Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing > California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA)

California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA) Here is a dedicated forum for the extremely important MLPA & MPA process

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.59 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #61
ocean_314

Re: NorCal Marine Life Protection Act - Stakeholder Log

What are the modified enhanced compliance alternatives? And how dose change the MLPA's that the local groups put forth?
ocean_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #62
Brandi
the ocean nutures my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_314 View Post
What are the modified enhanced compliance alternatives? And how dose change the MLPA's that the local groups put forth?
I understand there is going to be another announcement on the DFG site later this week with more details on all the motions. In the meantime, I will do my best to summarize. It does not change the MPA shapes NCRSG designed in our proposal in their motions Oct 25-26. Still 13.1%.

The 'enhanced compliance alternative' motion by Greg Schem is option 3d from document V1 (see http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meeting_102510.asp for document) which is the NC proposal with Mod-Hi LOP (what we did all agree to - NCRSG supplemental narrative, doc E1 same web reference above also reiterates our desire to maintain at least a Mod Hi LOP) with the addition of 'ribbons' to accommodate tribal use in all SMCAs except the Reading Rock cluster. DFG will not support a triple MPA cluster because of enforcement feasibility and public understanding. With the additional LOP re-designations by SAT for tribal uses, the SAT recently upgraded the LOP for pelagic finfish by spearfishing to HIGH LOP. I had requested to have this allowance added to all SMCAs, and Greg included this in his motion. Also in the motion is to retain the existing SMCAs (which NCRSG generally supported not retaining in the unified proposal) without change to the existing SMCAs sizes or allowances. This 'enhanced compliance alternative' motion most likely will be considered as it most meets 'guidelines' as well as meets the needs of the NC community - and is amazingly supported by many individuals/groups/organizations!

Does that help answer your question?

"The ocean changes with every tide" ~ Kenny Tallman

"If you involved in politics there is always going to be someone who is upset with you. You can never do the right thing for everyone." ~ JL
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #63
ocean_314

Thank you Brandi, your answer was very helpful in understanding what is going on.

I am very impressed on what you and all the other members of the RSG accomplished.
ocean_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #64
Brandi

DFG announcement posted

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/recommendations_nc.asp

MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force Recommendations for the North Coast Study Region

At its meeting on October 25-26, 2010, the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) adopted seven motions with recommendations related to marine protected areas (MPAs) and special closures in the MLPA North Coast Study Region.

* News release: Task Force Approves Recommendations to Complete California's Open Coast Marine Protected Areas

The BRTF recommendations are specific to the work of the California Fish and Game Commission, California Department of Fish and Game, and California Department of Parks and Recreation, or more generally to the State of California. An attachment to the document summarizes the actions resulting from the motions adopted by the BRTF, including which proposed MPAs or special closures are affected, the source of their design, and any modifications to the design.

* Motions Adopted by the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force on October 26, 2010 Regarding Recommendations for the MLPA North Coast Study Region (November 16, 2010)

As a result of these recommendations, two MPA proposals and a special closures recommendation are being forwarded to the California Fish and Game Commission for consideration:

* The "Revised Round 3 NCRSG MPA Proposal", which is the MPA proposal developed by the MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (NCRSG), revised to incorporate the recommendation by the NCRSG to rename the Ten Mile MPAs after Skip Wollenberg and the staff recommended updates to the recreational take intended to accommodate tribal uses.
* The "North Coast Enhanced Compliance Alternative MPA Proposal", which builds off the Revised Round 3 NCRSG MPA Proposal, and includes modifications to improve compliance with science guidelines and California Department of Fish and Game feasibility criteria.
* The "North Coast Special Closures Recommendation", which was developed by the NCRSG and supported by the BRTF.

The BRTF recommendations come after extensive science evaluation, and stakeholder and public input over 16 months. The MLPA North Coast Study Region extends from the California/Oregon border to Alder Creek near Point Arena in Mendocino County.

The MPA proposals and special closures will be analyzed by the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT), California Department of Fish and Game (DFG), California Department of Parks and Recreation (California State Parks), and MLPA Initiative staff. The proposals, special closures and associated evaluations will be transmitted to the California Fish and Game Commission.

"If you involved in politics there is always going to be someone who is upset with you. You can never do the right thing for everyone." ~ JL
Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #65
Brandi

Hello Divers,

Please read through the THREE messages below (Matt has posted them individually to the MLPA/MPA section) - and note the following:

1. The BRTF is having an additional meeting on December 9th at 10:00 am.
2. To help people understand the reasoning behind the additional BRTF meeting, MLPAI staff are holding office hours Nov. 30th and Dec. 2nd
3. The SAT meeting planned for December 6th is now postponed until January 2010.

