Extreme Snorkeling

If I were you I'd just drive up to La Jolla, it's not too far from Mission Beach and much better than anything you'll find in the bay.
darian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #4
Zenon

Daunting to come in from out of town and find a spot on your own.
Try parking in the parking lot at southbmission bay at the end of the road. Hop in on the jetty there and swim from start to finish. Lots of stuff if you can get some visibility. Might be a little tore up from the surf.

Good luck.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Atractonobilis

Hey Weso,
I second Darian's suggestion of LJ, and the swell will still be running knee to chest high, so be careful on your entry and exit. Children's Pool is pretty protected for entry/exit, though sometimes a little drama to be had... If you go to La Jolla, watch the MLPA boundaries. Sunday the swell is supposed to pick back up to almost overhead. I recommend surfing instead of diving on Sunday.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #6
LookPointShoot

Campland is in the waaaaay back part of Mission Bay, so you'll have to drive to a local dive spot if you're looking to shore dive.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #7
weso
wes0

I stopped by Trestles and swell looked solid so I never bothered to get my dive gear out. However the YMCA skate park was awesome hit the mega ramp holly smokes haven't caught air in such a long time felt like a kid again. Woke up sore
weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
Timinator

Yea, if you're shore diving, don't bother with the Mission Bay. Go up to La Jolla and park at La Jolla Cove and dive out front of you. Not down the steps into the cove, that's protected. Stay to the left. Or, as mentioned, go a block south to Children's Cove. Easy entry, but "the drama" are seal huger's that don't want you to enter there as to upset the seals. If you accidentally stick one of the huger's as you walk down to the water, that would be just awful! But, La Jolla Cove is a nice 10 minute drive north from Campland. When I was going to San Diego State in the early 80's I was a "Ranger" at Campland. Be sure not to put your clothesline on a tree!