Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Danyanimal

Anyone have a tank for lobsters?

I'm looking to make a tank for lobsters. Mostly because the idea of having fresh lobster whenever I want it sounds rad. Only issue is, I have no room indoors and can only have one outdoors. Anyone know how big of a tank I'd need and if it's at all possible to have one outside? I don't wanna be cruel to the little dudes after all...

I've worked at a couple aquarium stores in the past so I know how to run a tank, I just have no idea what to do with lobsters.

Also, are there any special requirements? How long can they live in a tank?
Danyanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Dannowar

Re: Anyone have a tank for lobsters?

I would imagine it's very difficult to keep a saltwater environment that will sustain them for more than a few days. Def gonna need a chiller.
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Danyanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
I would imagine it's very difficult to keep a saltwater environment that will sustain them for more than a few days. Def gonna need a chiller.
Yeah, I was worried about that. Especially considering how hot this winter is. Chillers are super expensive too.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

No offense but it sounds like a waste of time, considering frozen tails taste exactly the same as right out of the ocean
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
HEX
Hector F.

I agree with others. Definitely too much work and money to keep lobsters, plus not too sure here but I believe you need a permit to keep live lobsters in a tank. All power to you if you still decide to go for it. Good luck breh.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

You might want to check and see if you need some kind of permit. I would not be surprised if you need a permit to keep a fish or bug alive you already caught legally in CA. Of course it's hard to imagine a neighbor narking on your pet lobster
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
Danyanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
You might want to check and see if you need some kind of permit. I would not be surprised if you need a permit to keep a fish or bug alive you already caught legally in CA. Of course it's hard to imagine a neighbor narking on your pet lobster
I wouldn't put it past them considering how my neighbors threatened to call the fire department on me because I lit a firecracker.

And you guys are probably right. I just thought it'd be cool to have some lobsters crawling around in my backyard. Might just stick to frozen tails.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyanimal View Post
my neighbors threatened to call the fire department on me because I lit a firecracker.
I hate neighbors like that. Luckily the only neighbors we had that were sensitive like that moved out last year.
No one liked them, kids would even leave lit dog shit on their door step lmao!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
ChasinButts

They keep them in the industrial tanks with the same set up (as far as I can tell) from the "east coast" bugs at a couple of Chinese restaurants I've been to. I'm sure it's doable but definately not cheap... Nothing salt water and aquarium is cheap... As for legal implications, I have no clue. Save yourseld the hassle and doe and get you a decent vacuum sealer
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Danyanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinButts View Post
They keep them in the industrial tanks with the same set up (as far as I can tell) from the "east coast" bugs at a couple of Chinese restaurants I've been to. I'm sure it's doable but definately not cheap... Nothing salt water and aquarium is cheap... As for legal implications, I have no clue. Save yourseld the hassle and doe and get you a decent vacuum sealer
Already got one! I've got too much free time though and I like projects, haha.

The vacuum sealer kicks ass though. Keeps some fish good for like, 4 months.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #11
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Lobsters are very easy to keep alive in a tank. Set it up with some sand from the beach, throw in some rocks, hook up a chiller. Done.
I've had like 20 in a tank at an aquarium I used to work at once and in another one we kept a 13lber for a while.
They are like damsel fish, you can't kill them lol
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 AM   #12
jhill528

A cheap alternative might just be to run a recirculating hose in a coil setup through a mini fridge/freezer. The circulation should keep the fluid from freezing yet chill the water before going back in the tank. Just a thought.
jhill528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #13
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill528 View Post
A cheap alternative might just be to run a recirculating hose in a coil setup through a mini fridge/freezer. The circulation should keep the fluid from freezing yet chill the water before going back in the tank. Just a thought.
I have kept salwater tanks all my life. Dont forget the sump and the protein skimmer. A chiller is a necessity especially in socal.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #14
Danyanimal

I'm seeing some hope in this project... Jhill, I saw that idea just now on some DYI site. Looks like it could work!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:59 AM   #15
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyanimal View Post
I'm seeing some hope in this project... Jhill, I saw that idea just now on some DYI site. Looks like it could work!
Possession of live lobster is not legal unless you have a collectors' permit.

And, the double jeopardy of keeping an over-limit situation, or short lobster would make for a living hell if you were ever called on the carpet for your tank.

I did have a collecting permit quite a few years back. I had sculpin, baby calico bass, and sometimes lobster in the tank. It was easy to keep the tank; once the environment is stable, it stays pretty stable. Temps can be kept down by tank location and shading, and keeping lights of a low temp. type of bulbs. I ran a chiller for a while, but often it was not necessary. My tank would hover around 70 degrees, which was fine for my kept fish.

Remember, don't release ANY kept fish back into the wild. They can have concentrations of diseases which have a bad effect once unleashed out of the controlled environment you created.

The permits are pretty affordable. I believe they are around $75 if I remember correctly.