Safe diving,
Brandi

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Melissa Miller-Henson <melissa@resources.ca.gov>
> Date: November 25, 2010 12:53:02 AM GMT+00:00
> To: <MLPAInitiative@lists.resources.ca.gov>
> Subject: [MLPA Initiative] Message from BRTF Chair Gustafson to the north coast community
>
> To: Members of the north coast community and other interested parties
> From: Cindy Gustafson, Chair, MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
> Date: November 24, 2010
> Subject: Additional meeting of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
> Cc: BRTF members, MLPA I-Team members
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> At its meeting on October 25-26, 2010, the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) adopted seven motions with recommendations related to marine protected areas (MPAs) and special closures in the MLPA North Coast Study Region; the fourth of those motions was related to the development of the “North Coast Enhanced Compliance Alternative MPA Proposal.”
>
> At the conclusion of the October meeting, MLPA Initiative staff initiated an extensive quality control process to ensure that the motions accurately reflected the BRTF’s intent and to ensure that staff had accurately translated the BRTF’s intent into action items. Based on feedback from BRTF members, it became clear that some individuals had different understandings about Motion 4. Attached is a copy of a message to me from BRTF member Greg Schem that highlights his concerns regarding Motion 4 and outlines his intention when putting forth the motion during the October meeting.
>
> I am convening an additional meeting of the BRTF on December 9, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. to address different interpretations of Motion 4 and to explore the need for additional actions. Addressing this as part of the planning process will help ensure that the California Fish and Game Commission receives recommendations that fairly reflect what BRTF members intended and that the MLPA North Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (NCRSG) and broader north coast community are involved in the discussion. I believe it is also essential that the north coast community’s unified MPA proposal be reflected in any MPA proposal put forward by the BRTF.
>
> The December 9 meeting will be in the form of a teleconference and webinar with three public participation locations in the study region; a draft agenda will be posted after the Thanksgiving holiday. I am encouraging BRTF and NCRSG members to attend the meeting at one of the three public participation locations. During the meeting the BRTF will clarify the intent of Motion 4, which was put forward in order to create a “book-end” alternative for coming closer to meeting the science guidelines while maintaining the placement of MPAs as developed by the NCRSG, and to discuss the need for an additional recommendation to adequately address the original intent.
>
> The design described in Option 3b from a staff memo circulated for the October meeting seems most consistent with Greg Schem’s intent. We will only be discussing whether to add this option to the other two proposals already approved by the BRTF. The MPA design described in Option 3b would not alter the placement of MPAs developed by the stakeholders, but attempts to strengthen the level of protection to be consistent with the science guidelines, as done in other study regions.
>
> This meeting will focus on the original intent for Motion 4 and is not an opportunity for generating or furthering new ideas; it will not reopen discussion of any recommendations made by the BRTF during its October 25-26, 2010 meeting. All recommendations (motions 1-7) made during the October meeting, together with any additional recommendations approved by the BRTF during the December 8 meeting, will be forwarded to the California Fish and Game Commission in February.
>
> We thank members of the north coast community for your patience and understanding as the BRTF works to ensure that its final recommendations honor the NCRSG’s unified MPA proposal, accurately reflect the intentions of the BRTF, and respect the unique environmental conditions and important cultural and socioeconomic interests specific to the north coast.
>
> _______________________________________________Beg in forwarded message:

> Date: November 25, 2010 4:30:39 AM GMT+00:00
> Subject: [MLPA Initiative] MLPA staff office hours by telephone!
>
> California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative Announcement
>
> Who: MLPA Initiative staff
>
> What: Office hours by phone! Staff will be available to answer questions about the
> upcoming MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force meeting, help you locate information
> on the website, etc.
>
> When: Tuesday, November 30 from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. (join staff anytime during that hour)
> Thursday, December 2 from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. (join staff anytime during that hour)
>
> Where: Via teleconference
> Phone: 866.316.1519 (toll-free)
> Passcode: 894784#
>
> Date: November 24, 2010 10:28:36 PM GMT+00:00
> Subject: [MLPA Initiative] Next SAT meeting to be held in January 2011
>
> California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative Announcement
>
> Who: MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team
>
> What: Eleventh meeting
>
> When: Originally scheduled for Monday, December 6, it will now be held in
> mid-January; details forthcoming after the Thanksgiving holiday
>
> Where: Via teleconference and webinar
>
>
> From the MLPA I-Team, we wish you a very happy Thanksgiving holiday!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Greg Schem Letter 11-16-10.pdf (8.4 KB, 396 views)

Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #66
Brandi

The DFG analysis of the North Coast Unified proposal came out recently. See Matt Mattison's SB post

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=116220

A front page article in todays Times Standard addresses some responses to the analysis

http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_16783064

The Blue Ribbon Task Force will be having a webinar this Thursday Dec 9th 10am where this analysis maybe discussed. What will be discussed is a possible third unified proposal motion. I will be in attendance at the Eureka node.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meeting_120910.asp

Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #67
Brandi

The quick report from this mornings BRTF meeting...
no additional motions were made to the 7 motions already approved from their Oct 25-26 meeting. Since there was no motion, there was no public comment. Meeting concluded at 11am

Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #68
Brandi

Hi Divers,

A question was asked I thought best to provide an answer to all.

Question:
"Are the North Coast MLPA's going to go into effect before April 1st?"

Answer:
No, there is still more to the process that needs to occur before the MLPA on the North Coast is implemented: in a brief nutshell - recommendations to DFGC, CEQA, EIR and then regulations. The earliest it will go into effect is March/April 2012

Safe diving,
Brandi

Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #69
Brandi

Hi All,

I am planning on attending the DFGC meeting February 2-3 when the NC Blue Ribbon Task Force presents their North Coast MLPA recommendations to the Department of Fish and Game Commission. I am hoping there may be a couch or floor in the Sacto area I can take advantage of while I am there. Please email me if you can help me out with lodging! NCRSG_2010@yahoo.com.

Hope to see you all there!

Thanks!
Brandi

Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #70
Brandi

Happy New Year All,

Just a friendly reminder that there will be the NC SAT Webinar this coming Thursday. Tune in!
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_n.asp#sat

Safe diving,
Brandi

Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #71
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Hi All,

I am planning on attending the DFGC meeting February 2-3 when the NC Blue Ribbon Task Force presents their North Coast MLPA recommendations to the Department of Fish and Game Commission. I am hoping there may be a couch or floor in the Sacto area I can take advantage of while I am there. Please email me if you can help me out with lodging! NCRSG_2010@yahoo.com.

Hope to see you all there!

Thanks!
Brandi
I have a place to stay. What a great community!! Thank you all who responded publicly and privately.

Safe diving,
Brandi

Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #72
Brandi

Joint Fisheries on Aquaculture and Fisheries will be holding a hearing this Friday January 21 at 10am Supervisors chambers, first floor, Humboldt County Courthouse, 825 Fifth Street, Eureka

