Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
outlaw-outdoors
Bass Master

Helppppp!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys im havin trouble with my 40hp suzuki 2cycle outboard. It will fire up and you can take off run top speed to the dive site run PERFECT! Then when you go to move its a hassle to start and then you take off get to top speed and run for about 15 to 20 sec at top speed and it does just like you ease the throttle down. doesnt die just slows down. Take back to idle it run then ease back into and it runs awhile then slows back down. I first thought it was fuel pump so I rebuilt it. that didnt help and I dont beleive it is drawing air anywhere. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
outlaw-outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
LaneC

Re: Helppppp!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a gas tank that has a cap with a vent screw in the cap, make sure the vent screw is opened. I had a motor that did this once and that is all that it was.
LaneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
barnaclebill

How far do you run to the dive site?
barnaclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
outlaw-outdoors
Bass Master

Yeah checked the vent cap and it was like a minute minute and a half short drive from ramp. Due to others time schedule I havent been able to go far and kind afaid I will be paddling back. But it wnt even make it half way across the lake before it starts messing up. I think it almost has to be in fueling because it doesnt miss or sputter. just acts like you slowly backed off the gas. I tried priming the bulb while it did it but nothing changed?

Pneumatic Gun Repair: arduckaholic@gmail.com Fast turn around!!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
barnaclebill

If you pumped the primer bulb hard when it was running and there was no change the problem most likely is in the carb.

It is usually not too hard to take the carb off those smaller engines, if it was mine I'd remove the carb, carefully take it apart, and look for a problem.

Check for dirt and gummy deposits, make sure the float is not damaged or saturated, check the needle valve to make sure it is sealing, look at the float level by turning the part with the float upside down, usually the top of the float is on the same plane as the gasket surface of the top casting, make sure all the jets are clean, I usually use spray carb cleaner for this.

Before you hook the gas line back to the carb give it a few pumps into a clean jar and inspect the gas for water or dirt.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
outlaw-outdoors
Bass Master

Thanks for advice Bill! Yea ive been thinkin it may be the top end jet but I dnt want to take it apart without a rebuild kit. I work the rest of week and sat so i can be off sun and monday to spear our season opens the 15th. If its not fixed by then I guess it will be slow goin. So maybe the top speed jet?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
barnaclebill

I have taken apart hundreds of carbs over the years and I think most of the time a carb kit is a waste of money.

If you take it apart carefully, 99% of the time you can reuse the gaskets, unless there is a diaphragm that is damaged, most everything else can be reused.

Most of the time the problem is dirt.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
outlaw-outdoors
Bass Master

Once more thanks Bill, I guess i have rebuilt adjusted and tinkered on my holly double pumper without puttin new gaskets in it. I was wondering if maybe trash was getting sucked up against it?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
kvzeyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw-outdoors View Post
Hey guys im havin trouble with my 40hp suzuki 2cycle outboard. It will fire up and you can take off run top speed to the dive site run PERFECT! Then when you go to move its a hassle to start and then you take off get to top speed and run for about 15 to 20 sec at top speed and it does just like you ease the throttle down. doesnt die just slows down. Take back to idle it run then ease back into and it runs awhile then slows back down. I first thought it was fuel pump so I rebuilt it. that didnt help and I dont beleive it is drawing air anywhere. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many times if it seems like a fuel problem it actually is electrical. Once had a friend with an inboard with similar problems. He had recently had it serviced and the problems appeared. Turned out to be a bad set of NEW spark plugs!

I cheap thing to try is replacement of the spark plugs. Maybe after the plugs gets hot they are failing and when it is cold they work properly. Just my 2 cents..........

Good luck fixing it.
kvzeyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

You might take a section of fuel hose and run it from a gas can, by putting the hoe and bulb in the can. Pump the bulb and run it. if it keeps running, its the tank pick up, vent clogged, or air leak in fuel hose. There might also be a one way valve that is clogged in the bulb or inline in the pickup. Use good clamps on all fuel hose unions. If it acts the same, obviously its not the fuel system, but the pump, carb or something else. Is the motor running hot? Does the motor run good when you pump the bulb? Does it run hot? maybe its the too hot feature.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
outlaw-outdoors
Bass Master

Nope doesnt run hot the water pump is working fine and I think I may have it narrowed down to an over rev sensor which its not over revvin or the low oil sensor or sumthing in the wiring of the two. Im goin to try to get a new oil sending unit tomarrow. The owners manual said that when one of the two are activated it will automaticly lower the rpms and intermittedly fire. If its not fixed looks like ill be puttin around for the tourney sat.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
gcracker89

Sounds like a fuel filter is pluged or the pick up in the tank has a screen on it pluging up.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
Kooker19

Sounds electrical to me also. I had a 25 foot proline wih twin 200's and one of them was doing that kind of thing. Got it checked out and found out it was electrical, but I'm no mechanic.
Kooker19 is offline   Reply With Quote