http://www.times-standard.com/news/ci_17135342

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #73
Brandi

>
> Legislative committee to meet on MLPA in advance of Fish and Game meeting on marine reserves
> John Driscoll/The Times-Standard
> Posted: 01/19/2011 01:22:15 AM PST
> Updated: 01/19/2011 01:22:15 AM PST
>
>
>
> The state Legislature's Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture will meet on Friday in Eureka to hear concerns regarding an upcoming decision by state regulators on marine reserves along the North Coast.
>
> The committee was just put together this week and is being chaired by Assemblyman Wesley Chesbro. The Arcata Democrat wanted the community to have a chance to voice their opinions about the Marine Life Protection Act Initiative and a proposal generated by local stakeholders. The California Fish and Game Commission is scheduled to hear the matter on Feb. 2.
>
> ”It's critical that we hold a local hearing in advance so that North Coast residents who can't travel to Sacramento have a voice,” Chesbro said.
>
> At the joint committee hearing, MLPA staff will give an overview of the process, the Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation District's Adam Wagschal will summarize the North Coast unified proposal and tribes, members of a Blue Ribbon Task Force and other regional constituents will give presentations. Public comment will be taken toward the end of the hearing.
>
> The MLPA has been highly controversial along the California coast, and the Fish and Game Commission has previously had to weigh several different proposals in each region. The North Coast was the first region to produce a single proposal supported by all stakeholders, including fishing representatives, seaweed gatherers and environmentalists.
>
> The Fish and Game Commission could adopt the proposal or modify it at the Sacramento meeting. But Chesbro's office said the hearing before the joint committee is meant to show the strong support for the unified proposal. Chesbro intends to testify at the Fish and Game Commission meeting.
>
> The hearing begins at 10 a.m. at the Humboldt County Board of Supervisors chambers.
>
> _________________________
>
> If you go:
>
> What: Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture meeting
>
> When: Friday
>
> When: 10 a.m.
>
> Where: Supervisors Chamber, first floor, Humboldt County Courthouse, 825 Fifth St.
> ---
>
>
> North Coast MLPA Hearing Draft Agenda
> Humboldt County Board of Supervisors Chambers - Eureka, CA
> January 21, 2011 10 a.m.
>
> I. Wiyot Prayer - Cheryl Seidner
>
> II. Introductions - Chair
>
> III. MLPA Overview
> Ken Wiseman - Executive Director, MLPAI
> Melissa Miller-Henson - Program Manager, MLPAI
>
> IV. Unified Proposal Description
> Adam Wagschal – Regional Stakeholders Group
>
> V. Native American Panel
> 1. Thomas O’Rourke - Yurok Tribe
> 2. Russ Crabtree - Smith River Rancheria
> 3. Jacque Hostler - Trinidad Rancheria
> 4. Undetermined - Wiyot Tribe
> 5. Undetermined - Bear River/Rohnerville Rancheria
> 6. Hawk Rosales – InterTribal Sinkyone Wilderness Council
> 7. Atta Stevenson - California Indian Heritage Council
> 8. Undetermined - Noyo River Indian Community
> 9. Undetermined - Elk Valley Rancheria
>
> VI. Blue Ribbon Task Force/Regional Stakeholders Group/ Constituents
>
> 1. Local Government Representatives Panel
>
> 1. Jimmy Smith - Humboldt Board of Supervisors
> 2. Martha McClure - Del Norte Board of Supervisors
> 3. Kendall Smith - Mendocino Board of Supervisors
> 4. Doug Hammerstrom -Fort Bragg City Council
> 5. Richard Young - Crescent City Harbor Master
>
> 2. Stakeholders/Constituents - Panel #1
> 1. Jennifer Savage - Oceans Conservancy
> 2. Tom Trumper - Urchin Fisherman
> 3. Bill Lemos - NRDC
> 4. Brandi Easter - Recreational Divers
> 5. Zack Larson - Del Norte F&G Advisory Commission
>
> Stakeholders/Constituents - Panel #2
>
> 6. Dave Jensen - Audubon Society
> 7. Aaron Newman - Humboldt Fisherman’s Marketing Association
> 8. Tim Klassen - Humboldt Area Saltwater Anglers
> 9. Pete Nichols - Humboldt Baykeeper
> 10. Dave Bitts - Pacific Coast Federation of Fisherman’s Association
>
>
> VII. Public Comment
>
> VIII. Closing Comments by Committee Chair
>
>

Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #74
Brandi

> From: Anita Biedermann <ABIEDERMANN@fgc.ca.gov>
> Date: January 20, 2011 1:11:05 PM PST
> To: Anita Biedermann <ABIEDERMANN@fgc.ca.gov>
> Cc: Jon Fischer <JFischer@fgc.ca.gov>
> Subject: Fish and Game Commission Meeting Agenda for February 2-3, 2011 in Sacramento
>
> Attached is the Fish and Game Commission Meeting Agenda for February 2-3, 2011 in Sacramento.
>
> Thank you
>
> Anita Biedermann
> California Fish and Game Commission
> (916) 653-1803
> (916) 653-5040 fax
> abiedermann@fgc.ca.gov
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DFGC BRTF FINAL 11_02_0304 A(2).pdf (42.6 KB, 385 views)

Old 02-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #75
Brandi

In Sacramento yesterday, Feb 2, the joint DFGC/BRTF meeting was held where our Unified Proposal was presented with over 100 in attendance. Secty of Resources, Senator Evans and Assemblyman Chesbro all spoke in favor of the Unified Proposal and to honor tribal uses. Over 65 people presented public comment - most PC were tribal members and most PC (tribal and non-tribal) in favor of the Unified Proposal. At the end of the day, Sutton gave proposed direction for the DFGC, which was unanimously agreed, to give to the Initiative Team and DFG to look at the uniqueness of the region, do their best to accommodate the tribes in a separate category so that they can continue with their traditional gathering and be mindful of the DFG feasibility analysis: to move forward as consistent with the Unified Revised North Coast Proposal (RNCP) as best possible, consider the shortcomings of the RNCP cited in the DFG feasibility analysis, respond to Lairds request to seek resolution of tribal uses administratively in 4 weeks and present an IPA so they can proceed with the CEQA process (or progress report of the IPA) at the April DFGC meeting in Folsom.

Here is a link to today's Times Standard article about the meeting
http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_17282734